Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Creepypasta

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 348 comments Is there a policy regarding adding short stories that originated online? I'm thinking of creepypastas, which are short horror stories (and occasionally novellas) that originate on message boards and forums such as the Nosleep subreddit and 4chan. They are often cataloged on the Creepypasta Wiki, which we can use as the official URL. The author is usually Unknown and they would fall under the category of ebooks.

Anansi's Goatman Story was already on here and I added Barbie.avi. These are both very well-known creepypastas and can be considered classics of the genre.

While they are not books in the traditional sense, they are works of fiction and imagination. As discussed in my review for 100 Wild Little Weird Tales , they are arguably the descendants of the old pulp stories.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments general rule for stories (often mentioned when talking about wattpad) is: format has to be set ebook and must be a completed story not an ongoing one

message 3: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments This seems a slippery slope to me, we'll end up with all of 4chan and nosleep listed here. Or any random web page. There's a huge amount of fiction, particularly flash fiction, posted on message boards, but that doesn't make them books. Or published.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43526 comments Mod
We generally also limit published-by-posting-on-sites ebooks to those that are book-length. These don't appear to so qualify.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 348 comments I wouldn't suggest adding something that only appears on Reddit or 4Chan, since those threads can be deleted, but the Creepypasta Wiki provides a stable URL. A lot of these authors go on to publish or feature their stories in published anthologies. Mr. Creepy Pasta has come out with a couple.

East of the Web also features short stories published to the Internet and generally not available as downloadable ebooks, and I've found several of their stories on Goodreads as well.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43526 comments Mod
Just because a user has added an item to Goodreads does not mean it meets our standards for inclusion.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments rivka wrote: "We generally also limit published-by-posting-on-sites ebooks to those that are book-length. These don't appear to so qualify."

sounds reasonable. Will remember that.