Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December 2017 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
December 2017 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A stories size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, you must identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected. Also, please make an effort to insure that the story you nominate is available for most members to access. It doesn't have to be free, but indicate a place to search, like Amazon, Local Libraries, Project Guttenberg, etc.

6. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate The Last Night of Ballyhoo, a play by Alfred Uhry, holiday themed and fun for December.

message 3: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 852 comments I'll nominate the play R.U.R. aka Rossums Universal Robots by Karel Čapek good read but theres also a pretty nice audio version free on Librivox.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments I'll nominate To Build a Fire by Jack London

message 7: by Abby (new)

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 588 comments I'll nominate Double Indemnity by James M. Cain

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Ann wrote: "I nominate The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens."

I'll second this.

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, published in 1944 and 48 pages.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 104 comments Sue wrote: "I'll nominate To Build a Fire by Jack London"

I second this!

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "I'll nominate the play R.U.R. aka Rossums Universal Robots by Karel Čapek good read but theres also a pretty nice audio version free on Librivox."

Ooh, this sounds interesting, I'll second it.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments Tina wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'll nominate To Build a Fire by Jack London"

I second this!"

Thank you Tina!

message 14: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll nominate "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor again - third time's the charm?

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1010 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, published in 1944 and 48 pages."

Seconded!

message 16: by Zoe (new)

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Michele wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, published in 1944 and 48 pages."

Seconded!"

Yea! Thanks Michele! 😊

message 18: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 561 comments Zoe wrote: "I nominate A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf"

Second!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Zoe wrote: "I nominate A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf"

Third! :-)

message 20: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 439 comments Zoe wrote: "I nominate A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf"

I'll fourth this one. :) One of my favorites. Would not mind a reread.

message 21: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Abby wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote."

I'll second this one

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments I'll nominate The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells. Despite what the default edition says, it is definitely not 472 pages. All the other editions show about 60 pages.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Since it'll be around the holidays, I would like to nominate Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann. Lengths seem to vary, but most seem to be in the 100-120 page range.

message 24: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3058 comments Francisca wrote: "I'll nominate "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor again - third time's the charm?"

I would like to read some Flannery O'Connor. I just never make time. So I second A Good Man Is Hard To Find

message 25: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Oct 02, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1677 comments Emily wrote: "I'll nominate The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells. Despite what the default edition says, it is definitely not 472 pages. All the other editions show about 60 pages."

I checked that. It is not a error. The default edition is a Large Print Edition - it really is 472 pages.

message 26: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 852 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I checked that. It is not a error. The default edition is a Large Print Edition - it really is 472 pages...."

Thats a bit of a confusing statment, while the page count is not an error correct , there is still an error, which is that its the Large Print edition :P .
In any case for normal people, yes Country of the Blind is about 60 pages or so.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "I checked that. It is not a error. The default edition is a Large Print Edition - it really is 472 pages...."

Thats a bit of a confusing statment, while the page count is not ..."

WOW that must be extremely large font...but I can attest to the fact that it only took me about an hour to read....and I don't read 472 pages in an hour, trust me...lol.

message 28: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Oct 02, 2017 02:28PM) (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I'll nominate The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells. Despite what the default edition says, it is definitely not 472 pages. All the other editions show about 60 pages."

The default edition when linked to Amazon indicates a book of several stories. The number of pages listed on the table of contents for The Country of the Blind is 39 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055...

I looked at three online PDF copies of this story, two were under 30 pages and one was 30 pages. I can see no reason this isn't a valid nomination. It gets a second and it goes to the poll.

message 29: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate 'Summer' by Edith Wharton

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments I never thought to nominate a play. How about The Lion in Winter by James Goldman

This edition has 60 pages (I checked my copy). The default edition says it has 103 pages.

It is set at Christmas so is particularly appropriate for the December nominations.

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Ada wrote: "I nominate 'Summer' by Edith Wharton"

I am aware that Summer was passed forward to the poll last month and as much as I love Wharton's writing I am going to rule it ineligible for nomination. Refer to message #1 rule #2 & #3. It even appears that the original publication in 1917 was 194 pages. Please nominate another story.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I would like to nominate a different EDITH WHARTON story!

I nominate The Eyes by Edith Wharton ! It sounds creepy AND the Audible audio book is like, 50 cents! Awesome deal, I think. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 33: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments I'll second Jennifer Lynn's nomination of The Eyes by Edith Wharton.

message 34: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3058 comments Hey Matt I will second The Eyes. I would be glad to read another of Wharton's stories.

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3958 comments Lots of great options already, but I want to second Karen's nomination of The Lion in Winter. The Peter O'Toole/Katharine Hepburn movie is one of my favorites, and this should be perfect for December.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments Kathleen wrote: "Lots of great options already, but I want to second Karen's nomination of The Lion in Winter. The Peter O'Toole/Katharine Hepburn movie is one of my favorites, and this should be perf..."

Thank you Kathleen!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments Matt wrote: "I'll second Jennifer Lynn's nomination of The Eyes by Edith Wharton."

Wicked! Thanks, Matt and Cynda! All too often I download Audible clips/books with the best intentions and fervent belief that I will devour the entire book immediately, and then it sits in my files, not listened to, despite those best intentions. I especially hate it when this happens to classics that I download and have always meant to read, you know...? --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 38: by maja (new)

maja | 41 comments My nomination is The Polar Express.

message 39: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I nominate A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf"

Second!"

Thanks

message 40: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3058 comments Kathleen wrote: "Lots of great options already, but I want to second Karen's nomination of The Lion in Winter. The Peter O'Toole/Katharine Hepburn movie is one of my favorites, and this should be perf..."

Those two great actors were so perfect for those roles--so cool and powerful as actors.

message 41: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 130 comments Pink wrote: "Wreade1872 wrote: "I'll nominate the play R.U.R. aka Rossums Universal Robots by Karel Čapek good read but theres also a pretty nice audio version free on Librivox."

Ooh, this sounds..."

A third for RUR! My boyfriend bought it last year when we went to Prague and it would be delightful to borrow from him :)

message 42: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Oct 14, 2017 06:13AM) (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Five days into nominations and we have been busy, 15 total nominations to date. her is where we stand.

Nominated Only:
The Last Night of Ballyhoo by Alfred Uhry, 96 pages, 1997
Nominated by Brina

The Widow and the Parrot by Virginia Woolf, 32 pages, 1985?
Nominated by Solange

The Country of the Blind Title Story, H.G. Wells, 39 pages +-, 1904
Nominated by Emily

Nominated & Seconded:
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, 32 pages or less, 1905
Nominated by Bob - Seconded by Kelly

R.U.R. by Karel Čapek, 84 pages, 1920
Nominated by Wreade1872 - Seconded by Pink, Barbara

To Build a Fire by Jack London, 32 pages, 1903
Nominated by Sue - Seconded by Tina

The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens, 84 pages, 1845
Nominated by Ann - Seconded by Sarah

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote, 48 pages, 1956
Nominated by Abby - Seconded by Tonia

The Eyes by Edith Wharton, 48 pages, 1910
Nominated by Jennifer Lynn - Seconded by Matt, Cynda

The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, 48 pages, 1944
Nominated by Loretta - Seconded by Michele

A Good Man Is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor, 24 pages, 1955
Nominated by Francisca - Seconded by Cynda

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf, 112 pages, 1929
Nominated by Zoe - Seconded by Aprilleigh, Christine, Piyangie

The Lion in Winter by James Goldman, 60 pages, 1966
Nominated by Karen - Seconded by Kathleen

Double Indemnity by James M. Cain, 115 pages, 1936
Nominated by Angie - Seconded by Darren

Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann, 120 pages, 1815
Nominated by Sarah - Seconded by Cindy

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg, 32 pages, 1985
Nominated by Ina - Seconded by Michelle

message 43: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments Angie wrote: "I'll nominate Double Indemnity by James M. Cain"

I second this.

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 58 comments I will second Nutcracker by E T A Hoffman.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellevoorhees) | 111 comments I will second The Polar Express.

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Updated

message 47: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
I nominate The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, 32 pages or less, 1905

This is a good Christmas story and we don't have any O'Henry on our shelf, yet.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Cindy wrote: "I will second Nutcracker by E T A Hoffman."

Thanks, Cindy!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I second The Gift of the Magi

message 50: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3058 comments I second The Eyes by Edith Wharton

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.