Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] Suggestions for 15th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 03, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past two years that we are creating another list for 2018.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2018 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for four days so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. The process has been unpredictable this year but we are striving for a completed list in November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "seconded" per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced enough at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 seconded suggestions are received.

Now that we only have 5 spots remaining, it's important to see how your suggestion would fit in with the rest of the list: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Poll Entries:
- A book with a title that is a whole sentence
- A non-fiction book and a fiction book covering the same topic (2 weeks)
- A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot
- A book involving or set at a circus, carnival or amusement park
- Spin the tbr wheel for your next read
- A book with a black cover
- A book featuring a game as a main element or has game in the title
- A favorite author of your favorite author
- A book with a character featured in a previous/other book by the author
- A book that makes you think
- A book where the main character is in another age category than you
- A book featuring a murder/murders (fiction or non-fiction, any genre)
- A book about natural disasters
- A book you consider a “guilty pleasure”
- A book where a character goes by a higher, honorific or professional title
- A book related to an animal (on the cover, in the title, or as a companion or character)
- A book that passes the Mako Mori test
- A biography / memoir / autobiography
- A book with the theme of human vs. nature or human vs. their environment
- A book with some mode of transportation pictured on the cover (i.e. plane, train, boat, bike, rickshaw, etc.)

Available to be Seconded:
- A book with an article of clothing on the cover or in the title
- A book with different shades of only one color on the cover
- A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title

Done!

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments A favorite author of your favorite author.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2295 comments A book with a title that is a whole sentence

Here's a list but you aren't limited to it

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

One from my shelf: Funerals are Fatal by Agatha Christie.

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1719 comments I will second A book with a title that is a sentence

message 5: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Kathy wrote: "A book with a title that is a whole sentence

..."

I love that idea! very intriguing!!

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 851 comments The link to the list so far is broken.

message 7: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments A non-fiction book and a fiction book covering the same topic.

message 8: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 730 comments I'll second a fiction and nonfiction book on the same topic.

message 9: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Chrissy, it's fixed. Copy and paste got me :)

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7391 comments Mod
Would the fiction and nonfiction book be a two-week prompt?

message 11: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1346 comments Mod
A book with a black cover

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 316 comments A book with an article of clothing on the cover or in the title.

message 13: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 851 comments A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments A book involving or set at a circus, carnival or amusement park.

message 15: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Chrissy wrote: "A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot."

I second a book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot.

message 16: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Katie wrote: "A book involving or set at a circus, carnival or amusement park."

I second this one.

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria (malianikeki) | 92 comments A book with different shades of only one color on the cover.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 943 comments Chrissy wrote: "A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot."

Isn't this the same as a book with the location in the title?

message 19: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2976 comments Jill wrote: "Chrissy wrote: "A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot."

Isn't this the same as a book with the location in the title?"

I don't think they are the same. A location in the title does not necessarily mean that the location has much impact on the plot. A location central to the plot might be climbing the Himalayan Mountains, a road trip on route 66, surviving being stuck on a remote island, crossing the atlantic on a steamship, cowboys working on a prairie, etc. The whole story wouldn't exist without that particular location. I am not sure how others feel about it though.

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie | 713 comments It's "A book with a location in the title" - a instead of the is a really subtle difference, but I think it makes a big difference to the interpretation of the prompt.

Just from my TBR Looking for Alaska and Middlesex both have locations in the title, but (so far as I'm aware), those places play no part in the story.

message 21: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2976 comments I don't know how to word this well but this is the idea:

Spin the tbr wheel for your next read

Enter 5-100 books from your tbr into the wheel on wheeldecide.com and then spin to choose your next book. (For more of a challenge, enter genres or reject categories to choose from).

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 943 comments Chrissy wrote: "A book where the geographical setting is central to the writing or plot."

Sorry my mistake. I read it wrong 🙈

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I like the tbr wheel idea. I'll second it!

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 943 comments Jackie wrote: "A book with a black cover"

I second this one

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments A book featuring a game as a main element or has game in the title

message 26: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Matta | 5 comments Jessica wrote: "A book featuring a game as a main element or has game in the title"

I'll second this one about the game.

message 27: by Nadja (new)

Nadja | 214 comments A book with a character featured in a previous/other book by the author

message 28: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments I will second Manda's prompt "favorite author of your favorite author"

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments Nadja wrote: "A book with a character featured in a previous/other book by the author"

I second this one. We have very few prompts about characters.

message 30: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

11 spots left :)

message 31: by D.L. (new)

D.L. | 26 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "I don't know how to word this well but this is the idea:

Spin the tbr wheel for your next read

Enter 5-100 books from your tbr into the wheel on wheeldecide.com and then spin to choose your next ..."

Seconding!

message 32: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 01, 2017 04:56AM) (new)

Daph, that one has already been seconded. Feel free to suggest or second something else.

message 33: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 789 comments I'm gonna try again with A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title.

message 35: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I'll second the book that makes you think.

message 36: by Perri (last edited Oct 01, 2017 11:52AM) (new)

Perri | 782 comments A book with some mode of transportation pictured on the cover: plane, train, boat, bike, rickshaw....

message 37: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments A book where the main character is in another age category than you

(ex: if you're an adult around 30yo, you can read a child, YA or senior character)

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments Zaz wrote: "A book where the main character is in another age category than you

(ex: if you're an adult around 30yo, you can read a child, YA or senior character)"

I'll second that.

message 39: by Vicky (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) | 23 comments A book you consider a “guilty pleasure”

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) A book about natural disasters

message 41: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments A book featuring a murder/murders.

(Could be any genre, could be fiction or non-fiction)

message 42: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments Francesca wrote: "A book featuring a murder/murders (fiction or non-fiction)"

I second this.

message 43: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Jennifer wrote: "A book about natural disasters"

I'll second that

message 44: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
Vicky wrote: "A book you consider a “guilty pleasure”"

I second this suggestion.

message 45: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Any word on if the fiction and nonfiction books about the same topic is a 2-week topic?

message 46: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Yes Emily, it would be a 2 weeks topic.

6 spots left

message 47: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2976 comments Can we add that info (2 weeks) to the end of the prompt when it is added to the poll? People who don't participate in this part of the voting may not understanf they are voting in another multi week prompt otherwise.

I do have to say that I think we already have a multiweek prompt. I thought we decided as a group not to have more than that so I guess I am not sure one should be allowed in this poll. But that is just my probably unpopular opinion on it.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Can we add that info (2 weeks) to the end of the prompt when it is added to the poll? People who don't participate in this part of the voting may not understanf they are voting in another multi wee..."

I also was under the impression that we were done with multi-week prompts. I guess we never outright said whether they would be allowed to be suggested in any future polls, but my impression was that the 5th poll (or whatever it was) that was multi-week only was the place for that. I'm not trying to criticize the prompt itself, since the idea is fine, but I thought the purpose of designating a poll for multi-week prompts was so we could pick one was a group. Like Amy said, I also thought we'd decided that one was enough?

message 49: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 453 comments I'm going to re submit and reword - "A book where a character goes by a higher, honorific or professional title. "
For example : Character has a title (King, Queen, Lord, Lady etc), uses a military rank ( General etc) or is known as 'Doctor' 'Professor' etc.
So this could even cover a non fiction/biography if preferred.

message 50: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I'm not really opposed to it since it is just two weeks and is a pretty open topic. It wasn't stated anywhere that we couldn't do multi-week anywhere else.. I think we should leave it up to the votes. There's only 3 spots left, so if this prompt gets enough votes for two of those spots, I'd say let it in.

« previous 1