Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December 2017 Revisit the Shelf Reread Nominations

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Nominations are open for our December 2017 reread. Only books currently on our group bookshelf are eligible.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Below is a list of the past years reread winners.

Madame Bovary, November 2017
Fahrenheit 451, October 2017
Slaughterhouse-Five, September 2017
The Grapes of Wrath, August 2017
Wuthering Heights, July 2017
Brave New World, June 2017
Lolita, May 2017
Emma, April 2017
The Scarlet Letter, March 2017
The Handmaid's Tale, February 2017
One Hundred Years of Solitude, January 2017
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, December 2016

Nomination Requirements-
1. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

Time Since Last Read
2. A book is only eligible for rereading if it has not been a group read in the last 12 months (1 year). A book read by the group in any of our reading categories in the past year is not eligible for nomination.

3. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and will run till the end of the month

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina I'd like to nominate King Lear.

message 3: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 439 comments I nominate Great Expectations

message 4: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 52 comments I would like to nominate The Moonstone again...fingers crossed.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments I nominate Doctor Zhivago.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Sarah wrote: "I nominate Doctor Zhivago."

December sounds the perfect time for this, I'll second it.

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Pink wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I nominate Doctor Zhivago."

December sounds the perfect time for this, I'll second it."

Thanks, Pink!

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 16 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I'll second this.

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Carol wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I'll second this."

Thank you Carol! 😊

message 12: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1675 comments Brina wrote: "I'd like to nominate King Lear."

I second King Lear

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I was thinking of nominating the one too, so I'll third it :)

message 14: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2618 comments I nominate Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen.

message 15: by Brina (new)

Brina Blueflower, thank you much. Hopefully we can end the year with reading Shakespeare.

message 16: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Renee wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I was thinking of nominating the one too, so I'll third it :)"

Thank you so much Renee! 😊

message 17: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 561 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I reread this every December with my son

message 18: by Loretta (last edited Oct 01, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I reread this every December with my son"

It's a tradition in my house too Aprilleigh! Every Christmas Eve!

message 19: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments I'll 2nd Sue's nomination of The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.

message 20: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 194 comments I'll third Dr Zhivago. I had started reading it and was enjoying it, but had quite some distance to go to finish. Christmas does sound great for it, Pink!

message 21: by Carlo (new)

Carlo | 206 comments Tahera wrote: "I would like to nominate The Moonstone again...fingers crossed."

I'll second Moonstone.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I'll fourth Dr. Zhivago. I've been meaning to read that one for so long!

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments I'll fifth Doctor Zhivago. I have owned it for about 15 years and never read it and I have promised myself that I will read it this year!

Christine wrote: "I'll fourth Dr. Zhivago. I've been meaning to read that one for so long!"

message 24: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I'd like to nominate The Maltese Falcon - last read 2012.

message 25: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 52 comments Carlo wrote: "Tahera wrote: "I would like to nominate The Moonstone again...fingers crossed."

I'll second Moonstone."

Thanks! :) :)

message 26: by M (new)

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie | 588 comments Tonia wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Maltese Falcon - last read 2012."

I will second this.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I nominate Great Expectations"

I'll second that!

message 30: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3049 comments Brina wrote: "Blueflower, thank you much. Hopefully we can end the year with reading Shakespeare."

Brina wrote, I am always up for some Shakes.
I have struggled with histories. I would like to try again starting with King John or King Henry IV, Part 1.
Or perhaps a comedy. I would prefer Measure for Measure or All's Well That Ends Well.
Which would you like to read, if any.

message 31: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Angie wrote: "Tonia wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Maltese Falcon - last read 2012."

I will second this."

Thank you Angie.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments Loretta wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, published in 1843 and 104 pages."

I reread this every December with my son"

It's a ..."

Thanks Matt!

message 33: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I'll second Middlemarch

message 34: by Melanti (last edited Oct 04, 2017 09:29AM) (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Cynda wrote: "Brina wrote: "Blueflower, thank you much. Hopefully we can end the year with reading Shakespeare."

I have struggled with histories. I would like to try..."

Measure for Measure would be my preference. I'd like to read more of the histories too, but I think people might avoid something with "Part 1" in the title.

And, speaking from personal experience, I've seen Measure for Measure on bookstore shelve more often than either of the histories you mentioned.

I wouldn't mind re-reading King Lear either. It's been a long time since I've read that.

message 35: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 439 comments Pam wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I nominate Great Expectations"

I'll second that!"

Thank you, Pam.

message 36: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1675 comments Cynda wrote: "Brina wrote: "Blueflower, thank you much. Hopefully we can end the year with reading Shakespeare."

I have struggled with histories. I would like to try..."

In general I would like to read all the plays. Mostly I would like to read Romeo and Juliet (because it is the most well known) and King Lear (because it is the last one of the "big 4" I am missing.) Next would be any of the Wars of the Roses plays https://www.goodreads.com/series/1020... I have already read Richard II but I wouldn't mind a re-read. (I have also read Henry V, and I don't want a re-read of that one just yet).

message 37: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1675 comments Next month we can nominate The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, right?

It has just been announced that Kazuo Ishiguro will be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
J_BlueFlower wrote: "Next month we can nominate The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, right?

It has just been announced that Kazuo Ishiguro will be awarded the Nobel Prize..."

Yes, next month we will be nominating our January 2018 Reread and Remains was last read this past January. If it wins it will meet the being a year since last read requirement.

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Oct 10, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Less than half way through nominations, here is where we stand.

Nominated Only:
Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen, 399 pages, 1937, Last Read-April 2012
Nominated by Terris

Nominated & Seconded:
Middlemarch by George Eliot, 904 pages, 1871, Last Read January 2016
Nominated by M - Seconded by Ada

King Lear by William Shakespeare, 400 pages, 1603, Last Read October 2012
Nominated by Brina - Seconded by Blueflower

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, 505 pages, 1860, Last Read August 2014
Nominated by Piyangie - Seconded by Pam

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, 528 pages, 1868, Last Read May 2015
Nominated by Tahera - Seconded by Carlo

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, 320 pages, 1984, Last Read December 2012
Nominated by Sue - Seconded by Matt, Carol

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak, 592 pages, 1957, Last Read January 2014
Nominated by Sarah - Seconded by Pink, Hilary, Christine, Karen

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, 104 pages, 1843, Last Read December 2014
Nominated by Loretta - Seconded by Carol, Renee

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett, 213 pages, 1930, Last Read March 2012

message 40: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments Uf! There are some serious tomes here: four books with 500+ pages and two more with around 400 (though that King Lear edition must just have a LOT of commentary!)

message 41: by Brina (new)

Brina lol I always look at length at busy times of year. I would vote for the shortest book that you are interested in.

message 42: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1919 comments don't worry, Christmas Carol is a shoo-in! ;o)

message 43: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments Haha, I'm secretly hoping for that, even though if I didn't have midterms and holiday things to do I'd rather read some of the tomes. :)

message 44: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Francisca wrote: "Uf! There are some serious tomes here: four books with 500+ pages and two more with around 400 (though that King Lear edition must just have a LOT of commentary!)"

Probably! I know King Lear is one of his longer plays, but the Folger edition of Hamlet is 50 pages shorter even though it's Shakespeare's longest.

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I third Unbearable Lightness of Being.

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Oct 14, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
The below list contains the nominations that have been seconded. one nominations (message 39) was not seconded. I usually close and lock nominations early morning on the 15th, since it is still the 14th for members who live to the east of my location. This month I will be out of town, so this thread is now closed. The Poll will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month.

Link to the December 2017 Revisit the Shelf Poll

If someone wishes to second the one un-seconded book between now and Midnight your local time, sent me a private message and I will try and add it to the poll.

message 47: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
The winning book for our December 2017 reread is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, 104 pages, 1843, Last Read December 2014

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.