Our Shared Shelf discussion

2151 views
Book Suggestions > Start Reading Feminist Literature

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gala (new)

Gala (galaer) | 9 comments Hi, I really want to start reading books about feminism, but I don't know what should I read first. English isn't my mother language, so it'll help if the vocabulary is not extremely hard. Could you give me some titles, please? I would be really grateful♥️


message 2: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Gala wrote: "Hi, I really want to start reading books about feminism, but I don't know what should I read first. English isn't my mother language, so it'll help if the vocabulary is not extremely hard. Could yo..."

My first feminist book that I read was Gloria Steinem's "My Life on the Road" back in January last year. It was absolutely smashing!


message 3: by Gala (new)

Gala (galaer) | 9 comments Thank you so much, they're all going to my to read list♥️


message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Gala wrote: "Thank you so much, they're all going to my to read list♥️"

Anytime. I am glad to be able to help.


message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 346 comments I definitely second both Keith and Meerder's book choices.
You may also try: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Though I would read the other books they recommended first.
Sex And World Peace is a lot to digest.


message 6: by Gala (new)

Gala (galaer) | 9 comments Thank you so much, they're going to the to read list right now 🤗


message 7: by Kimia (new)

Kimia (kimiasb) | 13 comments I'd also recommend the Spinster Club series by Holly Bourne. It's about three teenage girls who fight the patriarchy and eat cheese balls in the progress. It may be aimed a bit more towards a younger audience, but I think that doesn't make it any less amazing.


message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments I would suggest The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. It was published in 1848, but it deals with property rights, domestic violence, and affects of alcoholism.


message 9: by David (new)

David Larkin | 49 comments you might also try 'The Women's Murder Club' series by James Patterson. All the main characters are strong women, I don't
know if this truly qualifies as feminist literature, as it was written by Patterson, but they're all good reads.


message 10: by Gala (new)

Gala (galaer) | 9 comments David wrote: "you might also try 'The Women's Murder Club' series by James Patterson. All the main characters are strong women, I don't
know if this truly qualifies as feminist literature, as it was written by ..."


Charlene wrote: "I would suggest The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. It was published in 1848, but it deals with property rights, domestic violence, and affects of alcoholism."

Kimia wrote: "I'd also recommend the Spinster Club series by Holly Bourne. It's about three teenage girls who fight the patriarchy and eat cheese balls in the progress. It may be aimed a bit more towards a young..."

Keith wrote: "Hi,

And this is another one:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6..."


Thank you so much!


back to top