Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > EAN numbers?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Hi, does anyone know whether I should add the EAN 13 digit number of my book edition, if available, as well as the ASIN, or instead of. And If so, should it be added in the ISBN entry box?
Rob Scarborough

message 2: by lethe (last edited Sep 30, 2017 05:24AM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments If you have an EAN number (starting with 294) for your book, it is a Nook edion and the number should be added in the ISBN-13 field of a new edition, not on the same edition as the ASIN for the Kindle.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments lethe wrote: "If you have an EAN number (starting with 294) for your book, it is a Nook edion and the number should be added in the ISBN-13 field of a new edition, not on the same edition as the ASIN for the Kin..."
The EANstarts with 5060.....The Ean's I have are from my GS1 membership and I use them generally for other products that I sell, (Not books) . I have assigned them to books since I started writing because I thought it would be better to have a traceable record of the book editions. (only used for paperbacks, not kindle)
For example...More Chores For Daft Harry is assigned EAN5060216620992.......... Do you think I should include them as you stated above, in the ISBN box? for paperbacks... Thanks

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments No, that does not look like a number that is used on GR.

The only 13-digit numbers I know of are ISBNs (starting with 978), and EANs for Nook editions (starting with 294) and Kobo (starting with 123).

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments My Eans are for barcoding products that I have invented and developed from scratch and put up for sale on Amazon. Amazon require an EAN to create a listing. Since earlier this year Amazon has started requiring either an ISBN or EAN for all books listed. Previously, they did not insist on either. So, I suppose the EAN's I use must be deemed OK as an alternative to an ISBN for books. The only difference between EAN and ISBN is that EAN's do not get entered onto Bowkers ISBN database for books....But they (EAN's) still provide traceability.....Probably best to not enter them for now? Thanks for your help.....Rob Scarborough

message 6: by lethe (last edited Sep 30, 2017 06:36AM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Not on Goodreads, anyway. They are not useful here.

Amazon also requires resellers to add an ASIN to old pre-ISBN print books. If those ASINs are added here, we have to remove them.