Play Book Tag discussion

Elmet
This topic is about Elmet
September 2017: American > Elmet - Fiona Mozley - I just dunno how many stars!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments This book has me totally baffled. I really don't know what it is doing on the Booker long list, let alone the short list, and how it could usurp so many other worthy books! I found it soooo boring. The story didn't interest me in the slightest, and as others have said I found the narrator's voice to be completely inconsistent. One minute he was just a kid, and then in another he was making astute observations. Just weird. I did see some beauty in the writing, and in fact there were two chapters in the middle of the novel that gave me a glimpse of the type of writing of which she is capable, but for the most part it didn't work for me and I couldn't wait for it to end so that I could move on.

Susie | 4488 comments I think it's a two.

message 3: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments Yes, I don’t understand how it made the list

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I'm in the middle of it, and really struggling to finish. It's just not keeping my attention.

Susie | 4488 comments I felt exactly the same Tracey. Hard work!

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments So interesting! I had a lot of issues with this one too . . .but boredom wasn't the predominant one. Totally agree with your overall assessment though! Glad you read it because I was super curious where you would come down on it . .

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I finally gave it 3 stars- for the storyline. I think she could have done well with a harsher editor and a different voice telling the story. I'm not sure why this is on the short list, but I'll be curious to see what she puts out later.

Nicole D. | 1478 comments couldn't put it down! I must have been in a "mood" I know I was in the minority. Watch it win!

message 9: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments The odds have it in second place

Nicole D. | 1478 comments WOW that's ridiculous. What's in first?

Nicole D. | 1478 comments Oh, Lincoln. Interesting. I wouldn't hate that.

Susie | 4488 comments I can definitely see Lincoln winning. This as second is madness!!

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments Tracy wrote: "I finally gave it 3 stars- for the storyline. I think she could have done well with a harsher editor and a different voice telling the story. I'm not sure why this is on the short list, but I'll be..."

Agree on both these points. I feel like you could see the author's talent, but that a lot of editing work was needed.

I personally am hoping hard for Lincoln, but think it will be Exit West or Autumn. I'd be fine with Exit West. Autumn will be disappointing for me, but an understandable disappointment.