Play Book Tag discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
September 2017: American > Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Sep 30, 2017 03:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susie | 4488 comments The much anticipated second novel by Celeste Ng had me excited as I really enjoyed Everything I Never Told You. As soon as I saw that it had been published I snapped it up. I was looking forward to reading a book that was unputdownable.

Single mother Mia and her daughter Pearl move to Shaker Heights in Cleveland Ohio, a planned community that prides itself on its safety, it's excellent schools, manicured lawns, and upstanding citizens. They rent a house from entrenched local Elena Richardson, the mother of four children, all of whom befriend the mother daughter pair for different reasons. Mia is a mysterious character and Elena mistrusts her and decides to uncover her past. Friends of the Richardson's adopt a baby and become embroiled in a custody battle that has the Richardson's on opposing sides. It is inferred early on that a disaster occurs, and throughout the story we find out why and how.

Ng is fabulous at developing characters, and she was able to explore an impressive amount of social issues throughout the story, however for me it fell short. It lacked a subtlety and finesse that I was expecting. I felt as though I was being told where my allegiances should lie rather than working it out for myself. It was quite cliched and predictable and it went on forever. Despite it not being a particularly long book it could have been a hundred pages less without losing any gravity.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7694 comments Nooo!!!! I just picked this up. Darn it. I was not a rave reviewer of Everything I Never Told You, so maybe I will not be as disappointed as you were.

Susie | 4488 comments It seems that I am in the minority Nicole. Most of the reviews seem very positive. I hope you like it more than I did. Perhaps the audio experience will be better.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7694 comments This is actually a rare book I do not have on audio! So, that means I probably won't gr to it anyway. Lol

Susie | 4488 comments Nicole R wrote: "This is actually a rare book I do not have on audio! So, that means I probably won't gr to it anyway. Lol"

It's good to have aspirations!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8282 comments I only gave the first one a three. I thought it was over hyped.

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Hmmm, I really liked the first book as well. This one interests me as I've actually been to Shaker Heights, but I guess I won't rush to read it.