Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Author's correct name

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments When I filled in the author profile I used my name as it appears on my book covers.... Rob Scarborough, However I noticed that it has been changed to my full name Robert James Scarborough and all my book titles now show this as the author. Is there a reason why a librarian (I presume) has changed it ? will it have an effect? and should I consider changing all my book covers to include my full name? Please, anyone with any help.

Rob Scarborough

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13561 comments Librarians can't change (or approve) Goodreads Author profiles, so it must have been done by staff. Did it happen when you were approved as a GR author?

If all your books have Rob Scarborough, it is very odd that this was done without your approval.

And not all books have been moved to the new profile: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I can ask in the author merge thread to merge these profiles and have the GR name changed to Rob Scarborough, if you agree?

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22748 comments When looking at your profile it says ~ Robert James Scarborough
Goodreads Author.

Librarians cannot change that, only you or GR staff can alter that.

So I checked a couple of different book editions for edits to your name, one you had changed yourself and most of them were imported by the Amazon bots. I didn't see a single librarian edit.

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Hi, thanks for your help...Yesterday, after having been approved as an author was when I filled in the profile with Rob Scarborough and below, the `sort by name' field as Scarborough, rob..... The sort by name field remains the same today, but the author name has changed on my GR profile.
Thanks Lethe if you could get the profiles merged to Rob Scarborough, that would be good.

Sandra, thanks for your comment too, does that mean that I must have filled in something wrong at Amazon to get both versions of my name thrown up by Amazon bots? If so, can I go back on Amazon and change them now, or is it too late? and will there be confusion cuz of the two name versions for people who may be searching by name?

Thanks for any advice you are able to give.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22748 comments Amazon is importing them as Robert James Scarborough.

The full name is often preferred by GR due to many people having the same name; we use spaces to disambiguate between authors with the same name.

However, you've got Rob Scarborough on the covers.

I'd do what lethe has suggested :)

message 6: by lethe (last edited Sep 30, 2017 04:02AM) (new)

lethe | 13561 comments Sandra wrote: "Amazon is importing them as Robert James Scarborough."

But not all, the book in msg #2 was also imported by the Amazon bot (as Rob Scarborough).

Rob, my advice is to sort out the issue with Amazon.

Meanwhile, I will make a request in the merge thread.
ETA Done: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Okay, I will try and sort it with Amazon, thanks for your help

Rob