Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

The Night Ferry
This topic is about The Night Ferry
Archives > October-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Night Ferry

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 3387 comments Mod
Final thoughts on The Night Ferry The Night Ferry by Michael Robotham by Michael Robotham

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 9060 comments Mod
An excellent read in my opinion!

message 3: by Li'l Owl (last edited Oct 06, 2017 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments What I did see coming was that Cate named Ali as guardian of her babies and I'm glad that Ali had this to say in the end. But most of the book kept me guessing!

My life has changed so much in the past three months. The twins don't let me sleep Beyond 6:00 a.m. and some nights I bring them into bed, which all the experts say I shouldn't. They have pushed me around, robbed me of sleep, filled me up and made me laugh. I am besotted. Spellbound. My heart has doubled in size to make room for them.

What an emotional, fantastic read! Thanks Brenda!

message 4: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think it was Carolyn who nominated this one Owl :) But so glad you enjoyed it!!

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Oops! Sorry Carolyn! Thanks to you for this great recommendation! 😊

message 6: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

:)

message 7: by Jenny (last edited Oct 25, 2017 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 433 comments I enjoyed reading this book! However, I did find it slow in section. Also, I did not engage that well with the story.

Carolyn | 1298 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Oops! Sorry Carolyn! Thanks to you for this great recommendation! 😊"

I'm really glad it won the poll this month Owl. I love his books but it's been sitting on my kindle for ages waiting for me to get to it :)

message 9: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

It was excellent - thanks Carolyn! Not the best book he has written but still very good.
I liked Ruiz being in it. I always enjoy it when characters from other books migrate across:)

Carolyn | 1298 comments Just finished reading The Night Ferry. It's always interesting to go back and read a favourite author's earlier work and see how much he has improved. Although the writing is pretty good and the plot keeps evolving, it was slow in sections and could have been sharper. I liked the way the story unfolded and I'm all for happy endings (if you can say that when the babies parents are killed early on and after what happened to Samira). I enjoyed seeing Ruiz too :)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) I've finally finished The Night Ferry, with a sense of relief. I'm a great fan of Michael Robotham's writing, but unfortunately The Night Ferry didn't float my boat.

For the first third I was strongly engaged, and thoroughly enjoyed the rolling out of the mystery. From there, I thought the writing lost its sharpness and the storyline became excessively complicated. For me the plot became enmired in Alisha's personal crap, and I came to dislike her intensely by the end. It is a well-known crime fiction trope to have the protagonist go it alone, putting themselves in dangerous situations, getting bashed/stabbed/shot after reckless interventions...speaking personally I am totally OVER that plot device. I like crime stories where the doughty detective tries to out-think and out-wit the baddie, not out-run them. All Alisha did was put her own needs ahead of the victims she was trying to help, and look at the body count that resulted............

Sorry folks, but this is genuine issue for me. I've stopped reading crime novels in which the main character is a maverick with a Messiah complex, such as Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher, whom I used to adore in their earlier books.

Not Michael Robotham's best novel, IMHO. Some brilliant ideas in it, but execution was patchy. So only 3 stars from me.

message 12: by Rowena (last edited Oct 25, 2017 06:04AM) (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Finished The Night Ferry a week or so ago. I was very pleased this was nominated as a friend raved about when it first came out and I never got around to reading it.

The writing is solid and the story enjoyable, up to a point.

Alisha was interesting and both she and Ruiz had motivation to go it alone, although you had to wonder if Alisha had a death wish going after the baddies in Amsterdam. I agree with MaryG2E that this is becoming an over-used trope, though I felt Robothom provided enough context to understand it. And unlike Bryznda, who's head honchos let his main character get away with ridiculous behaviours, at least Alisha suffered professional as well as physical consequences.

My main issue is that the story was very predictable. Except for the initial discovery of the fake pregnancy, there were no surprises. No twists. Twists are what keep me reading as I enjoy the challenge, so I'm probably a little biased. Yet even setting that preference aside, the story felt flat.

It was my first Robotham and I'm glad to have read it, just not sure I'll be reading another anytime soon.

So that's my two cent's worth. It did get me back into reading Police Procedurals--I moved onto Robinsons's DCI Banks. The writing and characters are much crisper and so far the mystery is layered. So I'm enjoying that more than The Night Ferry.

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good to have your thoughts Rowena :) I love his work - everything I've read I've enjoyed :)

message 14: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Do try another of his books Rowena. This one was not one of his best.

message 15: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Brenda wrote: "Good to have your thoughts Rowena :) I love his work - everything I've read I've enjoyed :)"

The Secrets She Keeps has caught my eye, and he has definitely written a lot of books, so lots of choice.

message 16: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Phrynne wrote: "Do try another of his books Rowena. This one was not one of his best."
I will Phrynne! I saw him speak at Adelaide writers week a couple years ago and he seems very down to earth. And today I found out that he may be at the Port Lincoln SALT festival next year. So I see more Robothom book sin my future LOL

message 17: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Secrets She Keeps was brilliant IMHO Rowena!

message 18: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Personally I like his Joseph O'Loughlin series the best but then I am always a sucker for a good series:)

message 19: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Brenda wrote: "The Secrets She Keeps was brilliant IMHO Rowena!"
Well, on that recommendation I have to read it! ;)

message 20: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Phrynne wrote: "Personally I like his Joseph O'Loughlin series the best but then I am always a sucker for a good series:)"

I'll look into that too. My TBR is looking pretty empty so it can stand a few additions :)

message 21: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne wrote: "Personally I like his Joseph O'Loughlin series the best but then I am always a sucker for a good series:)"

I love that series too, but also love his stand alones!

message 22: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rowena wrote: "Brenda wrote: "The Secrets She Keeps was brilliant IMHO Rowena!"
Well, on that recommendation I have to read it! ;)"

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Rowena :)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 433 comments I did enjoy reading the Night Ferry. However, I did not think it was one of his best books.

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Ferry (other topics)
The Secrets She Keeps (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Robotham (other topics)