THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Blog tours????

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments I'm wondering what results some of you have had with blog tour hosts. From my limited experience (I've hired two different ones and neither was very effective), it seems that the tour host doesn't vet the bloggers that participate. If you have written a literary novel, then it isn't going to be well received by genre fiction bloggers, but that kind of fine-tuning doesn't seem to happen. Any recommendations? Thoughts?

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari (anyone) | 20 comments I tried it years ago. It was a lot of work and no sales. Haven't done it since. I do not believe blogs attract that much attention anymore.

message 3: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker | 5 comments I have had so little success, I have actually had reverse success! I did my first blog tour on my own (hired someone recommended). Received no additional sales, just wound up giving out copies of my book away. No reviews. $80 for no yield. The next 2 blog tours were set up by my publisher. They had someone organize it, so I don't know how many copies were given away, but I received 2 reviews out of it, and they only 3 star reviews from people who did not really care for the book! (The organizer would not allow anyone to post below 3 stars.) That brought my overall rating down, so I wish we would not have done this. I don't plan to do any blog tours again, and I hope my publisher won't do one for me either.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Thanks for your input. They sound like a waste of money. I also had one reviewer that clearly hadn't read the book and who was out of her depth in reviewing it, a literary novel.

message 5: by Luna (new)

Luna Claire (lunasaintclaire) | 58 comments I did my own blog tour which was an author spotlight. I sent out the Google invite via Facebook posts, sharing to Facebook groups, and private messaging Facebook bloggers most of who also have web blogs. Some of the bloggers followed up by requesting an interview which I accepted. I did not give away any free copies of the book for a blog tour (Author Spotlight) I did give away free copies (I own my mobi file) when I did a review tour which an invitation to read and review. The cost was nothing and everyone who signed up for the review tour did review and I received a healthy mix of 5, 4 and 3 star reviews. In a review tour they are required to post the review to Amazon and Goodreads and if they have a FB page and/or web blog to post there. In the invite you have them check the box for where the review will appear (and when). Both of these venues - the blog tour and review tour increase exposure and there are some sales generated.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Wow! Great info

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly My experience was more positive. I worked with Amy Bruno who runs Historical Fiction Virutal Blog Tours. She set up blogs interested, in historical fiction. My results, good reviews, increase in sales and access to a blog in the U.K. I think it may depend on who you work with.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Beverly wrote: "My experience was more positive. I worked with Amy Bruno who runs Historical Fiction Virutal Blog Tours. She set up blogs interested, in historical fiction. My results, good reviews, increase in sa..."

It's great to hear when something works!

message 9: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 223 comments Beverly wrote: "My experience was more positive. I worked with Amy Bruno who runs Historical Fiction Virutal Blog Tours. She set up blogs interested, in historical fiction. My results, good reviews, increase in sa..."

Thank you for sharing, Beverly. Would you mind specifying which of their services you used? I also write historical fiction and am looking at their website now :).

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Marie Silk wrote: "Beverly wrote: "My experience was more positive. I worked with Amy Bruno who runs Historical Fiction Virutal Blog Tours. She set up blogs interested, in historical fiction. My results, good reviews..."
I did a blog tour package. I believe there were 15 blogs. They ranged from spotlights, reviews, excerpts, interviews and an article I wrote. Amy is very professional, friendly and helpful. I recommend her.

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Beverly wrote: "Marie Silk wrote: "Beverly wrote: "My experience was more positive. I worked with Amy Bruno who runs Historical Fiction Virutal Blog Tours. She set up blogs interested, in historical fiction. My re..."

Was your book historical fiction?

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Yes. US historical fiction.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leo (jennifer_lamont_leo) | 2 comments I second the recommendation of Amy Bruno. She did a great job last winter for my debut historical novel (US historical fiction set in 1928). As I recall, my book was listed/mentioned on around 16 blogs, and several of those posted positive reviews both on the blog and on Amazon/Goodreads. Raised my visibility in search engines. No measurable increase in sales that I could see, but I was more interested in boosting reviews and discoverability, which I feel it did. I plan to use her for the sequel coming out next year.

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Jennifer wrote: "I second the recommendation of Amy Bruno. She did a great job last winter for my debut historical novel (US historical fiction set in 1928). As I recall, my book was listed/mentioned on around 16 b..."

Glad you had a positive experience too.

message 15: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Mae | 13 comments Dear All,

Would anyone like to join in my Summer Blog? I plan to feature some guest authors blog posts on my site - Daisy's Summer Blog.

I hope it will be a lot of fun and look forward to meeting new authors.

Please contact me - daisy.sharer@gmail.com

Take a look at http://www,datingdaisy.net

Kind regards,

Daisy

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments I would be interested in joining, please send me more info. Thanks. Steve

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments I have had good results with virtual author book tours. While the tour operator I used will not guarantee sales, she was both diligent and creative with my tours. I received reviews on both tour novels and one blogger bought two copies of one novel as gifts for friends!
The first tour with my novel in 2012 included a radio interview. The second tour which is now winding down included a video podcast review. The only way I can judge the overall results is by watching sales spikes on my Amazon Author Page and sometime later, increased royalties. I would use a virtual author book tour again.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Ravasio (patriciaravasio) | 3 comments Hi Sarah,
Can you recommend a specific tour operator? Thank you.
Patricia Ravasio
Author
The Girl from Spaceship Earth

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments I use www.virtualauthorbookstours.com. The owner who runs the show is Teddy Rose. She's smart, intuitive, resourceful, and stays on top of the tour from start to finish. When I don't understand something or other and ask her a question, within minutes her reply appears in my email mailbox. She really works for her authors and was the highest rated of the authors I researched before choosing her company.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Ravasio (patriciaravasio) | 3 comments Thank you very much. Can you give me some idea of how much I should expect to pay, and how she works financially? Thanks again!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments Teddy offers "packages" based on the number of bloggers. Best to contact her directly for the pricing. You select the package you can afford that would be adequate for your book. As for payment, you pay a modest down payment to secure the tour, then the remainder once the tour is underway. I paid through PayPal, but she might offer other ways. Don't be afraid to contact her. She is very forthcoming and pleasant to deal with. Let me know how it goes?
I never mind spending money on marketing when a) I believe the return on investment is good, and b) an expert is in charge...not me!

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Ravasio (patriciaravasio) | 3 comments Thank you so much Sara. I will reach out to her and let you know how it goes. My book is getting a great response but very few real reviews so far. Appreciate your help! ❤️

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments My pleasure! Networking about topics like this makes Goodreads a gem!