The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Luckiest Girl Alive
This topic is about Luckiest Girl Alive
Group Read Discussions > October 2017 Group Read Winner - Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments This will be the thread for the group read discussion for Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. Natalie will be the moderator. Enjoy your reading and discussion.

message 2: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. (tblakebraddy) | 26 comments I read LGA last year, but I want to keep up with the discussion. I saw her speak at Parnassus Books here in Nashville, and she had some interesting things to say about her reasons for writing the book. I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts.

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments I read this book earlier this year, and I thought it was pretty good. I cannot wait for the discussion and will be glad to talk about it!

message 4: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 29 comments I actually got this one on audio but I won't get to it for another week or so.

message 5: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments Very excited to be reading this book with you all! I'll admit I have not started yet, but I got the book from library and hope to be done within the next few days. Till then, I would love to hear all your thoughts!

message 6: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments MsG wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Very excited to be reading this book with you all! I'll admit I have not started yet, but I got the book from library and hope to be done within the next few days. Till then, I woul..."

It definitely is. I'm about 80 pages in now. I'm enjoying it so far. I honestly forgot the entire plot description that I read a few weeks ago when I nominated the book (just that it sounded interesting) so I'm going into it pretty blind. Not really sure what the mystery will be, but I'm looking forward to it.

Angela Bennett | 104 comments I just received my ordered book in the mail. Finishing up a book for a another group and will start this one next week. Looking forward to reading it.

Bill Kupersmith | 19 comments Altho' certainly featuring crimes, I'd rate this one more as social satire than crime fiction. You can find my review on my GR read shelf.

message 9: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments Bill wrote: "Altho' certainly featuring crimes, I'd rate this one more as social satire than crime fiction. You can find my review on my GR read shelf."

I haven't finished (about 240 pages in, so a little bit more than halfway done) but so far I agree with what you're saying. I don't really see this book as a mystery at all from what I've read. However, I'm still enjoying it. I actually find the scenes that take place in high school more interesting than the modern day ones, which is surprising because I'm generally not a fan of teen fiction. At this point, even if there is no "twist" or mystery aspect to it, this story is still pretty entertaining.

message 10: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments Ok, just finished! I'll share my detailed review later, but here are some quick thoughts.

Overall, the book was entertaining but really just mediocre. It was a very fast read-- this is the first time in years where I've read a book in a day--but I felt like it really led nowhere. The ending might have given the main character closure but not the reader (at least not me). I believe this book has been marketed inaccurately because it is in no way a mystery, thriller, or crime drama. This all being said, I would still encourage everyone who was planning on reading this book to give it a chance. You might really enjoy it; it probably just won't be what you're expecting.

I will lead with more thoughts and discussion questions in the next few days.

message 11: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. (tblakebraddy) | 26 comments Josen wrote: "I actually got this one on audio but I won't get to it for another week or so."

The narrator for the book is pretty good, so I think you'll totally dig it. She has an expressive voice.

message 12: by T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T. (tblakebraddy) | 26 comments Bill wrote: "Altho' certainly featuring crimes, I'd rate this one more as social satire than crime fiction. You can find my review on my GR read shelf."

Yeah, I think I agree with you. It kind of fits in this literary subgenre of 'crimes that affected someone,' but yeah, it doesn't fit into what we would consider your basic, everyday genre fiction. It reminds me of Megan Abbott's works, whom I love, so I think that's one reason why I liked it so much.

message 13: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 29 comments T. Blake wrote: "Josen wrote: "I actually got this one on audio but I won't get to it for another week or so."

The narrator for the book is pretty good, so I think you'll totally dig it. She has an expressive voice."

Oh that's good to hear! I've definitely DNF'd audios where the narrator is not good at all.

Bonnie Bill wrote: "Altho' certainly featuring crimes, I'd rate this one more as social satire than crime fiction. You can find my review on my GR read shelf."

I agree Bill. I did enjoy it, and gave it a 4 star rating, but it was not IMO a mystery or thriller at all. I don't think the cover or beginning or promotions for it are really honest.

Angela Bennett | 104 comments Glad to be reading sooner than expected . . . On Chapter 5 and I'm enjoying the book thus far. A wee-bit heavy handed with similes but I really enjoy her prose--witty and bold. Back to reading ;-)

message 16: by Fred (last edited Oct 10, 2017 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 24 comments I was impressed with the book, especially after seeing a "Today" episode, how difficult it would be for her to write these life experience in a book (the link to play is in my review)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments I liked this book fine, and I gave it three stars. That is not good by my standards since I tend to be pretty black and white, and I either love it or hate it. This book was "something to read." I did not really feel it fit into the traditional mold of a "Thriller." I think too often we try to find the next, bigger, better Gone Girl, and nothing reaches that "gold standard." With this book, I was glad I read it, and I would recommend it to someone, but not with the promise of some nail biter thriller. It was just a fun read. I thought it was predictable, although I feel like it is very difficult to surprise me these days. Why? After so many thrillers, cop shows, etc. I am suspicious of everyone and everything! I think, what and how twisted can this be...? And then I go with that mindset.

I agree that the narrator of this audiobook does a wonderful job. I enjoyed listening to her tell the tale, and she was not distracting, in my opinion. I have know terrible narrators, and she was not one of them. Enjoy the audio!

Overall, a good read, but nothing special, and did not live up to the hype it was given. Three stars. Solid three stars, no more.

message 18: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments It's nice to read all of your comments. I'm glad some of you really enjoyed this book.

I think if I had known going into this book that it was not really a mystery, I would have enjoyed it more. I spent a lot of time wondering what the twist would be and predicting an ending. However, while the book was well written, fast paced, and had strong characters, I found myself disappointed with the ending. I read an article about this book, and the author revealed that she was assaulted as a teenager in high school. I think it was very brave of the author to write about something so personal. I thought her portrayal of sexual assault was very well written. That being said, this book was just not for me. I think I would recommend this book to readers who love general fiction. Overall, I am giving it a 2.5/5, though for the purposes of Goodreads I’m rounding up to a 3. That might seem like a harsh score, but that’s based on how much I enjoyed it. I wouldn't be surprised if others rated it much higher. I think the author is a very talented writer.

It was a little hard for me to come up with discussion questions because this isn’t the type of book I typically read, but below are a few. Feel free to answer whichever ones you like! I'm putting them behind spoilers.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie | 58 comments Autumn wrote: "I liked this book fine, and I gave it three stars. That is not good by my standards since I tend to be pretty black and white, and I either love it or hate it. This book was "something to read." I ..."

Agreed! It was by no means a bad book, but it just wasn't for me because it wasn't what I was expecting. And I know what you mean about being suspicious about everything--the whole time I kept theorizing that this whole story would end with some master revenge scheme by Ani with a major twist. Nope, that never happened. I think the only books nowadays that I would give 4 or 5 stars to are the ones that genuinely surprise me, and that doesn't happen often.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I liked this book fine, and I gave it three stars. That is not good by my standards since I tend to be pretty black and white, and I either love it or hate it. This book was "somethi..."

I tend to agree, it seems like it's more of a statement that's picked up because it happens to be politically correct at the moment, rather than a truly distinctive work.

message 21: by Angela (last edited Oct 18, 2017 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Bennett | 104 comments Not sure why this book was market/promoted as a mystery. I think the author would have received higher reviews if was promoted correctly. And I think it would be unfair for me to rate it as such. As a book as a whole--it's sharp, bold, clever writing and the storyline itself, I so wanted to give it a 4/5. But I couldn't and here's why:

Although I could empathize with both young and older Ani for what she endured, I couldn't care for the adult Ani as much as I have liked. I tried with each page I flipped, hoping she'd do something that would pull at my heart or I could root for her, but it didn't happen. I wanted something, anything to show she wasn't so shallow-minded. Her personality was stand offish to me. I gave it 3.5

I did enjoy the book, though. It was highly well written.

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 251 comments read this last year and i liked it i was hoping to read more from her. it was good book i gave it 4.5

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1380 comments I'm starting this one now

message 24: by Jalayne (new) - added it

Jalayne | 391 comments I agree with most of you. The book's marketing did not reflect it well. I found myself bored or frustrated a lot. The only parts I sympathized with were the sexual assaults and the hints of eating disorders. I still don't understand the ending.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1380 comments I'm 60% in and I'm wondering where the mystery is. They really got this one wrong.

message 26: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Casillas | 2 comments I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t a traditional mystery, but certainly was suspenseful and had some twists I didn’t see coming.