Play Book Tag discussion

Cannery Row (Cannery Row #1)
This topic is about Cannery Row
September 2017: American > Cannery Row by Steinbeck 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments After finishing the book I decided to read the introduction to figure out what I just read. Susan Shillinglaw describes it this way: “In its very dislocations and jarring shifts in tone and voice and character, this tough and charming little book weaves strands of Steinbeck's non-teleological acceptance of what “is,” his ecological vision, and his own memories of a street and the people who make it home.” I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

I expected the book to be about the canneries or the people who worked there but it was not at all. Instead it was about a group of people who live on the fringes of life, something that seems to be a theme in all three Steinbeck books that I have read. He chose to write about the disenfranchised. I felt it was a glimpse into their lives as I never really got to know any character very well.

Steinbeck does paint a vivid picture when he writes. I could see the locale and smell the ocean. The frog escapade and cat round-up also made me laugh in what was a mostly gloomy story. There was no happy ending for anyone on Cannery Row.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 02, 2017 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments It was a 3-star read for me as well.

Snippet from My Review
The more I think about the book the more I like it, but I have to say that when I first finished, my reaction was: “Is that all?” In fact, I was going to rate the book much lower, but as I write my review I find myself liking the book more. Still, I think this work fell short of the genius I’ve seen in other Steinbeck works.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Book Concierge wrote: "It was a 3-star read for me as well.

Snipped from My Review
The more I think about the book the more I like it, but I have to say that when I first finished, my reaction was: “Is that all?” In fac..."

I would agree with your review. Reading the introduction did help me appreciate what the author was trying to do.

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I only rated this book 3 stars but I really liked it and I still think about it. I think it probably is worthy of more stars.