2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Veronica's October 2017 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Oct 20, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments UF/FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION

City of Stairs - 1st in series; BotM (FBR) ★★★ 1/2
A Song for Arbonne - standalone; BR (FBR) ★★★★★
Malice - 1st in series; BR (FBR) ★★★★
The Blade Itself - 1st in series; BR (FBR)
Bitter Night - 1st in series; BoTM (SW)

HISTORICAL FICTION/MYSTERY
A Most Novel Revenge - 3rd in series ★★★ 1/2
As Death Draws Near - 5th in series

CONTEMPORARY FICTION
Ysabel - standalone; BR (FBR)
Dead Stop - 2nd in series

MAYBE
My Life as a White Trash Zombie - 1st in series ★★★
Burial Rites ★★★★
Once Broken Faith - 10th in series

MOOD READS
Where the Dead Lie - 12th in series ★★★★★
Valor - 2nd in series ★★★★★

message 2: by Sharmon (new)

Sharmon (tpgirl) | 251 comments Great List. I have been trying to get to Burial Rites for ages.

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Sharmon. I hope it's not too bleak.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4056 comments Mod
Really looking forward to our Bitter Night group read :)
Hope you enjoy As Death Draws Near.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Lauren. I'm looking forward to both too. :-)

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Enjoy your month, Veronica! You might also find The Blade Itself a bit bleak. I hope you enjoy that one more than I did.

message 7: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 330 comments A lot of books on your list are on my tbr can't wait to see what you think of them.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Allison wrote: "Enjoy your month, Veronica! You might also find The Blade Itself a bit bleak. I hope you enjoy that one more than I did."

Thanks for the heads up, Allison. I'll go in with proper expectations now.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Delitealex wrote: "A lot of books on your list are on my tbr can't wait to see what you think of them."

Thanks! Some of these have been on my TBR for a long time. I'm trying to make more of a conscious effort to get to some of those.

message 10: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 330 comments Allison wrote: "Enjoy your month, Veronica! You might also find The Blade Itself a bit bleak. I hope you enjoy that one more than I did."

I agree it was pretty grim and gritty but I enjoyed it.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Definitely grim and gritty! I'm glad I read it, but am not so eager to repeat the experience.

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Expectations definitely adjusted then!

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10493 comments Mod
Really interesting titles on your list, Veronica! Enjoy. (Surprised to see that zombie book on there, though everyone I know who’s read it loved it.)

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Jonetta wrote: "Really interesting titles on your list, Veronica! Enjoy. (Surprised to see that zombie book on there, though everyone I know who’s read it loved it.)"

The MC doesn't look anything like the person on the cover, lol. Actually, I had resisted reading the book for the longest time because of the cover but I needed a book with zombies in it for a challenge. I'm listening to the audiobook...about 20% in and she doesn't even know she's a zombie yet.

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments I have the zombie book on Audible, and have been putting it off for the same reason! Although I do love the artwork, oddly enough (I follow the artist on Instagram).

I hope you love Bitter Night. A few of us read that one for a group read and it received pretty rave reviews from the majority of us. That's a series I need to get back into.

Anyway, enjoy! You've got a good list.

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Monica.

It is cool artwork, I totally agree. It's just another case where the cover doesn't really relate to what's going on in the story.

I'm looking forward to Bitter Night.

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments Exactly, it didn't seem to fit the story for me either. Just like the covers of Mercy Thompson, I put that series off for years. And now I love the covers. Go figure.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Love Mercy! And Adam!

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2300 comments Totally eclectic list of books.

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Burial Rites and really liked it even though it was sad. I gave it four stars and my review. Apparently it's going to be adapted into a movie starring Jennifer Lawrence.

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished My Life as a White Trash Zombie. It wasn't quite as funny as I was expecting and for sheer entertainment value, I prefer watching iZombie on television, but I wouldn't mind reading more in the series. I gave it three stars - my review.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I also finished A Song For Arbonne, my third Guy Gavriel Kay book, and I loved it! Five stars all the way and my review

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished City of Stairs - great world building but weak characterization. Three and a half stars and my review.

message 24: by Angela (last edited Oct 10, 2017 05:09PM) (new)

Angela | 749 comments You have some excellent choices this month Veronica. Glad to see you enjoyed Burial Rites.

Did you find A Song of Arbonne easier to read vs Sailing to Sarantium?

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Angela wrote: "Did you find A Song of Arbonne easier to read vs Sailing to Sarantium?"

I did. It didn't have a 40 page prologue for starters, lol. I'm not sure what it was, but I found myself pulled into the world easier.

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments That's great to hear. Thanks Veronica.

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I finished Malice. It was a really good story with compelling characters. I gave it four stars and my review.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished A Most Novel Revenge - enjoyable, glamorous fluff. 3.5 stars and my review.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Did a spontaneous listen to the audiobook for Where the Dead Lie. I was in the mood for some Sebastian and Hero.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Another deviation from my plan...read Valor and it was a tense ride. Five stars and my review.