Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
This topic is about This Savage Song
Book of the Month Archives > October 2017-This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.

Questions:

What was the star rating you gave it?
What did you think of the characters?
What did you think of the story?
Did you enjoy it? If so, why? If not, why?
Would you recommend this to others?

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
I’m really excited for this one!

And it fits perfectly for the month of October.

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I loved this book, I read it last year!!!

Farren (mmmcookies) I reread this book earlier this month so I could read the sequel (which I just finished omg) and changed my rating from 3 stars to 4. I listened to the audiobook the first time and I don't recommend that format. Monsters of Verity has the most interesting magic system I've ever read in a series and I think it's the kind of story that something in it for everyone to enjoy.

I decided to go ahead and start the series. I'm really looking forward to getting further into it.

I still need to read the second book.

Well we'll be reading the second book next month. This is the last series read for the year. I'm pretty excited to read this one. I'm only a few pages in since I started reading it last night but I like the writing already.

Andrea wrote: "Well we'll be reading the second book next month. This is the last series read for the year. I'm pretty excited to read this one. I'm only a few pages in since I started reading it last night but I..."
Awesome I will wait to read with everyone next month then!!!

I'm kind of excited for these books as they are my first Schwab book. I've never read anything by her. I always love trying new authors even if I am at the same time scared to try new authors because I'm worried about if I'm going to love the book, but just from the first two or three chapters, I don't remember how far I am in this at the moment, I can already tell by her writing style that I am going to love this book and hopefully love everything that she writes.

Andrea wrote: "I'm kind of excited for these books as they are my first Schwab book. I've never read anything by her. I always love trying new authors even if I am at the same time scared to try new authors becau..."

I have read everything she has written, I think... I started with her Archives books which are incomplete I think, but I think she is a great writer. I agree with you I am always a bit weary with new authors, but sometimes I find that I don't always love everything an author I like writes.

So far I've been pretty lucky with most authors that I find that I love. I have loved everything Richelle Mead has written. I've read everything in the YA genre that she has written.

I have the first book in the Archives. I have not read it yet but it sounded very interesting. I'm hoping that I can get to it by January. I've got so much that I want to read in the next three months that it's not funny.

I'm just hoping that I love this book as much as I think I will just based off the first few chapters. I know that it's usually not good to base if you will like the book off the first couple of chapters but the beginning though. I mean really setting fire to the building by the main character it was catching. It kept me reading and I know that was the idea but I mean I didn't know what to expect going into this book.

Like oh my gosh, I'm unable to put this down. The only reason I was able to type this up was because of the fact that I have to leave for a little while and well I can't read and drive at the same time although I'll have a little bit of time to sit and read once I get to school to pick up the munchkins.

Okay so 12 days ago I said I couldn't put the book down. 10 Days ago I put the book down because I could no longer keep interest in the book. Ugh, something is wrong with me. Maybe it's August point of view that is killing me. I can read Kate's with no problem and but August it's like I can't keep interest. Am I the only one?

Farren (mmmcookies) Andrea wrote: "Okay so 12 days ago I said I couldn't put the book down. 10 Days ago I put the book down because I could no longer keep interest in the book. Ugh, something is wrong with me. Maybe it's August poin..."

I had the opposite experience. I don't like Kate as a character but I looooove August. I wanna have little Sunai babies with him lol
She just tried too hard to look like a bad ass all the time that it was a turn off for me. Plus with August you get Ilsa and Leo's points of view too and I liked them a lot.

I almost feel as if sometimes August is whining. I don't feel that way all the time but sometimes I just get that vibe and I don't do whining characters well. Kate while trying to hard to look like a bad ass you see underneath all of that how she is just a little girl who is trying to please her father and what little girl doesn't do that on occasion, but I do see your point on Kate.

I finished this about a week ago and I liked it a lot. I listened to the audiobook and I really liked it. I adored August. Kate was a bit of a brat but she was meant to be that way. I kind of knew what was going on with her dad from the start but That didn’t make me like the book any less. I just didn’t get how she and August didn’t figure it out. I guess she didn’t want to believe what he was capable of. All in all I enjoyed the book and will be reading the second one at some point.

Okay Megan you made that so vague I have this need to go and finish this book now.

Farren (mmmcookies) Don't wait too long to read the sequel, it's incredible! I knew all along how it was going to end, and I started tearing up a little anyway. And I never get that emotional when I read books. Parts of it are written in verse, so I'm not sure how that would come across on audio, but it was definitely a big step up from the first one.

Hahaha Andrea I did that on purpose so there wouldn’t be spoilers!!!

Farren I heard that about the second book. I think it will be well done. I’ll let you know when I listen to it.

I am going to try and finish it now. I read something different so I am going to try and finish it now.