Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Treason's Shore [Sep 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
September 20th 2018

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm in. I except I'll have to start a bit early and and you'll all rush by me. I workload the next year is going to keep my non audio limited.

message 3: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3092 comments In. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments In.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Started this morning since you'll all blow by me again with the work schedule I have of late. Through chapter 5.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through chapter 10

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through 14

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3092 comments I haven't been in a good reading mood lately, so I am late for this one. Hopefully my mood will change soon. ;)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I am starting today; I reached chapter 2. How good it is to be back in this world!

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miche wrote: "I haven't been in a good reading mood lately, so I am late for this one. Hopefully my mood will change soon. ;)"

Definitely PMS. Post Malazan Syndrome. :P

I'm through chapter 30

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Scott wrote: "Started this morning since you'll all blow by me again with the work schedule I have of late. Through chapter 5.

[spoilers removed]"

Yes, this ubiquitous (view spoiler)

In general, I like how this book opens up. It really does pick up straight away and I do have a feeling I read King's Shield still. I wonder when/how the flip will come. Surely it must.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Starting tomorrow.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I am very happy at the end of chapter 13. Finally, things are spiced up!

Also, I like how Inda is not Mr Perfect and how is political ineptitude is bared naked.

message 14: by Miche (last edited Sep 23, 2018 12:41PM) (new)

Miche | 3092 comments Scott wrote: "Definitely PMS. Post Malazan Syndrome. :P"

It is! :)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Scott wrote: "Through 14

.."

whoa! (view spoiler)

message 16: by Miche (last edited Sep 23, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

Miche | 3092 comments Up to chapter 5. It is good to have the women pov back. I agree that (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I loved chapter 24 (view spoiler)

At chapter 27 (view spoiler).

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I loved chapter 24 [spoilers removed]

At chapter 27 [spoilers removed]."

Re 24, I totally agree. One of the great scenes of the series.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part 2, Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I think I have caught up with you Scott.

I am not sure I like the metaphor but I bought it. Marlovans are a military-minded society so I can accept that they use war and fighting as a point of reference for most things in life (view spoiler).

So. Part two. I am still rooting for Fox. :D

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I think I have caught up with you Scott.

I am not sure I like the metaphor but I bought it. Marlovans are a military-minded society so I can accept that they use war and fighting as a point of re..."

I've had zero free time so I'm not shocked you've caught me. Also as much as I've liked the series her wording sometimes throws me for a loop and I still catch myself having to re-read a sentence.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part 2 chapter 16

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I really hated the ending. From the 'final' battle onwards. So disappointing.

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I really hated the ending. From the 'final' battle onwards. So disappointing."

Rot-row.....

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I am actually furious that she allowed the story to be mutilated like that. I have a feeling she lost total control over what is happening.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I am actually furious that she allowed the story to be mutilated like that. I have a feeling she lost total control over what is happening."

Yikes. I have 120 pages left. I'll likely finish Wednesday. I've sort of had the feeling for a while that there were too many strings dangling.

message 27: by Janny (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I am actually furious that she allowed the story to be mutilated like that. I have a feeling she lost total control over what is happening."

Yikes. I have 120 pages left. I'll likely..."

The major string left dangling picks back up/or at least defines itself (view back in time) in Banner of the Damned, and there is a sequel coming that I am hoping ties that up/lets us have the big resolution.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janny wrote: "The major string left dangling picks back up/or at least defines itself (view back in time) in Banner of the Damned, and there is a sequel coming that I am hoping ties that up/lets us have the big resolution. ..."

Thanks for this. I didn't realize BotD was part of Inda's story. So the trilogy is yet to be written?

message 29: by Janny (last edited Oct 01, 2018 09:38AM) (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Scott wrote: "Janny wrote: "The major string left dangling picks back up/or at least defines itself (view back in time) in Banner of the Damned, and there is a sequel coming that I am hoping ties that up/lets us..."

It's not Inda's story but characters prior to it but it would appear to cover the beginning of the (view spoiler) I know she has a sequel, she mentioned the title as A Sword Named Truth in an AMA at r/fantasy - which characters it will pick up with, whether Inda or this time period/other characters from this series features or the story you have here dovetails into it, I have no idea. Sherwood Smith is on GR, you could try the ask the author feature if she has it turned on....I have no idea how far she's written, or if there is any release date in sight.

Banner of the Damned is very much released and so far as I know, available. I've read it.

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janny wrote: "Scott wrote: "Janny wrote: "The major string left dangling picks back up/or at least defines itself (view back in time) in Banner of the Damned, and there is a sequel coming that I am hoping ties t..."

Thanks. That was very helpful.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Still, I don't think another book can redeem the NUMEROUS badly done things that still have me fuming.

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "Still, I don't think another book can redeem the NUMEROUS badly done things that still have me fuming."

This sounds like a Tyrant's Throne review in the making.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments In this case I'm an aggrieved and betrayed reader because I really loved the first two books and thought the third one passable. My rating showed the benefit of the doubt. So now there will not be mercy. And it's not about the fact that my theories didn't work.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "In this case I'm an aggrieved and betrayed reader because I really loved the first two books and thought the third one passable. My rating showed the benefit of the doubt. So now there will not be ..."

I get it and was joking not being critical.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Scott, I know you are kindness incarnated, I just wanted to explain my own bruised black heart. :)

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "Scott, I know you are kindness incarnated, I just wanted to explain my own bruised black heart. :)"

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm done. I'm conflicted on the ending. Things I liked. Things I didn't.

(view spoiler)