Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Inda [Jan 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Jan 20th 2018

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
Thanks! Looking forward to this series. :)

message 3: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments //cautiously raises hand

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Shoot! This starts in Jan?! Tentatively raising hand also.

Miche | 2999 comments I will attempt to join this one.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I’ve been meaning to read this!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Uhmmm, UK peeps, how do we get book 2, 3, 4 of this?! Amazon only sells the first one? As an ebook I mean. I’m assuming I’ll find physical copies somehow.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm going to start this on the 18th because I've overbooked and have two other BRs starting in the end of January.

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Scott wrote: "I'm going to start this on the 18th because I've overbooked and have two other BRs starting in the end of January."

I might be joining you earlier Scott.

Tammie | 3984 comments Starting this a couple of days early.

Miche | 2999 comments I will probably start it tomorrow.

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I read the first chapter last night. The writing is a little odd for me, but I'm interested to see what happens.

message 13: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'll be starting this late, as I need to finish GotM =].

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think people who like Robin Hobb will really like this series. The writing and political drama are a lot alike. I actually like this a lot more because the characters are better. I couldn't stand Fitz where as Inda and some of the other characters I can identify with and like.

message 15: by Olivia (last edited Jan 18, 2018 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments On chapter 1 so far... interested to see what will happen!

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Dang, Scott. Well if I wasn't in to read it before...

message 17: by Tammie (last edited Jan 18, 2018 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tammie | 3984 comments In chapter three. So far I like it ok. I'm still waiting for the story to really take off as it's still just in the beginning stages. I wasn't expecting Inda to be so young either. The writing style did take a little getting used to. It doesn't flow very smoothly for me. Partially because of all the hard to pronounce names, and there were some oddly structured sentences.

message 18: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments You pretty much summed up my thoughts so far as well, Tammie.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie wrote: "In chapter three. So far I like it ok. I'm still waiting for the story to really take off as it's still just in the beginning stages. I wasn't expecting Inda to be so young either. The writing styl..."

I think part of it is the author changes character perspectives with nothing more than a new paragraph. This caught me off guard at first. Usually there's at least a double space between paragraphs to give the reader a line of demarcation.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Scott wrote: "Tammie wrote: "In chapter three. So far I like it ok. I'm still waiting for the story to really take off as it's still just in the beginning stages. I wasn't expecting Inda to be so young either. T..."

I definitely think that is part of what is throwing me off, Scott. I've finished the first nine chapters, and while I find a lot of it interesting, I still haven't gotten into the flow of the writing. Hopefully that will improve soon. It's still pretty early in the book.

Tammie | 3984 comments Scott wrote: "Tammie wrote: "In chapter three. So far I like it ok. I'm still waiting for the story to really take off as it's still just in the beginning stages. I wasn't expecting Inda to be so young either. T..."

I agree this is probably part of it.

Miche | 2999 comments I read two chapters and so far it has been interesting. The writing didn't bother me, but I can see why it might bother others.

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Is it omniscient-style? I remember learning about it in writing seminars but I don't think I've ever seen it done.

message 24: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Honestly I'm intrigued and I haven't even started yet haha ^_^.

Miche | 2999 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Is it omniscient-style? I remember learning about it in writing seminars but I don't think I've ever seen it done."

It is, Niki.

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I like omniscient in some stories, and I don't dislike it here, but some of the sentence structured paired with that style makes it a bit awkward for me. Once I have better grasp of the characters I think it will flow better.

Miche | 2999 comments Random impressions up to chapter 6:

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I'll be picking up the book tonight. At least the first chapter. It'll be slow going (what's new?) until I finish Child of a Mad God.

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Two words have my immediate attention: competition and academy.

Miche | 2999 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Two words have my immediate attention: competition and academy."

It will keep your attention then. There is a lot of both. :)

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Yes! :D

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche wrote: "Random impressions up to chapter 6:
."

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm done with part one (through chapter 30).

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15539 comments I was going to reverse course again and join this Buddy Read, since I had the time, but it never got turned into an audiobook......... so I guess I'll have to skip again...

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I'm coming late straight from the Darkest Road but I'll start tonight and hopefully catch up soon.

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Tammie wrote: "In chapter three. So far I like it ok. I'm still waiting for the story to really take off as it's still just in the beginning stages. I wasn't expecting Inda to be so young either. The writing styl..."

I reached chapter 3 too. I can see already I am going to like this book. I like the writing and the cadences of the narrative. The world-building is dense and foreign words are confusing, especially that all these formal titles and functions are flung around frequently without an explanation (or an explanation comes a little bit late). This I didn't mind that much, deep world characterisation requires something from the reader too. Additionally, the sketch of the intrigue is in place already and all looks very promising indeed.

message 37: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Finished either chapter 17 or 18...can't recall now. Now that I gave gotten more used to the writing and the characters are starting to fall into place for me, I'm really liking this. Will try to check in the morning where I am and give more thoughts. I don't want to mark any spoilers incorrectly.

Miche | 2999 comments Random impressions up to chapter 22:

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Iain wrote: "I was going to reverse course again and join this Buddy Read, since I had the time, but it never got turned into an audiobook......... so I guess I'll have to skip again..."

Lazy Iain. :D

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I’m on chapter 4. Took me a while to get through the sense world building and all the foreign names and especially their two languages and honorifics.

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Miche wrote: "Random impressions up to chapter 6:

It is hard to imagine kids learning politics and war strategies at such young age. A society that in times of peace keeps training everybody for war won't have..."

Miche, (view spoiler)

What I like a lot is the fact that (view spoiler)

I reached chapter 7 (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Chapter 14. I really love how the Author plays with the concept that second son is expected to be second best and how she shows it completely untrue. But also with the lines drawn and the group mentality already in place, I appreciate that not everything is black and white and that even those supposedly on the mean side are not brute and stupid by default and that they have their own internal struggles.

Having said this, things are about to get worse, I expect.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I had a lot of trouble in chapter 5-7 keeping the boys straight and the names and the nicknames and the honorifics again. But it’s starting to click into place.

Miche | 2999 comments Scott wrote: "I'm done with part one (through chapter 30).

[spoilers removed]"

It wasn't a surprise, but it was still sad.

Miche | 2999 comments I finished it tonight. I really liked it and I am looking forward to the next book.

I am falling asleep now, so I will come back later this week with further impressions about the book.

message 46: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Chapter 11, and I like it so gar~

message 47: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Why is it that every warrior training school book I've read so far has institutionalised bullying?

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Sha wrote: "Why is it that every warrior training school book I've read so far has institutionalised bullying?"

It's also in the movies. I guess it is aimed at creating people who follow orders mindlessly.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Chapter 13. I am really getting into it. Was skeptical at first and found the writing difficult. But now I just want to read and not stop.

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments high five Olivia! we will continue the series, will we not?

« previous 1