Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] 14th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Winners are in. And this was a polarizing week, so we only have 2 clear winners. Which means we get to have another poll!

Winners:
- A book published in the last three years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you have not read before
- A book with a plot centered around a secret (e.g., forbidden love, spies, resistance fighters, secret societies, conspiracy theories)

Bottom:
- A book about or based on a religion (fiction or nonfiction)
- A book with a dinosaur
- A book that has something to do with Halloween

Polarizing:
- A book that you're reading as part of a reading group, buddy read, or Book of the Month (either in the AtY group or outside of it)
- A book about or involving the arts (visual arts [painting, sculpture, illustration, etc], performing arts [music, dance, theater, etc], literature, architecture, etc.)
- A book with less than 2018 ratings

No close calls this time.

A new (maybe the last) round of suggestions will open Saturday, September 30 at 11am EST.

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 29, 2017 10:10AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7200 comments Mod
This is the first time one of my bottoms ended up in the top -- and both of the tops were in my bottom 4!

I just thought they were too general -- recent publications will fall under a lot of different categories that we already have, and nearly all books I read are centered around a secret.

I guess I shouldn't complain about having a couple easy prompts to fill on those weeks that my book club picks something that doesn't really fit anywhere else, but just a bit bummed.

I am happy with the bottom 3 though! Religion and Halloween are two things I don't enjoy reading about, and interesting dinosaur books were hard to find.

message 3: by Nicole (last edited Sep 29, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Well, those are some interesting results. I'm kind of bummed, but we can't always get what we want, right?

One of my top choices is in the top, one is in the bottom, one is polarizing, and the other isn't shown in the results.

Of my bottom choices, one is in the top, and the other three aren't show in the results.

I guess the good news is that we get to have another round of suggestions and another poll, so that will be fun!

message 4: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments One of my tops (last 3 years) made the top and one of my bottoms (religion) made the bottom. I don't mind the other winner so I guess it's all good.

message 5: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Interesting results! I think I didn't vote for dinosaur, but I was still kinda hoping it would win, since it would have pushed me to find something new to read that's not on my TBR.

I don't think I read many "secret" books so that will be interesting to look for. Spy books will be easy for me to find, but are there lists of books about forbidden love? I'd like to look at that, too.

message 6: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I'm new to the group - what does it mean if the prompt is polarizing?

message 7: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Polarizing means a large and fairly equal number of both up and down votes. I'm sure a mod can explain it better, but I think that's more or less correct.

message 8: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments So will the polarizing prompts go into the next round of voting, or will it be all new suggestions?

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1667 comments Polarizing prompts can be resubmit in the next poll but they are not automatically entered.

message 10: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Thanks :). I'm fascinated by the system of voting and can't wait to participate next year! It sounds like so much fun!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2668 comments I'm very happy with the results. Both top choices were in my top 4 so obviously I'm glad they made it. I'm a little surprised about the bottom 4 choices, but I didn't particularly care for any of them so I'm okay with it.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments Interesting results. Two of my top choices were polarizing, but the other two aren't even a blip on the radar. One of my bottom choices in the bottom, but again, the others aren't even a blip on the radar. The two winners are fine, but they aren't options I gave much thought to...

At least the arts one is polarizing, so I can use it for the 2018 polarizing/close call prompt. I have a Stevie Nicks bio I want to read. :)

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 920 comments Very comfortable with the winners, even though I didn't vote for them. One of my bottoms was in the bottom, which I am pleased about,as I couldn't find a book I was interested in for it.
I'm expecting the last poll to be full of repeats, as people will want one last try to get them in.

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Nadine wrote: "Polarizing means a large and fairly equal number of both up and down votes. I'm sure a mod can explain it better, but I think that's more or less correct."

You explained it perfectly!

Chinook wrote: "Thanks :). I'm fascinated by the system of voting and can't wait to participate next year! It sounds like so much fun!"
Don't hesitate to participate this year, we will have one or two more rounds of suggestions

message 15: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1303 comments Mod
Man the arts prompt has been polarizing every time.

I personally think the less than 2018 ratings was just misunderstood. Maybe it would get more traction now that people have thought about it a bit more, but I've said that in the past about other prompts and been wrong.

I'm glad religion is in the bottom, because frankly it's all over the news and I don't need it in my reading too.

I wish dinosaur had gotten through, but I like dinos and I know not everyone does.

message 16: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm quite surprised at how out of sync I've been with the group on the voting this year. The last three years prompt was in my bottom 4 because it felt like too easy a prompt to fill. I know some people do this challenge purely to read more (which is the reason I initially started it too) or to knock some books off their to read list but I really feel like a lot of the prompts this year are really open to pretty much anything. A lot of them seem like free reads to me which, although that's obviously fine, kind of takes out some of the challenge aspect of it in my mind.

Of course, I must be in the minority with this way of thinking because otherwise the votes would've been a lot different. Ah, well. I only ever seem to manage to get about half the list finished at the most anyway so I tend to prioritise my favourite prompts out of the winners anyway.

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 153 comments Nadine wrote: "Interesting results! I think I didn't vote for dinosaur, but I was still kinda hoping it would win, since it would have pushed me to find something new to read that's not on my TBR.

I don't think ..."

Nadine,

Here are some lists I found when I first suggested the secret prompt.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/se...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

The goodreads tag/secret one is a list of lists (including on forbidden love and other kinds of secrets).

I'm sure people will find more lists/suggestions when we start next year.

message 18: by Debra (last edited Sep 29, 2017 06:53PM) (new)

Debra Barstad Kind of disappointed in the results. It seems like the same type of prompt is evident through out all the categories. I'm not sure I will even participate in this challenge next year as all the categories appear to be closely related. Just my thoughts here. for example we all ready have the prompt read a book published in 2018 and now we have another one where we have to read a book published in the last three years. looking at the list already picked I have only seen 1 week that is remotely close to thriller/ mystery/ horror.

My bad I seem to be having a bad day I seemed to find quite a few books on my TBR list that will work for most of the catagories but there are a few that I probably will not do as I do not want to buy anymore books. Will there be a wildcard this year as in the past?

message 19: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1303 comments Mod
Debra wrote: "Kind of disappointed in the results. It seems like the same type of prompt is evident through out all the categories. I'm not sure I will even participate in this challenge next year as all the cat..."

I'm a mystery lover too, but looking at the list, I think I'll be able to pick within my favorite genre for most of the weeks. Actually in looking back over the list, I think many of the prompts are pretty well suited for myster/thriller/horror/etc : body part in title, book that scares you, medical/legal thriller, the Clue one, the seven deadly sins, villain point of view, ghost story, edgar award, inspired by real events, about a secret...

message 20: by Jillian (last edited Sep 29, 2017 05:10PM) (new)

Jillian | 1667 comments Debra, just this morning I was thinking the exact opposite that the list is really heavy with mystery type prompts which I would prefer a lot less of.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2668 comments I was wondering the same thing about genre-based prompts. In my PopSugar group discussion boards, there's been some talk about genre-based prompts and it seems that most people aren't a huge fan because they are either already reading that genre, or not interested in it for a reason and don't want to feel forced. I think there are lots of prompts on our list so far that will work well for thrillers or mysteries.

message 22: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I often use prompts to push me to read something outside my comfort zone, but how many sci fi books/ mysteries/ memoirs/ whatever do I have to read to know whether or not I like the genre? So I take it as a challenge to find something that fits the topic that also suits my taste. For example, I'm not religious myself but I seconded the religion topic because I thought it would be fun to find something that works there: PD James has a mystery where a crime was committed in a church, there's Eliot's classic Murder in the Cathedral, many books discussing the rights of women who do/do not wear a hijab, fiction that takes place in the middle ages or the middle east or ancient Egypt or the American colonies or the California missions, all of which play around religion. So even though I like some topics and not others, there's usually something that will work AND make me happy!

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I would have to agree with others that I was a little surprised at the book published in the last 3 years, especially considering we already have a book published in 2018 and a book from the 2017 Goodreads reader's choice awards. Although I didn't vote for it, I do like the secret prompt and it was almost in my top 4 but I changed my mind at the last second.

I'm already making my list and I'm finding I am heavy on fantasy and sci-fi with a smattering of historical fiction, horror and thrillers making up the majority of the others. As far as the list goes, from what I can tell, with the exception of 6 genre specific topics, the list is pretty open to any book or genre fulfilling all the other topics.

Of those 6 (A gothic novel, a medical/legal thriller, a narrative non-fiction, a science/science fiction, a literary fiction and a short story/collection) the only two that are really limited in their content are the gothic novel and the medical/legal thriller because they are fairly specific. The science/sci-fi book is sort or in between - if it was just one or the other I would say it was a little more limiting but the "science or sci-fi" allows for a huge range of subjects that can cross genre boundaries.

Even though short story/literary fiction/narrative-nonfiction are specific genres, they are pretty big umbrella terms with a lot of room to play with subject matter and the type of book we choose.

I'm a fan of the genre prompts and I'm liking that the ones we've picked for next year are mostly different from the ones we had this year (historical fiction/mystery/modern classic/nonfiction).

message 24: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments I'm not surprised at the bottom picks, but the top ones flew under my radar. I voted for polarizing books this time around. Oh, well, a chance for another poll!