Public Domain Readers discussion

Monthly Themed Archives > October 2017 - Mistaken Identity

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sawako (new)

Sawako | 493 comments Mod
Each month we will read a public domain book in a certain genre, about a particular subject, or by an specific author. Report which book or story you've decided to read. Feel free to discuss what you're reading and the author's writing style. Don't forget to leave a review of your selected work.

Bakuman
Source: Bakuman, Japanese manga.

Feel free to check these books and add more to them 😊
1. The Prince and the Pauper. Online Text Audio Book
2. The Prisoner of Zenda. Online Text Audio Book
3. A Tale of Two Cities. Online Text Audio Book
4. The Man in the Iron Mask. Online Text
5. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Online Text Audio Book
6. The Woman in White. Online Text Audio Book
7. The Double Online Text
8. The Great Impersonation Online Text Audio Book
9. False Colours. Online Text
10. The masqueraders Online Text

message 2: by Sawako (new)

I hope you like what I did. I've been waiting to do this monthly read for quite a while now. I also hope that this will encourage you to participate. I know life gets in the way. But we can read one page at a time or listen to the audiobook. Happy October, everyone!
🎃🎃🎃

message 3: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 387 comments Mod
What a fun theme! We'll definitely have to share books that we know fits.

One book that fits this theme is The Man Who Lost Himself by Henry de Vere Stacpoole. It's a great story.

I'll keep trying to remember more.

message 4: by SAI (new)

SAI (-sai-) | 20 comments Sawako wrote: "Each month we will read a public domain book in a certain genre, about a particular subject, or by an specific author. Report which book or story you've decided to read. Feel free to discuss what y..."
The Lady of the Basement Flat

message 5: by Sawako (new)

Thanks, Lanelle! What an interesting book.

Thank you, Sruthi for your book recommendation.

I've added them to my TBR list.

message 6: by Sawako (last edited Oct 27, 2017 02:19AM) (new)

Hello everyone,

I've read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I enjoyed reading the book. And David Barnes is an awesome reader.

I'm currently reading The Prisoner of Zenda. And I must say that I'm enjoying Andy Minter's reading of the book. He may rest in peace. I'm happy that he was part of LibriVox.

I've also discovered a cool website. https://www.howlongtoreadthis.com/ind...

This website tells you how long it will take an average reader to read the book. And you can do a reading test to know your time. It would be awesome to use it if we did the one book a day challenge. What do you think, Lanelle?

message 7: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "This website tells you how long it will take an average reader to read the book. And you can do a reading test to know your time. It would be awesome to use it if we did the one book a day challenge. What do you think, Lanelle?"

You'll have to remind me about the 'one book a day' challenge.

message 8: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "You'll have to remind me about the 'one book a day' challenge."

Sure. The challenge is to pick any book that you can finish in a day. For example, you can finish The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in 54 minutes. And we can use How Long to Read This website to know the reading time. Also, you can base it on your own reading time by doing a reading test on the website. We can do it as a December challenge. What do you think?

message 9: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Sure. The challenge is to pick any book that you can finish in a day. For example, you can finish The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in 54 minutes. And we can use How Long to Read This website to know the reading time. Also, you can base it on your own reading time by doing a reading test on the website. We can do it as a December challenge. What do you think?"

That sounds fun. I think we should try it.

message 10: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "That sounds fun. I think we should try it. "

Great!

message 11: by Sawako (new)

Hello everyone,

I've finished reading The Prisoner of Zenda. It was nice. I especially liked the audiobook. I also found out that I don't remember it well. I studied it in my first year of Junior High where we were assigned English Literature for the first time. We studied novels, poems, and Shakespeare's plays (of course they were simplified).

Books that I've added to my TBR list.
1. The Prince and the Pauper.
2. A Tale of Two Cities. I studied this as well in Junior High, and I would love to read the unabridged version.
3. The Man in the Iron Mask.
4. The Double
5. The Great Impersonation
6. The Man Who Lost Himself
7. The Lady of the Basement Flat

I'm looking forward to November's reading.

message 12: by Sawako (new)

I completely forgot to add:

1. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie Online Text (1) or Online Text (2)

2. Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers Online Text (1) or Online Text (2)