Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Personal Lists > Speculative fiction around the world

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam I've started a year ago a project to read speculative fiction (paranormal, science fiction, magic, etc.), short stories, folk stories, comics, from around the world. Or poems, maybe? O.o

I'd be happy to read your suggestions for authors from all of the countries except Great Britain, USA, Japan, or Poland. If you'd like to know the titles from countries I read so far, feel free to ask.

I'm interested only in authors who were born and raised in the selected countries (so, no Asian American born and raised in the USA) until adulthood.

I have read stories from the following countries:
- Argentina
- Belgium
- Canada
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Ireland
- Israel
- Japan
- The Netherlands
- Norway
- Poland
- Ukraine
- Russia
- Sweden

I know about Lavie Tidhar's Apex anthology, but I hope to still get some "stand-alone" or other series' stories.

I can read in Polish/English/Russian/Japanese/Indonesian (Malaysian).

Thanks.

message 2: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Hmm -- I don't have much to offer in this category. Books that come immediately to mind are: The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (Argentina), Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay (Australia), and We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (Russia), but you might already be familiar with them.

If you were to include magical realism in the paranormal/speculative realm, that would include familiar books like One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (Colombia) and The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile), but it could also include The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Nigeria) and Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (Australia).

As for the other categories which you are interested in, I'd recommend perusing this board; there may already be lists for that topic. For instance, there is already a topic for graphic novels from around the world.

message 3: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 322 comments Aussie stuff I can help with.
More along the lines of what you are after:
The Swan Book
The Natural Way of Things
Only the Animals
Death Most Definite
Tomorrow, When the War Began
On the Beach but Neville Shute did move here from London. But it's hard to avoid in Australia, we're pretty much based on migration.

Other options:
Isobelle Carmody stuff. I recommend Obernewtyn
The Rook is written by a friend of a friend in my city and is fantastic, but based in London.
Victor Kelleher
Lian Hearn
White Tiger
Dreaming of Zhou Gong
Max Barry

message 4: by Rusalka (last edited Sep 29, 2017 07:38PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 322 comments Other places:
New Zealand - Guardian of the Dead (although the author may have just moved to Melbourne). A bit YA though.
South Africa - Zoo City

On my to read list:
China - The Three-Body Problem
Finland - The Rabbit Back Literature Society
Grenada - Crystal Rain
Portugal - Blindness
Iceland - Lovestar
Philippines - The Girl from the Well

Hope some of these help

message 5: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12851 comments I just read a speculative fiction book from Djibouti - In the United States of Africa by Abdourahman A. Waberi.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith Hollinshed | 5 comments If you like different countries try Paper Lady by Judith Hollinshed which is all about the impact of Independence on black and white in the highlands of Papua New Guinea

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam Mome_Rath wrote: "Hmm -- I don't have much to offer in this category. Books that come immediately to mind are: The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (Argentina),"

Actually "Morel" was what I read. I don't want magical realism, but folktales are good.

Thanks for tips on graphic novels, I'll try that.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam Rusalka and Diane, thanks for the tips.

Judith, thanks but I prefer local writers.