Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Elyse's Readathoning! est. 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 757 (757 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Elyse (last edited Apr 18, 2018 09:55AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Here is where I will keep track of my Readathon progress!

I will keep reading Stephen King for the Readathon, as I am reading only King books for the whole month of October!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Wow, that is ambitious. Have fun!

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Wow, that is ambitious. Have fun!"

Thanks! I'm excited because I've only read 5 King books and I own over 30! So I have a pretty good selection. ;)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments I think I've only read one of his books. The Eyes of the Dragon

message 5: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "I think I've only read one of his books. The Eyes of the Dragon"

I have that one! Haven't read it.

message 6: by Robbie Dee (new)

Robbie Dee (robbie_dee) Nice! Definitely read his Dark Tower series if you haven't already :)

message 7: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Robbie Dee wrote: "Nice! Definitely read his Dark Tower series if you haven't already :)"

I've only read The Gunslinger so far. I do have them all though. My husband has been trying to get me to read them for years! Those and the Drizzt books. lol

message 8: by Robbie Dee (new)

Robbie Dee (robbie_dee) Elyse wrote: "Robbie Dee wrote: "Nice! Definitely read his Dark Tower series if you haven't already :)"

I've only read The Gunslinger so far. I do have them all though. My husband has been trying to get me to r..."

Oh, those ones are on my to-read as well! I've seen them on many lists.

message 9: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Robbie Dee wrote: "Oh, those ones are on my to-read as well! I've seen them on many lists..."

I've read some Drizzt short stories and know I would totally be into them but my TBR is too long! lol. I even own them all!

message 10: by Robbie Dee (new)

Robbie Dee (robbie_dee) Elyse wrote: "Robbie Dee wrote: "Oh, those ones are on my to-read as well! I've seen them on many lists..."

I've read some Drizzt short stories and know I would totally be into them but my TBR is too long! lol...."

Yup, mine too! Just keeps growing. I would have to read books the way Kim Basinger does in My Stepmother is an Alien in order to get through them all. By which I mean, reading it in its entirety within a few seconds of touching it to your skin. That was a memorable movie moment from my 1980s childhood.

message 11: by Elyse (last edited Oct 16, 2017 10:59AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments I know I'll be finishing up Skeleton Crew and Christine before Friday.

My TBR is looking like this:
Bag of Bones (paperback)
The Shining (paperback)
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (graphic novel)
Hearts in Atlantis (audiobook)
11.22.63 (ebook)

One of every medium! :) I've definitely got some big ones but I plan on rotating them every hour or so and see how I progress. Audiobook when I get sick of reading and graphic novel for a change of scenery.

message 12: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments Good plan! I've discovered that graphic novels and an audio book really help my staying power. I should get to work on my own list. I pretty much know what my TBR/plan will be, but I need to put it in writing. :)

message 13: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Leni wrote: "Good plan! I've discovered that graphic novels and an audio book really help my staying power. I should get to work on my own list. I pretty much know what my TBR/plan will be, but I need to put it..."

I knew too but I needed to see it. And keep looking at it lovingly. Lists are the good, reading lists are even better!

message 14: by Jan Schwartz (new)

Jan Schwartz | 26 comments an audio book? what a great idea and a great time for me to try it out. i see a trip to my local library in my very near future.

message 15: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Jan wrote: "an audio book? what a great idea and a great time for me to try it out. i see a trip to my local library in my very near future."

Yes, it's wonderful to have when you're running low on energy. When I'm really tired I'll set it for a half hour and if I'm still awake, I'll do another half hour. But if I fall asleep, I won't miss much.

message 16: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments Elyse, that's what I do too! Sometimes I am too tired (eyes) to read so I like to listen. I also like immersion reading where I can read and listen at the same time.

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Karen B. wrote: "Elyse, that's what I do too! Sometimes I am too tired (eyes) to read so I like to listen. I also like immersion reading where I can read and listen at the same time."

I've never done that! I seldom have both audio and book. Or if I accidentally do, I don't realize I do. haha.

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments Last RAT, I had one book on both audio and ebook. It was really helpful to be able to switch between the two depending on how tired I was.

message 19: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments I love doing that too Shelley. Sometimes it's just my eyes that are tired!

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 323 comments Mod
Shelley wrote: "Last RAT, I had one book on both audio and ebook. It was really helpful to be able to switch between the two depending on how tired I was."

That's one of the things I LOVE about Amazon owning Audible. I have a ton of books in both kindle and audible. I love the whispersync feature because I can bounce back and forth between eBook and audio as needed. And since I have three Amazon Echoes throughout my house (A Tap, An original Echo, and an Echo Dot) and they also sync to Audible, I can leave my phone in one room and switch between Kindles (which BTW I have 4 of, and I plan to scatter them about the house) and Echoes to finish books based on where I am, what I'm doing, and how I'm reading.

message 21: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments oh sounds like you're off to a great start! Enjoy

message 22: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments It's pouring down with rain here, and wild gusts of wind. Perfect for being holed up inside with books!

message 23: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments I just want to keep reading all Sunday. I don't think I have anything else I need to do. Put some laundry on, maybe. I still have snacks and books. Maybe a nap in the afternoon. Lol

message 24: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Leni wrote: "I just want to keep reading all Sunday. I don't think I have anything else I need to do. Put some laundry on, maybe. I still have snacks and books. Maybe a nap in the afternoon. Lol"

Oh me too! I made it 18 hours 14 minutes so I plan on reading until I hit 24 hours! :) It's going to be a beautiful day again so back out on the deck!

message 25: by Elyse (last edited Jul 29, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments End Totals Wrap-Up
Total time reading: 18 hrs 14 mins
Pages read: 467 (+275 pages if I transfer listening time to pages read)
Hours listened: 8 hrs 10 mins
Breaks/sleep: 5 hrs 45 mins
Books finished: 1 (Skeleton Crew)
Books started: 2 (The Shining and The Drawing of the Three)
Books progressed in: 1 (Hearts in Atlantis audio)

In April I read more and listened to audio less so that's why my page count is so low this time. Higher page count is so much more exciting to see though. Lol. But I've never listened to audio for 8 hours in one day! I had a lot of fun and did better than April!

Facebook Wrap-Up Post

message 26: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Back for April! Woot! Gotta beat my time of 18 hrs!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 338 comments Look forward to watching your updates Elyse :)

message 28: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments My books will only come from my To Read Soon shelf! These books are a combination of:

books checked out from the real library and Overdrive
First to Read & Bookish First ARCs
select current NetGalley ARCs
Goodreads Giveaways wins
Amazon Prime Reading
Kindle Unlimited
audiobooks I have to listen to before July
iBooks I have on my Apple devices
Google Play books
audiobooks I got from AudioFile last year
ebooks saved from RivetedLit.com
free Comixology comics

So it's quite the mixture of ebooks, physical books, audiobooks, and comics/graphic novels all of varying lengths. They are all books that I have on hand and immediate access to (the library books are due back *after* Dewey's). I will not stray! (I hope)

message 29: by Juli (new)

Juli | 87 comments Elyse wrote: "My books will only come from my To Read Soon shelf! These books are a combination of:

books checked out from the real library and Overdrive
First to Read & Bookish First ARCs
select current NetGal..."

You'll have plenty of choices across so many media!

message 30: by Elyse (last edited Apr 27, 2018 06:52AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments My unofficial official TBR as I have time constraints on some books so they are forced!

- A Darker Shade of Magic (hardcover due back to library 5/2. reread, originally listened to audiobook and felt like I missed a lot)
- The Hotel New Hampshire (hardcover due back to library 5/2)

- Royals (e-ARC expires 5/8)
- The Smoke Thieves (e-ARC expires 5/8)
- Undead Girl Gang (e-ARC expires 5/8)
- Warlight (e-ARC expires 5/8)
- Skyjack (hardcover ARC with a review overdue)
- Picture Us in the Light (hardcover ARC with a review overdue)
- No Less Days (e-ARC with a review overdue)
- They Feed (e-ARC rec'd to read during SpringIntoHorror April Readathon)

- Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (graphic novel to switch things up)
- The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel (graphic novel to switch things up)

- Shadows on the Moon (have audio and library ebook for tired eyes)
- Shadowshaper (audio) read 4/26-4/27

message 31: by Juli (new)

Juli | 87 comments Elyse wrote: "My unofficial official TBR as I have time constraints on some books so they are forced!

- A Darker Shade of Magic (hardcover due back to library 5/2. reread, originally listened to..."

Great list!

message 32: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments It is 5:50am EST and I will be starting my Readathon at 6am. I found out last night that my grammy is in the hospital for the 4th time in 2 weeks, twice being admitted. So I'm going with my mom and a brother to visit her today. I will be listening to my audiobook on the drive to Mom's house, then hopefully half-listening to it on the drive to the hospital and back. So I'm starting 2 hours early to make up some time.

Tea is steeping, water is ready, and I'm on page 367 of Heir of Fire!

message 33: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments Elyse wrote: "It is 5:50am EST and I will be starting my Readathon at 6am. I found out last night that my grammy is in the hospital for the 4th time in 2 weeks, twice being admitted. So I'm going with my mom and..."

Oh no! Poor grammy! Sounds like they should keep her in hospital and get her well!

message 34: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Leni wrote: "Oh no! Poor grammy! Sounds like they should keep her in hospital and get her well!.."

Yeah, she had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and has been having problems since. Seems like every medication they put her on causes something else to happen. :/ She turns 80 in June!

message 35: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments Elyse wrote: "Hour 14: Shadows on the Moon (audio listening at 1.5x speed) 1 hour 26 minutes

Made my 7-layer dip. Actually 8 because I added jalapenos to it! Now time to hunker down and finish [b..."

The jalapenos sound like a good idea for staying awake. lol

message 36: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments Yeah, I just read two graphic novels and will have to postpone vol 3 to after I've had some sleep. I'll be no fun at all if I try to stay awake the whole readathon. lol

message 37: by Elyse (last edited Apr 29, 2018 02:44AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Hour 18-23: Heir of Fire Pgs 539-576 FINISHED!
Shadows on the Moon (audio listening at 1.5x speed) 2 hours 14 minutes, I actually listened and then ended up reading the rest of the book because I could read faster than listening. lol. FINISHED!
They Feed Pgs 1-33

I ended up staying up later than I thought I would lying in bed! Once I took my contacts out, my eyes felt less tired. Got up at 5am to get back to it!

I totally screwed up my time and forgot to start my Stopwatch a few times so I started at 6am instead of 8am so +2 hours, lost time from 10am-3pm so -5 hours, then lost time from 12am-5am so -5 hours. I will keep reading for 8 hours after the Readathon officially ends to read for 24 hours (in 32 hours)! :)

message 38: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments My 6am-6am is officially done so I'm going to tally now, even though I'll continue unofficially for awhile yet and there's still 1 hour and 15 minutes for the rest of the Readathoners!

End Totals Wrap-Up
Total time reading: Roughly 16 hours (had a couple hour hiccup, slept for 5 hours, and forgot to start my Stopwatch a few times)
Pages read: 771 (including audio)
Hours listened: 11 hrs 45 minutes
Breaks/sleep: 3 hours hospital visit, 5 hours sleep
Books finished: 1 - Heir of Fire 209 pages
Books completely read during Readathon: 1 - Shadows on the Moon (audio / 465 pages)
Books started: 3 - They Feed (33 pages), The Hotel New Hampshire (40 pages), The Refugees (audio / 24 pages)

message 39: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments July 28 - Reverse Readathon! Yes! I'm in!

message 40: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 862 comments Elyse wrote: "July 28 - Reverse Readathon! Yes! I'm in!"

Reverse readathon??

message 41: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Instead of 8am-8am they're doing 8pm-8pm. July 27-28. Check the website! :)

message 42: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 862 comments Elyse wrote: "Instead of 8am-8am they're doing 8pm-8pm. July 27-28. Check the website! :)"

Thx Elyse!
I was confused. Thought Dewey's was only in October and mixed it up with the 24in48 readathon 🙈

message 44: by Elyse (last edited Jul 27, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Snacks & Drinks:
Smoothies/water/iced chai tea and Bai tea/seltzer
Watermelon, strawberries, grapes
Skittles (my weakness)
One Caramello bar
Mixed nuts
Cheese and crackers

Meals:
Breakfast - Smoothie/English muffin
Lunch - Chilled tomato soup (found a recipe last week that I want to try and a hot summer day is perfect!)
Supper - Grilling (husband's job!) - steak & veggie rollups

Going to try to get my husband to take the trash on Friday and run his errands then so I don't have to join him on Saturday. lol. It's our every other week run. Achieved!

message 45: by Elyse (last edited Jul 27, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments I have 3 current reads that I very much desire to finish before Friday night!

In The Afterlight (audio) 50% through. Should be able to manage Finished before RAT!
Skyjack 50% through. Should be able to manage Finished before RAT!
Us Against You barely 20% through. At only 336 pgs and an enjoyable author, I *should* be able to manage but this book is not catching my attention as much as Beartown did Putting aside till Sunday

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Elyse wrote: "I have quite a few free Comixology comics that I really want to clear out so I think my main focus will be them!

The Guild: Knights of Good
Valiant High #2
[book:Pa..."

Sounds like a great mix of reads for all moods, and a great menu for the day. What more does one need?

message 47: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Susan wrote: "Sounds like a great mix of reads for all moods, and a great menu for the day. What more does one need?..."

Just the ability to stay awake for 24 hours! I do not have that ability. lol

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Elyse wrote: "Susan wrote: "Sounds like a great mix of reads for all moods, and a great menu for the day. What more does one need?..."

Just the ability to stay awake for 24 hours! I do not have that ability. lol"

Lol. Me neither.

message 49: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments Hey, wait, is the whole Lumberjanes series on KU now? It was only the first volume last I had KU. But it looks like I can get another three month trial. :D

message 50: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Leni wrote: "Hey, wait, is the whole Lumberjanes series on KU now? It was only the first volume last I had KU. But it looks like I can get another three month trial. :D"

Up to Volume 5! I was very excited! I have no free months but I thought it was worth it to sign up again for one month. ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16