2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > October - Folklore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2017 09:58PM) (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments OCTOBER CHALLENGE: FOLKLORE
Duration: October 1, 2017 to October 31, 2017

Ballads A ballad is a traditional poem or folk song that tells a story, be it about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude, or a tragic death, to name but a few possible topics. Read a book about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude or a tragic death.

Fairy Tales Fairy tales are traditional stories, intended primarily for children, which recount human encounters with supernatural beings such as fairies, witches, ogres, and the like, most often conveying a cautionary message. Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements.

Folk Art As distinct from fine art, folk art comprises a range of artistic productions and handicrafts. These include paintings, sculptures, quilts, pottery, and furniture using traditional styles and methods, and often employing imagery or symbolism from local mythology. Read a book about art or a book about an artist.

Folk Dance A folk dance (also sometimes called ethnic dance) is any dance that originated with the common people of a region or cultural group and has been handed down by tradition. They were usually held at social gatherings by people who learned the dances informally. Read a book that include social gatherings or regional traditions.

Jokes A joke is a humorous story or anecdote meant to provoke laughter through irony, wordplay, the thwarting of expectations, the juxtaposition of images, and other long-practiced techniques. Read a funny book, or one with a funny character.

Legends A legend is a traditional historical tale or collection of related tales popularly regarded as true but usually containing a mixture of fact and fiction. They may explain an event or have a moral lesson. Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson.

Myths A myth is a traditional sacred story, usually featuring gods and heroes, which purports to give a cosmic explanation of a natural phenomenon or cultural practice. It is part of the cultural fabric, conveying essential (if not literal) truth and meshing with other stories and beliefs in the society. Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon.

Riddles A riddle is a linguistic puzzle posed in the form of a question containing clues to its solution. It's a form of verbal play and popular with children. Read a book that contains riddles or other verbal play.

Superstitions A superstition is an irrational belief (i.e., one held in spite of evidence to the contrary), usually involving supernatural forces and associated with rituals. A superstition may conflict with a person's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, but still be held and practiced. Read a book involving religion, rituals or supernatural forces.

Urban Legends An urban legend is a humorous or horrific story or piece of information circulated as though true, especially one purporting to involve someone vaguely related or known to the teller. Read a book that contains a story within the story or one that involves horrific elements.

June is the leader of this challenge, thank you June!

message 2: by Sharon (last edited Nov 01, 2017 12:24PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments I'm in for 5

OCTOBER CHALLENGES: FOLKLORE
goal 5/5
Ballads A ballad is a traditional poem or folk song that tells a story, be it about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude, or a tragic death, to name but a few possible topics. Read a book about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude or a tragic death.
A Family Affair (Truth in Lies, #1) by Mary Campisi
Fairy Tales Fairy tales are traditional stories, intended primarily for children, which recount human encounters with supernatural beings such as fairies, witches, ogres, and the like, most often conveying a cautionary message. Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements.
Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop
Folk Dance A folk dance (also sometimes called ethnic dance) is any dance that originated with the common people of a region or cultural group and has been handed down by tradition. They were usually held at social gatherings by people who learned the dances informally. Read a book that include social gatherings
Forever Charmed (Halloween Laveau, #1) by Rose Pressey
Legends A legend is a traditional historical tale or collection of related tales popularly regarded as true but usually containing a mixture of fact and fiction. They may explain an event or have a moral lesson. Read a historical or historical fiction book
Colleen (Mail-Order Brides Club #3) by Ashley Merrick
Urban Legends An urban legend is a humorous or horrific story or piece of information circulated as though true, especially one purporting to involve someone vaguely related or known to the teller. Read a book that contains a story within the story
The Watchers (Dead Sea Trilogy, #1) by Ashley Jensen

message 3: by Debra (last edited Oct 30, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments sign me up for 4
1. Ballad Grey
2. Fairy Tales Dead Witch Walking
3.Superstitions Significance
4. Urban Legends The Story of Her Holding an Orange

Completed 4/4

message 4: by Mie (last edited Oct 19, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Mie | 1897 comments I'll try 5 of them :-) - COMPLETE ✔️

✅ Ballads - The Last Olympian ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ Fairy tales- Blood Promise ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ Folk art - The Picture of Dorian Gray ⭐️⭐️
✅ Jokes - Bridget Jones's Diary ⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ Myths - Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 5: by June (last edited Oct 15, 2017 09:50AM) (new)

June | 195 comments I'll try for 3

Ballads: Salt to the Sea Oct 8
Folk dance: The Night Circus Oct 14
Legends: Many Waters Oct 5

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments In for one, thank you.

message 7: by Marissa (last edited Oct 23, 2017 02:26PM) (new)

Marissa | 288 comments I'll try for 5

Duration: October 1, 2017 - October 31st, 2017
Progress: 4/5

1. Legends: The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (10/08/17)
2. Fairy Tales: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (10/09/17)
3. Ballads: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (10/19/17)
4. Jokes: Happy Horsemanship by Dorothy Henderson Pinch (10/23/17)

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Oct 16, 2017 10:47AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3080 comments I'm going to aim for four books please: Uprooted, Norse Mythology, The Mermaid's Sister, Dracula

COMPLETED: 4/4
1. Norse Mythology read 1 October, ***** with review
2. Uprooted read 7 October, *****
3. Dracula read 13 October, *** with review
4. The Mermaid's Sister read 16 October, ****

message 9: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Oct 23, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6459 comments I'm in for 5!

OCTOBER CHALLENGE: FOLKLORE

Ballads - Frog Music by Emma Donoghue - completed

Fairy Tales - The Regional Office Is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales - completed

Folk Art

Folk Dance - A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch - completed

Jokes

Legends

Myths - The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker - completed

Riddles

Superstitions - The Queen of Katwe: A Story of Life, Chess, and One Extraordinary Girl's Dream of Becoming a Grandmaster by Tim Crothers - completed

Urban Legends - Wives Of War by Soraya Lane - completed

6/5 - challenge completed!

message 10: by Brianna (last edited Sep 30, 2017 02:15PM) (new)

Brianna Andreda | 58 comments OCTOBER CHALLENGE: FOLKLORE

Goal: 5
Progress: 0 books read

Ballads - Where She Went

Fairy Tales - Scarlet

Folk Art

Folk Dance

Jokes - Me Talk Pretty One Day

Legends - Kindred

Myths

Riddles

Superstitions - Living Dead in Dallas

Urban Legends

message 11: by Heather (last edited Oct 22, 2017 07:01AM) (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) I’d like to join in - I’ll go for eight please

Ballads: Read a book about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude or a tragic death. - The Rush Cutter's Legacy

Fairy Tales: Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements. - The Time Traveler's Wife

Folk Art: Read a book about art or a book about an artist.

Folk Dance: Read a book that include social gatherings or regional traditions. - The Family Trap

Jokes: Read a funny book, or one with a funny character. - Calling Major Tom

Legends: Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson. - The Housekeeper

Myths: Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon.

Riddles: Read a book that contains riddles or other verbal play. - Hush

Superstitions: Read a book involving religion, rituals or supernatural forces. - The Book of Souls

Urban Legends: Read a book that contains a story within the story or one that involves horrific elements. - Kill the Father

8/8

message 12: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1076 comments I'm in for 4 :)

message 13: by June (last edited Nov 06, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

June | 195 comments Tracking post

Participants

1. Sharon 5/5
2. Debra 4/4
3. Mie 5/5
4. June 3/3
5. Nik 0/1
6. Marissa 4/5
7. Rachael 4/4
8. Megan 4/5
9. Brianna 0/5
10. Heather 8/8
11. Janine 6/4
12. Rachel A 6/4
13. Cat 6/5
14. Siren 5/6
15. Greg 4/4
16. Sam F. 6/6 - completed and increased goal to 6
17. Delaney 1/3
18. Eirelyn 5/5
19. Sherry 3/3
20. Eden 0/3
21. Ash 0/5
22. Helen 3/3
23. Kelsi 7/7
24. Elina 4/4

Welcome everyone to this challenge and best of luck!

(Updated to message 79)

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I'm in. I will aim for 4.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Read The Time Traveler's Wife for a Fairy Tale with a supernatural element.

1/8 done

message 16: by Cat (last edited Oct 28, 2017 04:24AM) (new)

Cat Cat | 78 comments 6/5 completed
1. Fairy Tales: Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements. The Name of the Wind (it doesn't ger more fairy tale-ish than this 😄)

2. Folk Art: Read a book about art or a book about an artist. Old Paint

3. Jokes: Read a funny book, or one with a funny character.The Cuckoo's Calling (foggy London and misteries–best for autumn)

4. Myths: Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon. The Well of Ascension

5. Superstitions: Read a book involving religion, rituals or supernatural forces. The Handmaid's Tale

6. Ballads: Read a book about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude or a tragic death. A Tale of Two Cities

message 17: by June (new)

June | 195 comments Updated to message 16.

Congrats Heather on your first read.

Welcome Rachel A, and Cat!

message 18: by Siren (last edited Nov 01, 2017 12:22AM) (new)

Siren (boxilot) | 24 comments I'm in for 6 so far :)

✓Folk art - A Head Full of Ghosts
✓Fairy tales - Dracula
Superstitions - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Tales
✓Ballads/Legends - The Woman in Black
✓ Urban legends - IT
✓ Folk dance - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Updated: 5/6

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1627 comments I am in for 4 books.

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3080 comments Updated message 7: 1/4

message 21: by Sam F (last edited Oct 31, 2017 04:55PM) (new)

Sam F | 1091 comments I'll try for 3 this month:

1. Ballads: Read a book about a tragic death. - Night by Elie Wiesel

2. Riddles: Read a book that contains riddles or other verbal play. Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

3. Urban Legends: Read a book that contains a story within the story or one that involves horrific elements. Out by Natsuo Kirino

4. Folk Dances: Read a book that include social gatherings or regional traditions. The Rise & Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman

5. Jokes: Read a funny book, or one with a funny character - Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

6. Legends - Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson. - As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley

7. Myth - Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon. - Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson

message 22: by Delaney (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:20PM) (new)

Delaney (delaneyrice) | 48 comments I'm in for 3

✔️Myths- The Fever Code by James Dashner

Superstitions- The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Ballad- In a World Just Right by Jen Brooks

message 23: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1216 comments I'm in for 5. Thanks! :D

message 24: by June (new)

June | 195 comments Welcome to all the newcomers, tracking post updated to message 23.

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments I'm in for 3

message 26: by Eddy (new)

Eddy Ainsley (eden_ainsley) | 34 comments I'll do three

1) Ballad ▪️Bound
2) Legend ▪️The alchemist
3) Myth ▪️Girl of nightmares

message 27: by Ash (last edited Oct 02, 2017 07:48PM) (new)

Ash | 42 comments I'll take 5 please

Ballads: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Folk Dance: Birds, Beasts and Relatives
Jokes: Making Money
Urban Legends: Pet sematary

1 more tbd

message 28: by Rachel (last edited Oct 31, 2017 03:49PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments Ballads - Read a book about true love, a heroic adventure, a scandalous interlude or a tragic death.

Fairy Tales - Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements. - A Court of Thorns and Roses, which includes faeries and magic.

Folk Art - Read a book about art or a book about an artist. - I'm assuming all kinds of art count, not just visual arts. Lennie in The Sky Is Everywhere is a poet and a musician.

Folk Dance - Read a book that include social gatherings or regional traditions. - The Calligrapher's Daughter, which talks quite a bit about Korean traditions.

Jokes - Read a funny book, or one with a funny character. - Seconds

Legends - Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson. - The Wednesday Letters, which contains a message about the importance of forgiveness

Myths - Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon. - Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories. One of the short stories involves a fire.

Riddles- Read a book that contains riddles or other verbal play. - Save as Draft. Not riddles, but quite a few instances of characters quoting from movies for others to guess.

Superstitions - Read a book involving religion, rituals or supernatural forces. - Life of Pi. Switching The Wednesday Letters to different category, since this one seems to be a much better fit here.

Urban Legends - Read a book that contains a story within the story or one that involves horrific elements. - And the Trees Crept In

message 29: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1897 comments Update msg 4: 1/5
✅ Myths - Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1627 comments I have finished The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. This book is full of elves, trolls, goblins, giants, gods and demigods, the Shea, evil swords and mighty heroes. At its heart it is a tragic love story but I list it, for obvious reasons, as a fairy tale.

1/4

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen (hpfish13) | 272 comments I'm in for 3

message 32: by Greg (last edited Oct 04, 2017 08:22PM) (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1627 comments I finished The Defiant Agents by Andre Norton. Now this book is science fiction but contains a great deal of Apache folklore and rituals. A group of Apaches are transplanted to another planet against their will and fall back onto time honored tribal traditions. So, I will place this one under superstitions.

2/4

message 33: by Kelsi (last edited Oct 30, 2017 06:47PM) (new)

Kelsi | 336 comments I will just see how many I can manage if that's ok, I haven't been reading as much as I like to lately.

Completed: 7/7

Fangirl (10/21/17)

Frost Burned (10/12/17)

Folk Art As distinct from fine art, folk art comprises a range of artistic productions and handicrafts. These include paintings, sculptures, quilts, pottery, and furniture using traditional styles and methods, and often employing imagery or symbolism from local mythology. Read a book about art or a book about an artist.
Maybe Someday (10/14/17)

Folk Dance A folk dance (also sometimes called ethnic dance) is any dance that originated with the common people of a region or cultural group and has been handed down by tradition. They were usually held at social gatherings by people who learned the dances informally. Read a book that include social gatherings or regional traditions.
Darkfever (10/5/17)

Jokes A joke is a humorous story or anecdote meant to provoke laughter through irony, wordplay, the thwarting of expectations, the juxtaposition of images, and other long-practiced techniques. Read a funny book, or one with a funny character.

Legends A legend is a traditional historical tale or collection of related tales popularly regarded as true but usually containing a mixture of fact and fiction. They may explain an event or have a moral lesson. Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (10/9/17)

Myths A myth is a traditional sacred story, usually featuring gods and heroes, which purports to give a cosmic explanation of a natural phenomenon or cultural practice. It is part of the cultural fabric, conveying essential (if not literal) truth and meshing with other stories and beliefs in the society. Read a story involving a hero or a natural phenomenon.

Riddles A riddle is a linguistic puzzle posed in the form of a question containing clues to its solution. It's a form of verbal play and popular with children. Read a book that contains riddles or other verbal play.

Superstitions A superstition is an irrational belief (i.e., one held in spite of evidence to the contrary), usually involving supernatural forces and associated with rituals. A superstition may conflict with a person's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, but still be held and practiced. Read a book involving religion, rituals or supernatural forces.
Dune (10/15/17)

Urban Legends An urban legend is a humorous or horrific story or piece of information circulated as though true, especially one purporting to involve someone vaguely related or known to the teller. Read a book that contains a story within the story or one that involves horrific elements.
James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper (10/25/17)

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Read The Book of Souls for superstitions

2/8 completed

message 35: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3080 comments Update: 2/4 read

message 36: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6459 comments Just finished my first book (Ballad) - Frog Music by Emma Donoghue. I had high hopes for this book, particularly given that Donoghue wrote Room. And I was really disappointed. The novel was disjointed, in plot, phrasing, pacing, and development. It was incredibly difficult to know the main characters, let alone care for anything that happened to them. That had nothing to do with the professions of the characters, but for me, it was entirely due to the oddly disjointed book. It got better by the end but not enough to improve my rating above a 3. Not worth reading. 3 stars

1/5

message 37: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1076 comments Finished my first couple of books that fit this challenge; 2/4

Folk Dance: The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock - this book is set around Christmas and New Years in 1909 and there are quite a few holiday social gatherings!

Superstitions: Light - creepy supernatural forces galore, and some twisted ideas of religion!

message 38: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1091 comments Completed my first 3: Message 21

Will try for 3 more!

message 39: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1897 comments Update msg 4: 2/5
✅ Fairy tales - Blood Promise ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Excellent ‘urban legend’ book - Kill the Father

3/8 completed

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen (hpfish13) | 272 comments 2/3 Completed

Fairy Tales Fairy tales are traditional stories, intended primarily for children, which recount human encounters with supernatural beings such as fairies, witches, ogres, and the like, most often conveying a cautionary message. Read a fairy tale or another story with supernatural elements. One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire

Legends A legend is a traditional historical tale or collection of related tales popularly regarded as true but usually containing a mixture of fact and fiction. They may explain an event or have a moral lesson. Read a historical or historical fiction book, or a book containing a moral lesson. The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR by Susan Wise Bauer

message 42: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1627 comments I just read The Bridge at Andau which is an account of the Hungarian Revolt against the Soviet Union in 1956 as told to the author by numerous participants . So, this is my third book finished for this challenge.

3/4

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Book number four - for Folk Dance I read The Family Trap which had many social gatherings - a wedding, a blessing, two births ... an easy light read.

4/8 completed

message 44: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1076 comments Update: 3/4

Fairy Tales: Winter - the whole series is based on fairy tale and there are plenty of supernatural elements.

message 45: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3080 comments Updated message 8: 3/4

message 46: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6459 comments Just completed Folk Dance - It took me awhile to become interested in the book. While the trappings of the time period were studiously portrayed, the book lacked a connection for me with the main character. However, the mystery was interesting, and I slowly became interested in the people depicted. Worth reading, particularly for anglophiles. 3.5 stars

2/5

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) For Legends - a book with a moral storyline I read The Housekeeper
Loved it

5/8 completed

message 48: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1216 comments Update!

Progress: 2/5

1) Winter (#7 - Story involving a hero)
2) Messenger (#1 - Heroic adventure)
3)
4)
5)

message 49: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1897 comments Update msg 4: 3/5
✅ Folk art - The Picture of Dorian Gray ⭐️⭐️

message 50: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1897 comments Update msg 4: 4/5
✅ Jokes - Bridget Jones's Diary ⭐️⭐️⭐️