Tompkins County Public Library Community Read discussion

Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories
This topic is about Blasphemy
Cry Cry Cry > Impressions of first story

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joyce (joyceann17) | 47 comments Mod
What are your impressions of this story? Why do you think it was put first in the collection?

Teresa (tvadakin) | 8 comments Mod
The first story was dark and you can feel the torment that narrator goes through in his experience with his cousin Junior. Junior's tale is tragic and sad, as much as the Native American history has been tragic and sad. At the end I feel there is hope, 'I was dancing for what we Indians used to be and who we might become again.' Alexie is an expert at leading his readers to the depths and still shining a little light through. This story exemplifies that.

Teresa wrote: "The first story was dark and you can feel the torment that narrator goes through in his experience with his cousin Junior. Junior's tale is tragic and sad, as much as the Native American history ha..."

I loved that last line. This story is so gut-wrenching is it made me gasp and that last line was absolutely necessary for me to keep going.

Joyce wrote: "What are your impressions of this story? Why do you think it was put first in the collection?"

Just a few thoughts .... "Cry, Cry, Cry" prepares the reader for what s/he's getting into! It is no-holds barred, unflinchingly honest, I suppose, from the author's imaginative perspective, irreverent and outrageous. It's fast, so fast - 10 years, time passes in a breath. Is Alexie "war-dancing" by writing his stories? He writes "I'm trying to explain myself to myself" and that self is Indian. I wonder.

The word "blasphemy" appears in this story when he writes about Junior's "woman" : "He reduced Jeri all the way down to the parts of her anatomy. And those parts stop being sacred when you talk blasphemy about them."

message 5: by Asia (new)

Asia (asiajane) | 1 comments (Contains spoilers.) I have been so involved with Alexie's non-fiction writing, I actually forgot that I was reading a fictional story until I got to the part where Junior commits murder. I think this speaks to Alexie's ability to create a realistic and relatable narrator. His voice is so clear.

What a heartwrenching story, though. And all too common, according to his recent memoir.

Asia wrote: "(Contains spoilers.) I have been so involved with Alexie's non-fiction writing, I actually forgot that I was reading a fictional story until I got to the part where Junior commits murder. I think t..."

I haven't yet read the memoir but hope to do that soon.