Horror Aficionados discussion

The October Country
This topic is about The October Country
Buddy Reads > October Country

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Addy | 4989 comments Terry and I will be starting this October 1st. Feel free to join if you can!

Terry | 4842 comments Tag, I'm in!

Terry | 4842 comments I read up to ch7. Very short chapters so far. Off to a strange beginning, a little like the confusion I had when starting The Library at Mt. Char, but obviously not the same shock and awe as that one, lol.

Addy | 4989 comments Cool! I'll try and get to it tonight.

Addy | 4989 comments Yes, I can see Library of Mount Char. I was a little like where is this going but then Cecy made everything better. I really like that she can enter ppl and be them including animals. I wonder if Tom will come and see her. I hope so! It's almost like this book requires you to have a rhythm. Once you're in it, the writing kind of flows off the pages.

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Yes, I can see Library of Mount Char. I was a little like where is this going but then Cecy made everything better. I really like that she can enter ppl and be them including animals. I wonder if T..."

Very well put! That rhythm did take a while to get, but it was good when I did.

Terry | 4842 comments I read up to ch10 today. Very different so far. Has a feel of childhood wonder to it. Don't laugh, but my first thought was a reminder of (view spoiler)

Addy | 4989 comments Not sure if I’ll get to this today. I’ve been distracted by the news which has been a sad event as you know:( I’ll get back to it tomm.

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Not sure if I’ll get to this today. I’ve been distracted by the news which has been a sad event as you know:( I’ll get back to it tomm."

No worries! Definitely a sad situation.

message 10: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Pg60 that top paragraph was one sentence! I think it was about leaves right?...lol.

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Pg60 that top paragraph was one sentence! I think it was about leaves right?...lol."

Some of those descriptions can get long and hard to follow, lol. I think that's what it was about.

message 12: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments You are right about the movie. It does seem like that.

message 13: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I only made it to ch11 yesterday. I’ll see how far I can get today. Still trying to finish Thinner.

message 14: by Terry (last edited Oct 04, 2017 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "I only made it to ch11 yesterday. I’ll see how far I can get today. Still trying to finish Thinner."

Sounds good. I didn't read any of this one yesterday and am still at ch10. I focused on finishing Thinner, too. It was good!

message 15: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. I’ve reached ch13. Ch12 wasn’t that bad but I’m really having to stretch my imagination. However, when I began this book I thought it was a novel but it’s starting to seem like these are all separate stories about the things that came to the house. Is that what ur getting?

Terry | 4842 comments With the crazy days the past few days, I haven't made any progress on this one (or anything else), so I'm still sitting on ch10. I should be able to read some today, though.

message 17: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Np. Whenever u can get to it. I’ll sit at ch13 for now and read something else. Need to finish Ice Limit and my audiobook.

Terry | 4842 comments I read up to ch13 over my lunch. I actually liked ch12 a lot, more than what we've read up to now. You are right that this is a group of short stories. I giggled it and found that it was several stories that he wrote a long time ago that he then wrote a little connecting material for some of them, and then published it in 2001. So Ch12 is not related to anything that happened before, but was just a separate short story. Actually, two of the short stories in this book are in October Country also, it said.

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Oh ok. Yeah. Thanks! Makes sense now. I did enjoy the ending of ch12. I found it was very fitting.

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Oh ok. Yeah. Thanks! Makes sense now. I did enjoy the ending of ch12. I found it was very fitting."

Kinda a cool idea to think that ghosts would only exist as long as we believe in them.

Terry | 4842 comments I read up to ch18 today. Ch17 was kinda neat. I'm a little bit jealous! There are only about 60pgs or so left, so we should be able to finish pretty quick. Are you reading a paperback or ebook? The paperback I'm reading has a few illustrations that are kinda cool.

message 22: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I’m reading the paperback but I haven’t read any yet;(. What are u jeolous of? I’m jeolous that you’ve read more than me...lol.

Terry | 4842 comments Ha, lol. That chapter is about uncle Einar. Im jealous of him! 🤓

message 24: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Hmm. Now my ears are tweaked! I need to read! Hopefully when I get home.

Terry | 4842 comments Well., I don't want you to get too excited about it. I'm jealous of him just in general. Hope work is going good!

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Oh yeah! Work has been going great. Been making Halloween arts and crafts.

Terry | 4842 comments Awesome! Sounds like spooky fun!

message 28: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Not as spooky as this book...”for who are we but undead cries? Ask not for who the funeral bell tolls. It tolls for thee and me and all the ghastly terribles who nameless wander in a Marley death of chains. Do I speak the truth?”......:)

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Not as spooky as this book...”for who are we but undead cries? Ask not for who the funeral bell tolls. It tolls for thee and me and all the ghastly terribles who nameless wander in a Marley death o..."

I really liked that part too- Bradbury is good!

message 30: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I made it to ch18 last night but fell asleep. I enjoyed Uncle Einars chapter as well.

Terry | 4842 comments It's those wings! To be able to fly around like that would be so incredible!!

message 32: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Yes, it would! Is he a vampire then? He must be I suppose.

Terry | 4842 comments I'm not sure what he's supposed to be because it talks about him flying during the day. I had thought that at first, too. I do believe Timothy's dad is a vampire, though. His mom, I can't tell what she is either. Maybe just a ghost? It's hard to tell with most of them, lol.

message 34: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I agree with you there. It’s very hard to tell but fun to guess:)

message 35: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I’ve stopped at ch21. I’ll finish tomorrow for sure.

Terry | 4842 comments Sounds good. I stopped at ch21 this morning. I'll finish tomorrow, too.

message 37: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments (view spoiler)

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I thought the same thing about the traveler. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Terry (last edited Oct 08, 2017 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4842 comments I just got finished! I liked it. Again, I thought it had a feeling of childhood wonder to it that I liked.

message 40: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I was planning on reading this at work, but I had 13 kids today. I may try to finish tomm instead. I’m pretty tired. Im glad u enjoyed it!

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "I was planning on reading this at work, but I had 13 kids today. I may try to finish tomm instead. I’m pretty tired. Im glad u enjoyed it!"

Wow, I'm not surprised your exhausted after that! Have a good night and relax! 😴😴

message 42: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I finished this, but I’m not sure if I liked it all that much. The stories were whimsical. It was more poetic and ambiguous and I think I need to be in a mindset to really enjoy this. Beautiful writing but I just don’t think I was in the mood. I’m glad I read it so don’t get me wrong. I’ve had this book forever! What are u going to rate it?

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "I finished this, but I’m not sure if I liked it all that much. The stories were whimsical. It was more poetic and ambiguous and I think I need to be in a mindset to really enjoy this. Beautiful wri..."

I ended up going with 4 stars. I think that it felt to me like stories from my childhood, even though I didn't know them (if that makes any sense, lol). I think I must have been in the mood for the whimsical, or the fantastical to work for me. I enjoyed reading the author's note at the end also about how these stories and characters were based on his own family from memories from when he was a child.

message 44: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Yes, I read that part as well. I think a 4 star rating is good. It was not what I expected...lol. But I did enjoy it:)

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "Yes, I read that part as well. I think a 4 star rating is good. It was not what I expected...lol. But I did enjoy it:)"

I totally agree. Not what I expected, but I enjoyed. Good for this season.

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments When do u want to start October Country?

Terry | 4842 comments Oh, I could do it any time. What are you thinking? Dark Harvest isn't going to take long at all. My copy is 170pgs, and not a whole of text on the page. I bet we're done with it in 3 or 4 days, possibly.

message 48: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments How bout Wednesday? I’ll change the title for this thread. I want to try and finish another book that I’m almost done with.

Terry | 4842 comments Addy wrote: "How bout Wednesday? I’ll change the title for this thread. I want to try and finish another book that I’m almost done with."

Sounds good to me! :)

message 50: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments 2 stories is about 50 pages. I think some are longer than others but I think I can do 2 stories a day. That sound good?

« previous 1 3 4