Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

October - HALLOWEEN > Discussion: Halloween

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Sep 29, 2017 01:13AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Let's talk!

1. Do you like Halloween? How do you celebrate it?
I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually really don't like Halloween. I have never seen a horror movie in my life (and I am constantly hiding posts about the new IT movie on my Facebook timeline). I kind of don't see the fun about it? The costume parties do sound fun, but I'll gladly skip all the spiderwebs and corpses. :D

2. Does your country do anything special for the holiday?
Halloween's not really a big deal in Belgium, not like the USA anyway. Some will invite friends over for a horror movie, and there are organised walks where they jump at you with chainsaws. We provide a bowl with candy for any stray trick-or-treaters, but we usually end up eating the entire thing ourselves.

3. What are your favourite scary books?
I'm better at reading scary things than I am at watching them, and fantasy is my favourite genre. I really enjoyed The Suffering, and I will always recommend Croak and Cracked.

4. If you were to go to a costume party, what would you dress up as?
I would LOVE to dress up as the Mad Hatter one day. Or a Disney princess. Or Luna Lovegood. Or a Lord of the Rings elf. Or a mermaid. Or the Doctor. Or... I mean, there are SO many ideas.

These are just a few questions to get us started. I'm probably the worst person to lead a discussion about Halloween, so feel free to take over and add topics of your own!

message 2: by Geraard (new)

Geraard Van Heusden | 21 comments I love Halloween and the horormovies. My contry doesn't realy do something special
and I I feast Samhaim

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I'm an absolute Halloween-fan, even though I'm not a horror-movie fan (I find them either ridiculously fake, or too intense. It seems there's no sweet spot in between for me.)

I guess what I like about Halloween is more the dark-romantic imagery (I've always liked vampires, even before they became 'in', and as a Tim Burton fan I'm also a sucker for everything about A Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride.

I love dressing up in costumes and try to squeeze in as many Halloween parties I can each year. Which reminds me, with october on the calendar now I really should start working on my costume-idea for this year, which will be a bat.

message 4: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments I don't like Halloween either. I kind of hated it.
Halloween arrived in Italy maybe like 5 years ago. There wasn't Halloween parties and trick or treat when I was a kid.

But I really don't like Halloween. I really hate clowns *like on a scale from Dean to Sam Winchester. I am Sam Winchester* I hate horror movies. I stop watching horror since a few years now and I am less paranoid. Less.
I love zombies. That's the only horror movies that I can watch and maybe Scream. Yeah, just regular guys who going around stab people. I am okay with that but I hate everything paranormal. And I hate be afraid. I mean I am afraid of things 365 days a year I don't understand why feed my fears.

So goodbye horror movies. Hello, a bit of sanity.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) I have always loved Halloween but it sort of treads a fine line for me since my grandmother passed away on Halloween when I was little. However, in typical style for my family, my mother hosts a huge Halloween party every year in her honor because my grandmother loved a good party.

I love a good thriller book but as far as Halloween styled books, the paranormal chick-lit style books are always fun. I cannot watch horror movies so that is basically as close as I can get to that kind of thing. They aren't really scary but they are interesting and keep me engaged.

I've already picked out my Halloween costume for this year, the goal being to be both embarrassing to my family and as comfortable as possible.

Flying squirrel!

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Kim wrote: "I guess what I like about Halloween is more the dark-romantic imagery (I've always liked vampires, even before they became 'in', and as a Tim Burton fan I'm also a sucker for everything about A Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride."

I do like me some Tim Burton!

Alessandra wrote: "And I hate be afraid. I mean I am afraid of things 365 days a year I don't understand why feed my fears."

This is kind of my go-to reason as well.

Brittain *The Baddest Female* wrote: "I've already picked out my Halloween costume for this year, the goal being to be both embarrassing to my family and as comfortable as possible."

Hahahahahaha

message 7: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments We celebrate Halloween rather strangely where I live - on the 30th instead of the 31st! I still trick-or-treat (though instead of candy, I ask for items for the local food pantry) because it's just SO fun to dress up. I have a few costumes that are my pride and joy, all Medieval warrior or princess dresses. I don't get quite as into Halloween as some people do, but it's an enjoyable holiday.

In terms of horror literature, I'm not really a fan. I like things that creep me out without scaring me, and that's a hard balance to strike. A series I've found that in is one of my very favorites, the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Middle-grade supernatural, like the Lockwood & Co. or Barnaby Grimes series, are also favorites of mine.

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I watched Hotel Transylvania 2 yesterday. Wasn't anything amazing, but now I can tell people I've watched a Halloween movie hahaha

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Alicia wrote: "I love Tim Burton! Most of my favorite movies were directed by him, including Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow. (Though that could also be because of Johnny Depp. xD)"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anna (RattleTheShelves) | 16 comments I originally come from Poland, so we have pretty complicated relations with Halloween - it's basically only a students' thing, and the politicians are doing their best to prove that it's a cult of Satan and we'll all burn in hell if we celebrate it. Naturally, it means that it's just getting more popular. Also, we celebrate All Saints' Eve on the 1st of November, when you go light up candles on the graves of your relatives. It's a pretty nice tradition.

I've always had small fancy dress parties with my friends, and then bigger fancy dress parties when I was a student in England, but I'd never went trick-or-treating until last year, when I was an au pair in Italy. It was a bit different, as kids went from a shop to a shop instead of from door to door, but it was really cool, as everyone in our little town was dressed up and the streets were full.

I'm supposed to go to another fancy dress party this year with my coursemates, but I've still no idea what will I dress up as...

I'm quite hard to scare, so I usually find "scary" films and books boring, but of course I love Tim Burton, and I loved Croak trilogy, though I'm not sure if I'd call it scary. I've recently finished The Scorpio Races and it had all the autumny/Halloweenish feels, and I'm planning to try to squeeze in The Diviners as well. Apart from that, my favourite read this time of year is Harry Potter <3

message 11: by Casual (new)

Casual Reader | 11 comments 1. Do you like Halloween? How do you celebrate it?

I don't really have an opinion on Halloween itself. I suppose it can be a fun tradition if you grew up with it. What I don't like is how in countries like mine where there is no Halloween tradition at all, the stores try to push this concept on to us and use it's commercial value.

2. Does your country do anything special for the holiday?

Not really. Especially not compared to the united states. The last few years some kind of 'family walk events' for families with little children.

3. What are your favourite scary books?

Would you believe me if I said I didn't have any? I loved reading horror/creepy books when I was a child. I hardly read anything else. But when I grew up I seemed to stop finding books I actually liked. I tried reading Koontz and King but often I found there books rather cruel than scary. I do however enjoy watching horror films! I often find them refreshing compared to regular films because they dare to explore terrain that hasn't been walked over a 1000 times before.

4. If you were to go to a costume party, what would you dress up as?

Dressing up myself isn't really my thing, I do however like to be awed by other people's costumes! :D