What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books where female lead is extremely shy or suffers social anxiety

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penny (new)

Penny (syfygirl21) | 33 comments Hi

I am after any romance or YA books where the main female character is either extremely shy or suffers social anxiety or both. But I don't mind reading other kinds of books that have this also.

I just read How to Disappear by Susan Huss Roat which I loved even though it made me cry for most of it.

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Trust by Jana Aston (bk4)
Might be one of my fav anx h reads

Dark Wild Night by Christina Lauren (bk3... I couldn't finish this one, the h with anx annoyed the bejeebies out of me for some reason)

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 390 comments With Every Letter, by Sarah Sundin. Shyness.

My Foolish Heart, by Susan May Warren. Agoraphobia (or PTSD?)--anyway, she's afraid to leave her house. Fourth in series, but reads fine as a stand-alone.

Both are Christian fiction, FYI.

Fanny Price in Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen, is rather shy.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1056 comments Kilmeny of the Orchard, by L.M. Montgomery Kilmeny of the Orchard

message 8: by bookel (last edited Oct 01, 2017 08:46PM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments THE SHY ONES by Lynn Hall.
Shy, unhappy fifteen-year-old Robin rescued an injured golden retriever and worked to help the dog overcome its timidity. She must overcome her own shyness when training Kate for the show ring.

My Friend Natalie (Original title: The Barkley Street Six-Pack) by Mary Francis Shura (1979). Shy, plain Jane is delighted with her new best friend, but this association costs her the friendship of all the other kids on Barkley Street.

The Josie Gambit by Mary Francis Shura (1986). Shy, twelve-year-old, chess-loving Greg is apprehensive about spending six months with his grandmother in Pineville, Illinois, but his relationship with the outgoing Nolan family involves him in some real life chess moves with a troubled girl that open him up to loyalty and friendship with people who really count.

Some Kind of Friend by Mary Francis Shura (1992). Shy, plain Jane is delighted with her new best friend, Natalie, who has magical power, even though this friendship costs her the friendship of all the other kids on Barkley Street. One day Natalie moves and Jane finds a four-legged friend.

Searching for Shona by Margaret J Anderson (1980). During the evacuation of children from Edinburgh in the early days of World War II, shy, weathy Marjorie on her way to relatives in Canada trades places and identities with the orphaned Shona bound for the Scottish countryside.

The Shy One by Dorothy Nathan (1966). Dorothy doesn't know how she can stand it. Her fourteen-year-old Uncle Max has been put into her own fifth-grade classroom! Dorothy knows she should be nice to him - he's just come from Russia and doesn't know English. But she's never been so ashamed! Oh, why does it have to happen to her - just when she's beginning to make friends?

Stand in the wind by Jean Little (1975). The place is a beach cottage in summer. The people are two sets of sisters who have never met before:
Martha Winston: Friendly, and a little fat. Fearless (except for bats). Casual. A practical joker. Funny sometimes. She likes to take charge. Resourceful. Romantic. A good person to have on your side. Ellen Winston: For an older sister, not bad. Easygoing, in fact. Competent at most things; but just don't try her cooking! A peace maker. Goodhearted. Knows how to think up a really truly great surprise. Christine (Kit) Swann: Quiet and shy--no wonder, with a mother who says things like "Oh, you poor, poor baby!" and a know-it-all sister like Rosemary Swann. A scaredy cat, but smart. Open to suggestions. And she learns fast. Rosemary Swann: Cool and smooth. Acts like the whole world owes her something. Rude to others, mean to Kit. Then why did Kit stick up for her? Martha and Ellen and Rosemary and Kit. They learn a lot about each other and new things about themselves. And they find that sisters who are sisters can be sisters who are friends.

Call Me Moose by Molly Cone (1978). A shy, bookish young girl's decision to live up to her nickname exasperates and astonishes her family and friends.

message 9: by **Vee** (new)

**Vee** (veeme) | 3 comments Breathe Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley It is part of a series but can be read as a stand alone :)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments Maybe the Geek Girl series by Holly Smales? The first book is Geek Girl

message 11: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Beach House for Rent - fourth in a series but works as a standalone

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 16: by Ann (last edited Dec 29, 2020 11:58AM) (new)

Ann | 525 comments Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1056 comments The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danziger The Cat Ate My Gymsuit

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Eileen

message 19: by starrynight17 (new)

starrynight17 | 57 comments The Problem With Forever
(teen romance book. girl grew up in an abusive foster home with a boy, they get "adopted" separately, she meets boy again years later at school...)

message 21: by Ann (last edited Jul 30, 2021 03:27PM) (new)

Ann | 525 comments The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang (the heroine
is autistic which causes her to have social anxiety).