Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

October - HALLOWEEN > Review time

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
This spot is where you can post your reviews after you're done with the books. Please add the title of the book you've reviewed in the post.

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished Vicious and my review is here

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished See What I Have Done, a fictional reconstruction of the Lizzie Borden case (in which she supposedly killed her father and step-mother with an axe). It was a bloody and gripping read and you can read my review of it here.

message 5: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "I finished See What I Have Done, a fictional reconstruction of the Lizzie Borden case (in which she supposedly killed her father and step-mother with an axe). It was a bloody and gr..."

that sounds interesting! I added it to my tbr pile

message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "Puck wrote: "I finished See What I Have Done, a fictional reconstruction of the Lizzie Borden case (in which she supposedly killed her father and step-mother with an axe). It was a ..."

That's great, I hope you'll like it Lucie! :)

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Oct 12, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
My second Halloween-read was Heart-Shaped Box, a book about a murderous ghost haunting an old rock-star and his girlfriend. Although the story was a bit predictable, the ghost definitely freaked me out and you can read my review here.

message 8: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Someone wrote that Dark Matter fits into this theme too, so I finally picked the book
a big disappointment for me

my thoughts

message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
My third Halloween-read was a horror classic: Rosemary's Baby! Probably everyone knows what the story is about, but still this short book was more scary than I expected, so I gave it 4 stars :)

You can read my review here.

message 10: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead My first spooky read is done. My review of The Invisible Man is here

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (edylin) | 13 comments I just finished The Woman in Black, a good ghost story for who doesn't want a super scary read. The story is tipical Victorian , the atmosphere is absolutley British. In short an entertaining read for those dark winter evenings.

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
My reading-month is going really good so far, because my other Bookclub decided to pick Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children as our October-read. Here you can read my short review of this freaky book.

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I don't think I'll be finishing Godsgrave by the end of the month, but I am adding two reviews:

This Mortal Coil, about a deadly virus that brings the human race to its knees. Not a zombie book, but quite reminiscent. I gave it 4.5 stars, and you can find my review here.

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, an East Asian retelling of the Evil Queen's origin story. I gave it 3.5 stars and you can find my review here.

message 14: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've just finished Croak, and here is my review. I really enjoyed it!

message 15: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Oh my god. I really hope you will find A Skinful of Shadows more appealing than I did. Almost DFN and definitely a two stars book for me!

message 16: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Just finished Stalking Jack the Ripper and overall enjoyed it. I gave it 4/5 stars. The first half took me awhile but the second half I finished quickly. You can find my review here.

Rachael (RedRchlReads) (redrchlreads) I just joined the group, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I finished The Hazel Wood the other day. It comes out in January, but it's definitely a good October/Halloween read. I need to finish my review still, but I gave it 5 stars and highly recommend it!

message 18: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Rachael (RedRchlReads) wrote: "I just joined the group, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I finished The Hazel Wood the other day. It comes out in January, but it's definitely a good October/Halloween read. I ne..."

I have an ARC of that one...Can't wait to read it here soon!

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Rachael (RedRchlReads) wrote: "I just joined the group, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I finished The Hazel Wood the other day. It comes out in January, but it's definitely a good October/Halloween read. I ne..."

Yep, you're all good, Rachel! Welcome to the group :D

message 20: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
My last Halloween-y books! :D
- The Long Walk, a dystopian thriller about a messed-up race written by the great Stephen King: here you can read my review.
- HEX: the book that terrified me the most this month! Almost worth 5 stars, you can read my review of it here.

message 21: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I actually managed to slay the beast that is Godsgrave! I didn't really write a review, but I rated it 3 stars. Still an incredible story, but I found it really dense and not as enjoyable as Nevernight. Still, I think it will make a lot of fans happy.

message 22: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) so i wanted to read Dracula but i DNFed. here is my shrot explanation why

message 23: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

So I finished Daughter of the Pirate King and I really enjoyed it! 4/5 stars for this great Pirate story. Was a good fun read for Halloween and I recommend it to anyone that wants a swashbuckling good read. Check out my review here.

message 24: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I read Vittorio, The Vampire by Anne Rice (3/5), The Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki (4/5), and The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer (EVERY SINGLE STAR, AHHHH.) Click here to read all three reviews!

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Finally finished The Stand and felt very disappointed afterwards... I really enjoyed most of this book but hated the ending.

You can see the full review here