Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

October - HALLOWEEN > Spooky recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
We're going to need some scary book recommendations from you! Or maybe help find the chickens among us (don't worry, I'm one of you, cluck cluck cluck) some books that will fit the bill.

My recs:
- Daughter of the Burning City
- The Girl from the Well
- Shadowland
- The Vampire's Assistant
- The Forbidden Game
- Croak

message 2: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Some more recommendations from us at Of Wonderland: http://ofwonderland.com/2017/10/01/wo...

WhatIReallyRead For a very Halloween-y atmosphere I recommend:
- Labyrinth Lost (look at that cover OMG!!!)
- Frankenstein (a classic for the theme)
- Roses and Rot (this is a dark fairytale - nothing gory or too scary)

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments I'm a big fan of horror, having discovered Stephen King at a young age. Here's a few I've really enjoyed:
Outpost - zombies, but original
14 - haunted house style book with a twist.
Anna Dressed in Blood
The Deep - supernatural. Also The Troop by the same author.
Let the Right One In
The Haunting of Hill House - it's a classic.
Dark Matter
The Pilo Family Circus
The Historian - a bit more dense than the other books but well worth it if you're a vampire fan
Dracula

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I second Frankenstein and The Haunting of Hill House: both are good Halloween-y classics. I'm also not a big fan of horror, but the following books had a good creepy atmosphere and/tell a dark story perfect for October:

1. We Have Always Lived in the Castle (from the same author as "The Haunting of Hill House")
2. The Butcher's Hook
3. The Call
4. A Monster Calls (warning: this book may break your heart!)
5. Horns
6. The Ocean at the End of the Lane & Anansi Boys
7. The Kind Worth Killing (a nail-biting thriller)

message 6: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Angela wrote: "I'm a big fan of horror, having discovered Stephen King at a young age. Here's a few I've really enjoyed:
14 - haunted house style bo..."

I am currently reading Dark Matter!

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments Puck wrote: "I second Frankenstein and The Haunting of Hill House: both are good Halloween-y classics. I'm also not a big fan of horror, but the following books had a good creepy atm..."

A Monster Calls - that book made me cry!

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments lucie wrote: "Angela wrote: "I'm a big fan of horror, having discovered Stephen King at a young age. Here's a few I've really enjoyed:
14 - haunted..."

Are you enjoying it? We did it in book club last year and we were all surprised by how much we enjoyed it.

message 9: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Angela wrote: "lucie wrote: "Angela wrote: "I'm a big fan of horror, having discovered Stephen King at a young age. Here's a few I've really enjoyed:
[book:14|15062..."

Not much, to be honest. I am only around 100 pages in though. I hope it gets better

message 10: by Shay (last edited Oct 04, 2017 11:23AM) (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
This is my horror shelf.

Anything gothic is perfect for this time of year. The Woman in Black, Dracula, Rebecca, The Thirteenth Tale

Can't go wrong with anything by Stephen King or his son Joe Hill.NOS4A2, Heart-Shaped Box,The Shining,It ,Carrie,Pet Sematary