Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

October - HALLOWEEN > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Hello, and welcome to a brand new month of our precious little book club!

October's theme is a total shocker... not.

HALLOWEEN won with a vast majority! I mean, no surprise there. The first of September came along and suddenly everyone was breaking out the pumpkins and spider webs. So revel in this theme and go all out!

Don't read horror stories? As always, you can pull and stretch this theme as far as you want. Serial killer clowns or a high school having a Halloween party? If you’re a bit of a chicken like me, take a look at some (paranormal) fantasy books and see if anything takes your fancy. Mythical creatures could do the trick too.

I’ll only be reading one book for this month’s theme, but I’m expecting it to be a good one. My planned read is Godsgrave, the sequel to Nevernight. #stabstabstab

What will you be reading?

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I think I forgot to vote on this month's poll, but Halloween works for me :D I'm finally starting to feel a little autumn-y and I plan to break out my fall decorations this weekend!

I'll try to stick to the core of the theme this time and read another Stephen King novel! Doesn't get more scary than that and it's been years since I last read one of his books.

We're also doing an Austen re-read with friends here on GoodReads so I think reading Sense and Sensibility in combination with Stephen King should be interesting :p

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Sep 29, 2017 12:23PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Oh yes baby, let's get spooky! *"This is Halloween" starts playing in the background*

Haha, I love this theme: last year I joined the #Spookathon, so this year I decided to again read only spooky books and creepy thrillers. Which is funny considering I hate horror movies....but it's fun to push myself to read books that are out-of-my-comfortzone :)

So for this month, I'm planning to read the following books:
1. See What I Have Done
2. Heart-Shaped Box
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. The Taxidermist's Daughter
5. A Skinful of Shadows

So yeah, I can't wait to get started! :D

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I started to read Vicious and it's kind of morbid. Then I would like to read Cujo which i bought 3 years ago and still haven't read and Scythe

message 5: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I didn't think I'd have any books for this month, but I found some! I'll be reading Pandora and/or Vittorio the Vampire, both by Anne Rice.

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I started to read Vicious and it's kind of morbid. Then I would like to read Cujo which i bought 3 years ago and still haven't read and Scythe"

I loooved Vicious and Scythe, you'll have a great time reading those!

Cathy wrote: "We're also doing an Austen re-read with friends here on GoodReads so I think reading Sense and Sensibility in combination with Stephen King should be interesting :p "

Someone should write that book haha!

message 7: by Figgy (last edited Oct 01, 2017 02:41AM) (new)

Figgy (figgyoconnell) | 9 comments Hiya! Sorry, I've been super lame about being involved in discussions and such, but I'm here now!!!

For the Halloween theme, I'm looking at getting through:

Devil's Day
Sleeping Beauties
Future Home of the Living God (not 100% sure this one counts...)

I tend to be somewhat limited to books I have for review and coming out soon, and work my way back to slightly less recent copies I was unable to get to.

So if I have time, I wouldn't mind getting to Stallo, too, but it's decently chunky, and Sleeping Beauties is 700 pages.

message 8: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "I loooved Vicious and Scythe, you'll have a great time reading those!"

i was reading till 4 am tonight/today!!! i have only 80 pages left now

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments For this theme, I'll start The Stand as it was already first in line on my Horror shelve. Then, if there's any October left, I'll probably read Anna Dressed in Blood because of the recommendations, it is the one that appeals to me the most.

message 10: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite I’m going to reread The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer to prepare for the new book! And I need to continue with Miss Peregrine’s. I also hope to read any other spooky books I have on my shelves!

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 366 comments I'm definitely going to be reading spooky stuff this month! In particular The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and Murder on the Orient Express

message 12: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Uhm.. I think that the only book that can stick with this theme in my TBR (except series) is A skinful of shadows

message 13: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I'm definitely reading Croak. Maybe something else as well, not sure for now.

message 14: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Alessandra wrote: "Uhm.. I think that the only book that can stick with this theme in my TBR (except series) is A skinful of shadows"

I will be reading that book too, Alessandra! I think it's perfect for this month, so hopefully we both will enjoy it ^^

message 15: by Angela (last edited Oct 03, 2017 07:10AM) (new)

Angela | 40 comments I'm thinking of reading The Exorcist as my halloween read. Last year it was Anna Dressed in Blood and that was a good halloween book which I would recommend if anyone is stuck for one.
I'm also going to raid the library sheleves and grab some Point Horrors and Christopher Pike's. Been a few months now since I did a childhood reread

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments Kim wrote: "For this theme, I'll start The Stand as it was already first in line on my Horror shelve. Then, if there's any October left, I'll probably read Anna Dressed in Blood be..."

Excellent choice with the Stephen King, I think that's one of his best (alongside IT, and 11.22.63).

message 17: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Angela wrote: "Excellent choice with the Stephen King, I think that's one of his best (alongside IT, and 11.22.63)."

I ordered 11.22.63 as a Christmas present for my dad ^_^

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments Inge wrote: "Angela wrote: "Excellent choice with the Stephen King, I think that's one of his best (alongside IT, and 11.22.63)."

I ordered 11.22.63 as a Christmas present for my dad ^_^"

It's such a good book. Not a horror though, must point that out, but possibly the best book about time travel I've come across. The TV series is rather good as well.

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Angela wrote: "Inge wrote: "Angela wrote: "Excellent choice with the Stephen King, I think that's one of his best (alongside IT, and 11.22.63)."

I ordered 11.22.63 as a Christmas present for my dad ^_^"

It's su..."

No, my dad's not into horror. He came from books by John Grisham and Dan Brown, but has been disappointed by their latest releases. He seems to be enjoying King's Mr Mercedes trilogy, so I bought this one and Finders Keepers. :)

message 20: by Figgy (new)

Figgy (figgyoconnell) | 9 comments Puck wrote: "Alessandra wrote: "Uhm.. I think that the only book that can stick with this theme in my TBR (except series) is A skinful of shadows"

I will be reading that book too, Alessandra! I think it's perf..."

Ooh, yes, me three! I didn't even think of this one. Thanks for the heads up!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

i Think the excorcist is a very good and strange scaring book

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments Inge, I just discovered that Mr. Mercedes is now a series on netflix. It's only on the American one for now though unfortunately.

message 23: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Thanks for letting me know!

message 24: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I am a horror/Halloween nut. I love this time of year. I am planning on reading The Ritual, Penpal. I have so many other books started and then put down for something else.

Those books would be
The Halloween Tree
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Lord of the Flies
Ghost Story

message 25: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 366 comments WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'm definitely reading Croak. Maybe something else as well, not sure for now."

Fantastic choice, I love that book!

message 26: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Alicia wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'm definitely reading Croak. Maybe something else as well, not sure for now."

Fantastic choice, I love that book!"

I ag..."

This makes me so happy. I will never stop recommending this series. :D

message 27: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I think I might read Stalking Jack the Ripper, figured this might work for the Halloween read as it has to do with serial murders. I also just got Daughter of the Pirate King and always wanted to be a pirate for halloween, so that might work a little too (Arrrrgh mateys)
I also would really like to read/listen to Anna Dressed in Blood if I have the time!

message 28: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (edylin) | 13 comments ok, I have decided what to read, The woman in black by Susan Hill, an old fashioned Victorian ghost story. Excited!

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments Okay so I went to the library to get a book I had waiting The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters and as I walked in I saw Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan so of course I picked them up. I have no self control. LOL.

message 30: by Stien (new)

Stien I actually don't read a lot of horror/Halloween books, even though I love Halloween and horror movies.
But this month, I will be reading Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy. I've already read 4 short stories and I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 31: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Stien wrote: "I actually don't read a lot of horror/Halloween books, even though I love Halloween and horror movies.
But this month, I will be reading [book:Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy|314..."

Oh, I'm really interested in that one, so I hope it's a homerun!

message 32: by Cathy (new)

Cathy The Stand is also high on my Stephen King to-read list! It's just such a colossal book that I'm going to need to choose a good time to start it haha. 11.22.63 was indeed so great, I keep meaning to look for the tv series too!

message 33: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 366 comments Guys I just listened to the Legend of Sleepy Hollow audiobook this morning and it did not disappoint, it's only an hour long!

message 34: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite I haven’t read anything I’ve planned yet, but I’m rereading the Twilight series. Vampires are very spooky and it fits well with this time of year. If only it were constantly raining! Hahaha

message 35: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 366 comments Started reading A Madness So Discreet today and I'm hooked.

message 36: by Figgy (new)

Figgy (figgyoconnell) | 9 comments I’m reading The Silent Companions for several tasks at once, and was going to go on to one of the others I listed earlier, but then La Belle Sauvage turned up and I don’t know if it counts... probably not.

Also, my phone just correcte “Sauvage” to “Sausage”.

message 37: by Angela (new)

Angela | 40 comments I've finally gotten round to reading NOS4A2. Nice little horror which also combines Christmas. Have started the audio of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well as I love old sci-fi.

message 38: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Maggie wrote: "I haven’t read anything I’ve planned yet, but I’m rereading the Twilight series. Vampires are very spooky and it fits well with this time of year. If only it were constantly raining! Hahaha"

Ohh, how are you enjoying your reread?

Figgy wrote: "I’m reading The Silent Companions for several tasks at once, and was going to go on to one of the others I listed earlier, but then La Belle Sauvage turned up and I ..."

I would read a book about a beautiful sausage.

message 39: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 366 comments Angela wrote: "I've finally gotten round to reading NOS4A2. Nice little horror which also combines Christmas. Have started the audio of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well as I lo..."

I LOVE NOS4A2. Kate Mulgrew reads the audiobook and she's fantastic.

message 40: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've started book 2 of the Croak series: Scorch
Not sure if I'll be able to finish by the end of the month tho

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Kim wrote: "For this theme, I'll start The Stand as it was already first in line on my Horror shelve. Then, if there's any October left, I'll probably read Anna Dressed in Blood be..."

I guess Anna Dressed in Blood is not going to make it, as I'm only at 28% in The Stand (that book is huge!).
I must say, reading a book about a killer flu strain while suffering from a serious cold, is not the best combination. Hard enough sleeping with a clogged up nose and sore throat as it is, now I'm also waking up at night with the thought I'm dying from that highly contagious horror-disease... It does add to the impact the book has on me, though :p

message 42: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Kim wrote: "Kim wrote: "For this theme, I'll start The Stand as it was already first in line on my Horror shelve. Then, if there's any October left, I'll probably read [book:Anna Dressed in Blood..."

Hahaha that does sound a bit too close! Take care of yourself, Kim!

message 43: by Cathy (new)

Cathy So I didn't really get to participate again this month, because I didn't read a Stephen King book as planned (I also didn't read the Jane Austen I was supposed to, so failure all around). I think I only finished like 2 books in the entire month, because life has been kicking my ass a little lately.

However, I did start The Girl with all the Gifts last weekend and that is kind of fitting for Halloween, given the subject matter. Here's to hoping November will see some changes in the chaos that currently is my life.

message 44: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "So I didn't really get to participate again this month, because I didn't read a Stephen King book as planned (I also didn't read the Jane Austen I was supposed to, so failure all around). I think I..."

Sending some positive vibes your way Cathy!
I feel ya, I only was able to read 3 books this last month because dang life got in the way but it will get better :)