The Novelholics Pub discussion

MONTHLY CHALLENGES > 2017 November-Thanksgiving Challenge

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

November is arriving and so is Thanksgiving.

We have so much to thank for and so, for our first challenge, we made a list of all the things that we are thankful toward.

This contest will run from November 1, 2017 to November 30, 2017. Winners will be announced on December 1,2017 and will be contacted for their prizes accordingly.

Because this is our first monthly challenge and we aren't sure about the number of responses we will receive, this is a solo participant challenge. You are welcome to invite your friends for the same in order to increase the competition and the member number.

The aim of this challenge is to read books that fit the given descriptions. You can use one description as many times as you want. (Any edition works as long as you notify us of the same.)

A- Animals: Read a book in which a character has a pet animal. (e.g. Charlotte's Web )
B- Best Friends: Read a book in which friendship is one of the great elements of it (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
C-Cars: Read a book with a car in the cover/title. (e.g. How My Summer Went Up in Flames)
D-Dinner: Read a book with an eatable item on the cover (e.g. Twilight)
E-Energy: Read a book with a person walking or running on the cover (e.g. The Rules for Disappearing )
F-Family: Read a book in which family has a strong role in shaping the character's future or present (e.g. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
G-Grandparents: Read a book in which the main character lives with his/her grandparents ( e.g. The Sky Is Everywhere)
H- Home: Read a book in which the word home in the title (e.g. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children )
I- Ice Cream: Read a book with an ice cream on the cover (e.g. The Summer of Firsts and Lasts )
J-Jokes: Read a book tagged in humor (e.g. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
K-Kites: Read a book with the word kite in the title (e.g. The Kite Runner)
L-Love: Read a romantic book (e.g. The Last Song )
M- Mother: Read a book that highlighted a mother-daughter relation. (e.g. One Crazy Summer)
N-Nature: Read a book with trees on the cover (e.g. To Kill a Mockingbird )
O-Opportunity: Read a non-fiction book (e.g. Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges)
P-People: Read a book that someone recommended you
Q-Quotes: Read a book that contains your favorite quote.
R-Reading: Read any book.
S-Songs: Read a book in which music holds an important role (e.g. If I Stay )
T-Treats: Read a book that someone gifted you.
U-Unicorns: Read a fantasy book (e.g. The Fellowship of the Ring)
V-Vacation: Read a book in which the main character goes on a vacation (e.g. Message in a Bottle)
W-Wishes: Read a book with the word 'wish' in the title (e.g. Wishful Thinking)
X-Xmas: Read a book about Christmas (e.g. A Christmas Carol)
Y-Youth: Read a YA book (e.g. Gone Girl)
Z-Zoo: *WILDCARD* Read any book.

RULES:

1. Books must be at least a 100 pages in length, 150 pages for middle grade books, and 300 pages for poetry books/books written in verse. (Poetry books will only be worth a third of the points.)

2. Buddy reads will count for points only as long as they are taking place in our group.

3. Books started before November can be used but you must only claim points for the number of pages that you've read in November.

4. Re-reads are allowed as long as it is at least a year since you last read the book, and you write a new review/status updates with new details.

5. You must give a fully detailed review after you've read the book or give at least 4 detailed status updates for the book to count. For re-reads, the review must either be new or have more details than the last time so that we know that you've read it.

Our regular challenge rules can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

A review thread will be opened for you to post the links to your reviews in by the 27th. Please post it in this format:

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Letter: G - Grandparents
Description: Read a book in which the main character lives with his/her grandparents
Page Count:
Review Link/Status Updates:
Buddy Read Link:

-100-199 pages=1 point;
-200-299 pages=2 points;
-300-399 pages=3 points;
-400-499 pages=4 points;
-500-599 pages=5 points;
-600-699 pages=6 points;
-700 pages+ =7 points
(Maximum of 7 points per book)

-Buddy reads double your points, so a 200 page book would give you 2*2=4 points.

-Group Buddy Reads triple your points, so a 200 page book which you will read as a GBR will give you 2*3=6 points.

NOTE: You must make a minimum of 4 comments discussing the book for the Buddy reads to count.

Another note, you cannot buddy read a book while group buddy reading it. Only one of the thread works at that time.

Comment below if you're interested in joining.

Lastly, have fun!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 06, 2017 05:47AM) (new)

Participants:
1. Ritika
2. toogoodtobeyou
3. Fuzaila
4. Dalziel
5. Vivi
6. Naman
7. Pratik
8. Rae
9. Chinmay
10. Alaina
11. Wolf(Alpha)

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya Amlin (mayaamlin) | 32 comments I'm in!

message 4: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) I'm in!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Both of you: accepted. :)

message 6: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) Yay! Excited already :)

message 7: by Dalziel (new)

Dalziel Mapp (dalzieldestroyedbybooksdailymapp) | 3 comments Count me in

message 8: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 3 comments Count me in! ... I'll try it out :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Great, accepted both of you. :)

message 10: by Naman (new)

Naman Count me in please.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Accepted.
(Wow! I wasn't expecting these many people also for starters. But eh, yay!)

message 12: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Purohit (pratikpurohit) i am in

message 13: by Rae (new)

Rae Lake | 49 comments Can I join!!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, yes, you can. :)

message 15: by Chinmay (new)

Chinmay Janbandhu | 3 comments I'm in! If it's still open? But wouldn't it be great to have a buddy and share your thoughts? :)

message 16: by Alaina (new)

Alaina (ameserole) I'm in :D

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Chinmay wrote: "I'm in! If it's still open? But wouldn't it be great to have a buddy and share your thoughts? :)"

You can always buddy read the books, just let me know what dates you decide upon and the books. :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

On the other hand, both of you are accepted.

message 19: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) OMG Alaina is here 😂 We are doomed 😉

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The review thread is now available here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by Alaina (new)

Alaina (ameserole) Fuzaila wrote: "OMG Alaina is here 😂 We are doomed 😉"

hahahahah yes you are. jk :D

message 22: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) Can I still join?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes yes, oh yes. :)