J.D. Robb discussion

My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1)
This topic is about My Sister's Grave
Monthly Book Discussion Library > My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Sep 29, 2017 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni is our October Book of the Month. Let's plan to begin Open Discussions Oct. 15. Feel free to join in!

Thanks for the great nomination, Linda R.! Feel free to lead the discussion. :)

Summary
Tracy Crosswhite has spent twenty years questioning the facts surrounding her sister Sarah’s disappearance and the murder trial that followed. She doesn’t believe that Edmund House — a convicted rapist and the man condemned for Sarah’s murder — is the guilty party. Motivated by the opportunity to obtain real justice, Tracy became a homicide detective with the Seattle PD and dedicated her life to tracking down killers.

When Sarah’s remains are finally discovered near their hometown in the northern Cascade mountains of Washington State, Tracy is determined to get the answers she’s been seeking. As she searches for the real killer, she unearths dark, long-kept secrets that will forever change her relationship to her past — and open the door to deadly danger.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13395 comments Mod
I’ll try to squeeze this one in.

For those with Kindle Unlimited - this book is currently free! :)

message 4: by Linda R, (last edited Sep 29, 2017 09:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda R, Jonetta wrote: "I’ll try to squeeze this one in."

It reads pretty fast, and there is some beautiful language in the flashback scenes in the beginning. I liked the personality of Tracy Crosswhite that emerges from this book. Hope everyone enjoys reading this.

Linda R, Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni is our October Book of the Month. Let's plan to begin Open Discussions Oct. 15. Feel free to join in!

Thanks for the great nominat..."

I just mentioned the book first this month but it was actually nominated in September by Wendy. I'll be happy to contribute to the discussion.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments I don't know yet if I'll re-read the book or only join the discussion. And I agree it's such a great book.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Linda R, wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni is our October Book of the Month. Let's plan to begin Open Discussions Oct. 15. Feel free to jo..."

I am so glad we are getting to read it now Linda :)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Hoping to get it soon, Overdrive doesn't have it.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Going to request from library right now.

I've started this one! :)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I'm on the waiting list and didn't realize until last night that the library will be closed tomorrow anyway because of Columbus Day (observed). Glad I changed the calendar page :-)

Started this one this afternoon...now at 80% and can't put it down! Heart racing suspense!

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Started this one this afternoon...now at 80% and can't put it down! Heart racing suspense!"

Wow! That's awesome!

Finished it! Great read! Can't wait until the 15th to discuss.

I just discovered that every book in this series is free on Kindle Unlimited. I've loaded them all up! Will definitely continue this series.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I just discovered that every book in this series is free on Kindle Unlimited. I've loaded them all up! Will definitely continue this series."

Are the short stories/novellas also part of KU? It's too bad you need a credit card to use it in Germany :-(

Do you know his David Sloane Series? I wasn't able to start it yet but got it recommended several times. From what my friends in the Thriller Group mentioned it's different from the Tracy Crosswhite series (this one is more police procedural) David Sloane series is more 'classic' legal thriller Im looking forwad to this one too.

Agnieszka wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I just discovered that every book in this series is free on Kindle Unlimited. I've loaded them all up! Will definitely continue this series."

Are the short stor..."

This was my first book by Dugoni...haven't heard of the David Sloane Series, but I'll check it out.

I didn't realize there were novellas in the Tracy Crosswhite series...something else I'll need to check on. I got each of the full-length books in the series free on KU.

Just checked and there are 2 novellas that precede My Sister's Grave. The first one is also free on KU, the second one is .99. :)

message 19: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 11, 2017 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Just checked and there are 2 novellas that precede My Sister's Grave. The first one is also free on KU, the second one is .99. :)"

The Academy is really great it's not a mystery but really fun piece of Tracy's background.

It's so strange in Germany both novellas are part of KU but the price for Third Watch is 2,99 Euro so I'm still waiting for a deal for this one - I'm not willing to pay so much for less than 50 pages - not even for such a great author's work.

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments I started this one this morning...really good so far! Not sure why (maybe because they're on KU?) but I wasn't expecting the writing to be so strong. Nice surprise!

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments can't wait to get my hands on this....been wanting to read this for a while

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments My library copy came in, and I will start it this weekend.

Open discussion begins tomorrow, Oct. 15. Looking forward to it!

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Open discussion begins tomorrow, Oct. 15. Looking forward to it!"

Me too :-))))))))

This is now a Spoiler Zone! Feel free to openly discuss My Sister's Grave.

Let's start by sharing our thoughts on this book. Did you enjoy the story? Why or why not? Did you like the way the story was written with the use of both past & present to reveal what happened? What worked and/or didn't work for you?

message 27: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments I loved the book so much I can't really express it, because:
- of the mostly great characters and their development
- I was surprised so often and amazed how fast my feelings toward two persons turned completely within one chapter - I never experienced something similar before (I'm no more sure about which characters I meant - so perahps I'll re-read it - even if I didn't plan to)
- is so much more than 'just' a mystery but a genre-mix between mystery, legal thriller, romantic suspense and drama
- of the different interwoven topic within the story (kidnapping, stalking/obsession, impact of trauma on a family/town, various discriminations in social area) and in terms of legal, forensic and police force matters
- of the different stylistic devices (hope it's the correct English term)
- it's such a fast paced story line
- a few times I realized only few pages or chapters later the importance of some key scenes - it was all so smooth and flowing
- of the dogs, they added very much to the story :-)
- the way it was written I was able to laugh much
I'm sure if I think a little bit more I'll come up with plenty other reasons I loved this book so much :-)

I'm not that big fan of the time shifts but it made sense here and I'm not sure if it would work at all without.

I struggled only with Tracy's boyfriend (Dan?) - he's so non-descript and unimpresive I couldn't even remember his name anymore and hope I found the correct one while scaning over the book now. Other than that everything worked perfectly and I don't think I would like any changes how the author created the book, the characters, just everything but Dan *grins*

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments I loved this one too. As I said earlier, I was a little surprised that the writing was as strong as it was - I think I might have some bias against books on KU...sorry! I've just seen so much crap on there - it's nice that there are some quality books in the selection.

I thought the twist was great, and so unexpected. I think most readers would expect him to be innocent after they went to all that trouble to get him a new trial - that plus the fact that he was actually framed. I think my general assumption is that innocent people get "framed", but I never thought about framing someone who was guilty.

I'll differ with your opinion on Dan, Agnieszka...I liked him! I think it was the fact that he was so solid, and just a pretty ordinary guy. Those guys never seem to get the girl, but I think they'll make a great couple.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Charlene wrote: "...I'll differ with your opinion on Dan, Agnieszka...I liked him! I think it was the fact that he was so solid, and just a pretty ordinary guy. Those guys never seem to get the girl, but I think they'll make a great couple."

No worries Charlene, logically I see it the same way and I never meant I don't like him I only struggled with the fact he wasn't present or visible in the book very much and that I forgot him very fast. I knew Tracy had a boyfriend but that was it - I couldn't remember this guy and what he was like.

message 30: by Sandra (last edited Oct 15, 2017 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I, too, was pleasantly surprised by the writing - it's strong, flows well, and well...it comes across as "real"! lol I'm going to read more by this author. I loved the book, the plot line, and the characters. I loved that the story unfolds "first-hand", even the past storyline from 20 years ago is told in a way that puts the reader in it. I agree that Dan was a little unforgettable, I guess, and yet I really liked that he was just a solid, good link to her past that turned into a really good, steady man. Tracy needed that in her life, imo. The author didn't go overboard with their "romance", but rather let it unfold in the context of the story & investigation.

I teetered back & forth on House (w/o looking back, I think that's his name) being guilty or not...but had settled on him being guilty. The judge even said that he didn't know whether he committed the crime or not, that was not what was in question. It was that he didn't get a fair trial and thus...he went free. I felt then that something ominous would happen.

What about Tracy? What was your feelings on her and her "obsession" with uncovering the truth at all costs even 20 years later? Did she go into law enforcement for the right reasons or was it too personal? Did your opinion of her change at any time during the book?

Who did you suspect as the killer while reading the story )if not the man in prison)? It becomes obvious there is some kind of cover-up, but did you figure out all the players & the reason why before it was all revealed? Share your thoughts on the conspiracy to keep Tracy in the dark.

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "What about Tracy? What was your feelings on her and her "obsession" with uncovering the truth at all costs even 20 years later? Did she go into law enforcement for the right reasons or was it too p..."

That's a tough one...it's hard to say what I would do in her place. I think it would be really difficult to let something like this go - especially when it's a sister that she was so close to. I did at some points wish that she could just let things rest - her preoccupation seemed a bit too obsessive. As to this being the reason she went into law enforcement - right or wrong, it's obvious that she is doing good work as a homicide detective. Maybe that's all that matters.

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Who did you suspect as the killer while reading the story )if not the man in prison)? It becomes obvious there is some kind of cover-up, but did you figure out all the players & the reason why befo..."

I had figured that her father was in on the frame...I thought that was what had driven him to suicide. I think though, that it was a big mistake to keep it all from Tracy - if the Sheriff had told her what was going on when the body was found and she started trying to get the new trial, it might have made a difference.

I agree, Charlene. At first, the conspiracy made me think they (sheriff, prosecutor, etc.) were involved in the murder in some way. But then, it becomes obvious they were covering up something & hiding it from Tracy. I figured her father knew more than he was telling, but I never suspected him of killing her.

Linda R, I found the title "My Sister's Grave" interesting. At the beginning of the book the grave in question seems to be the one they find by the lake. But by the end of the story, when Tracy finds herself trapped in a mine/prison with messages from her sister, the place where she died it seemed as if My Sister's Grave was really the mine shaft. In the end Tracy really did find her sister's grave and it was very moving.

message 37: by Jalayne (new) - added it

Jalayne | 69 comments I liked that the book didn't sugarcoat how hard it is living after someone goes missing. It's also touching and heartbreaking that the sister scrapped that writing into the wall.

I agree that the title is significant, Linda. Nice observation.

Also agree, Jalayne, that this author did an outstanding job with the subject matter in making it realistic and straight forward.

The author utilized settings that really "set the scene & mood" for big moments in this book...the dried lake bed, mine used as a prison, big snowstorm. They became an intricate part of the story and the way it played out.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments I thought the writing was wonderful however the book did not work for me as I kept thinking even after father died everyone involved in the frame kept their mouths shut so she would not find out., I respect loyality however if the sheriff came forward earlier and told her why she should drop the motion to acquit it would have saved a lot of lives.

That is true, Susan. If everyone had been honest in the beginning & even later after the grave was discovered, it would have changed the course of things. The one thing I didn't completely buy into was that they covered things up so she wouldn't feel guilty that it was her that the killer wanted in the first place. And, of course, they had to fabricate the evidence in order to arrest the guy in the first place. And still, overall I really enjoyed the book.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I just finished the book and mostly liked it.
I didn't get to the point that the men knew that Tracy was the original object of the criminal's intent.
I knew those men were covering up something, couldn't imagine they were in on the murder, but knew something was really wrong.
Is anyone planning to read the second book in the Tracy series? I can't decide whether I want to pursue that line or not.

Charlene wrote: "I just finished the book and mostly liked it.
I didn't get to the point that the men knew that Tracy was the original object of the criminal's intent.
I knew those men were covering up something,..."

I hope to read the rest of them, Charlene. I'd like to see how the author carries this series forward. I'm not sure if I can get to book 2 in Nov. or not, but I'm going to try. With the holidays coming, things get even busier than they already are.

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments I've added the rest of the series to my monthly list - liked this one enough to carry on!

message 45: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 43 comments I have read books 1 through 3 in this series so far, and I have enjoyed all of them so far. Each one is quite different with respect to the main case to be solved, but they continue a path of getting to know Tracy and her mad investigatory skills.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Finally got to this one. Started it today and I'm really enjoying it.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I may have to wait til November to get this one....been enjoying some of the comments and can't wait to read it.

I enjoyed it - the author's writing style, plot, & characters.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Finished this last night. I really enjoyed it too.