The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Fantasy with young male protagonist?

Comments (showing 1-32)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 32: by James (new)

James Kohos | 1 comments Well, necroing an old post (Cause I just came across it looking for something similar), but while I second a lot of these recommendations I think one of the best ones is missing...

All books by Raymond E. Feist, starting with Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

He really likes to have adolescent to young adult protagonists... And while other characters stay central as they age throughough the series, he keeps bringing in new blood.

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenoflongbeach) | 46 comments Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. The first book is The Blade Itself, a ripping good start to the series that is one of the best I have read, right up there with Rothfuss & George RR martin.

message 30: by Brodie (new)

Brodie James | 4 comments Try The Commons:Book one:Journeyman by Micheal Alan Peck was great book read my review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... amazing world he's up there with jk Rowling and dean koontz.

message 29: by Anaheli (new)

Anaheli | 2 comments Thanks for reminding me of Stephen King's Dark tower series, I read the first book a few years ago and really liked it but never continued with the other books, guess I have to start buying them or else I'll never see the end of it.

message 28: by JC (new)

JC (threethirds) Loving the Chronicles of Nik series!!Infinity

message 27: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Firmath | 1 comments Well, when opportunity knocks... Walls of Earth and Stone is currently free, and Book Two should be available by the time you finish reading the first.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 21, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Nash of the Thieves' Guild a short fantasy tale by me, myself and Tony Passarelli

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I just read all the current books of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. It starts with His Majesty's Dragon

message 24: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 2907 comments Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (5 books in this series I think)

Children of the Lamp by Philip Kerr

Both of these feature brother/sister protagonists

message 23: by AK (new)

AK Mama Reads (reniazen) | 6 comments Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury is a wonderful fantasy book by a renowned sci-fi writer. A great read to end the summer!

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah The Named by Marianne Curley! My favorite book. But it has switching point of views between a boy and a girl. is that okay? It's an awesome book. I love it.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (gqannanguyen) I would recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchScott Lynch. Someone mention The Name of the Wind (Wonderful book by the way) so I thought since Locke and Kvothe are the same age this will be ok. Anyway, just don't read it with (for example) your 10 year old child because there are A LOT of cussing. But a good read.

message 20: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) Also, if you don't mind that it's aimed at a younger age group (ie kids), the Rowan of Rin series by Emily Rodda, starting with Rowan of Rin is good...

message 19: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments JG wrote: "The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It won a Newbery Medal this year and I thought it was really good. You've gotten a lot of good recommendations already!"

I agree, good book. It also recently won the Hugo Award for Best Novel.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 489 comments I second Lori's recommendation of The Book of Lost Things. Also I've just started Neil Gaiman's Stardust on CD and it sounds like its right up your alley.

JG (The Introverted Reader) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It won a Newbery Medal this year and I thought it was really good. You've gotten a lot of good recommendations already!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I loved that series growing up.

message 15: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments Good one, Susanna! I thought I was missing one.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments The Dark Is Rising series, by Susan Cooper.

message 13: by Usako (last edited Aug 10, 2009 08:02AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments There's the Wheel of Time series, too. I nearly would say some Narnia ones, too.

And there's some Valdemar trilogies (Mercedes Lackey) that have a male protagonist!

message 12: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Robin Hobb's The Farseer trilogy comes to mind...so do the first two books of Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin (I think the third novel in this series is out but I thought the first two books wrapped everything up nicely).

There's also The Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg; the protagonist I believe is in his mid- to late-twenties, but it's a fantastic series worth checking out =)

I also second the recommendation for Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind; it was highly enjoyable =D

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissamarilyn) Thanks so much to everyone who recommended! My to-read list is now substantially longer, but that doesn't mean I don't want any more! ;)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 07, 2009 11:56PM) (new)

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series
Garth Nix's The Seventh Tower series
Garth Nix's The Keys to the Kingdom series
Angie Sage's Septimus Heape series
Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series
Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series
Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain
T. H. White's The Once and Future King
D.J. Machale's Pendragon series
Diane Duane's Young Wizard series

message 9: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings -- this is the first of a series of 5 books. The protagonist is a young man. If you like it there is a follow-up series as well when he is a little bit older.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. This is scifi rather than fantasy, but still a really good book with a young protagonist.

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (it has sequels, but I haven't read them yet)
and my favourites:
The Thieffollowed by The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner.
Also agree with The Name of the Wind!

message 7: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments I second Percy Jackson and the Olympians - it's one of my favorite series, and it's really funny.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn - though by the end of this series he is no longer young.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Melissa, you might enjoy The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Jack Sawyer is 12 when he "lights out for the Territories" in order to save his dying mother.

This is one of my favorite stories by Stephen King... I don't know how many times I've read it, but I love it! *pointed look at Allison who started and never finished because she's evil.*

Also, you might try the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, starting with The Gunslinger, in which three of the four main human characters fall within the "young male" guidelines you've set - the 4th is a woman, but she's awesome. Roland, the main character, starts at around 40, ages 10 years overnight, but really is kind of ageless. I always think of him as around 30 because he's got more of a "wise beyond his years" feel about him (I swear that will make sense if and when you read it, LOL). The first book in the series is a bit dry for a lot of people, but it's short, and the second is where it gets really good. I've read the entire series through several times (there are 7 books), and it's not for everyone, but you might like it! :)

Also, another you might try, and I haven't read these yet, but I've heard really good things about them, is the Bartimaeus Trilogy, starting with The Amulet of Samarkand.

And lastly, another I haven't yet read but heard really good things about is "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly. Here's a snippet of the description:

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother. He is angry and alone, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness, and as he takes refuge in his imagination, he finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld.

message 3: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments I second The Name of the Wind, great book.

I also have to mention there's a new book coming out I want to read that would also fit your description. I haven't read it yet but it sounds interesting: The Magicians A Novel by Lev Grossman.

message 2: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 07, 2009 12:45PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) There is the Percy Jackson series starting with The Lightning Thief you should DEFINITELY check out if you like Harry Potter.

And, let me recommend my very favorite book, The Name of the Wind. The main character, Kvothe, is telling his life story in this series of which there will be three books. This is the first (the other two aren't released yet), so he is telling of himself as a young boy and teenager. It is BRILLIANT, you will love it I guarantee! :) (and if you do end up reading it I want to know how you liked it!)

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissamarilyn) That...must sound oddly specific, aha. Honestly, it's just that I love fantasy, and usually find myself enjoying books with male protagonists more than female, for what ever reason. "Young" simply meaning I don't want a book about a 68 year old, but I'm thinking of a wide range of ages being fine.

Books I've already read:
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
The Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer
The Sea of Trolls Trilogy by Nancy Farmer
Jumper by Steven Gould
The Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini
Hero's Song by Edith Pattou