Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Ice Cream -> tapioca -> Bubble Tea is the best ever!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm making some homemade vanilla ice cream today. The ice cream maker bowl is in the freezer, and I've got the sugar, honey, lavender, vanilla, milk, butter, and yogurt mixture chilling in the fridge.

Hints? Suggestions? My last batch of peach ice cream didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but that is because I basically forgot to pre-freeze the maker bowl.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Don't forget the salt.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments No hints. Just - that sounds heavenly.

THE best ice cream I've ever had came directly out of the ice cream maker - sweet cream ice cream with bananas, cinnamon, and fresh vanilla extract. I was in the 4th grade. It was for my sister's birthday. Sept 29, 1982.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's the day after my birthday!

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments best ice cream i ever had:

in 2005 in was in guinea west africa drilling water wells in the village of ojague. the last day there after a tough 2 weeks in the hot and working hard my hosts the yearwoods (who are linguists working with the tanda tribe) brought out homemade ice cream made from some kind of goat milk, fresh fruit and sugar cane. they had used their solar panels to run a small fridge/freezer deal a couple of hours a day for a week making a minute quantity of ice cubes with which to make the ice cream in a hand cranked maker. lots of tanda kids pitched in to turn the crank so it truly was an act of love and gratitude. about 1 cup of ice cream each, savoring each spoonful while standing in the bush of africa.

truly glorious

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Dear lord,

Please someday let me have a life as rich and wonderful as Kevin's.

Thank you,
Sally

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments and i have pics of just about everything....

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments SHARE! I want to see ice cream pics!!!

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i will put pics on this afternoon from my hard drive at home of the africa antics

message 10: by Kevin (new)

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3...

and Honduras (no ice cream in either of these shots)

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'd seen the Africa picture before (a long time ago), but not the Honduras one - great pictures, Kevin! :)

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Those are great pics, Kevin...awesome...

Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is evil.

I feel sorry for people who don't live near...

http://www.culvers.com/

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Why the name change RA?

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know of what you speak, Jim!

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i must have had some bad salsa for lunch because i thought i saw something wacky with your pic too

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I could have sworn you showed up as Sandy something, but when you ran the pointer over the picture it had your name.

Must be hallucinating today.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Nah, you're right...long story...just screwing around in the Gary thread:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, same here. It said Sandy, for sure, and I thought, hey, another mint chocolate chip ice cream hater...

message 22: by Kevin (new)

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments !!!!! :)

Kevin!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't see anyone eating ice cream, though, Kevin.

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, i didn't get to take a pic of me eating it but this is the trip when the story above happened

message 26: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Local churches went on well-digging missions recently. The picture of the water pump really hit hard. I would've gone through that lady's bucket in ten seconds. I just washed my dishes with hot and cold tap water. I take 15-minute showers.

I've been working on conservation. I know CA's been in "drought" for over a decade now.

RE: Ice cream
Should be eaten here or here.

A hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli Square is okay, too. : )

I realized I eat most of my ice cream in the Bay. Back at home, Koreatown's amazing froyos and shaved ices are too close for ice cream to be as exciting.

message 27: by Knarik (last edited Aug 08, 2009 06:51PM) (new)

Knarik I LOVE chocolate ice cream.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli Square is okay, too. : )

This is an absolute must for every trip we make to SFO.

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Aug 10, 2009 07:07AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nools, those bombes look amazing... like candy art or something out of a movie (read: Marie Antoinette)!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You guys are really making me want ice cream, and it is not something I need.

message 31: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Are you on a diet Jim?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Just watching my caloric intake Knarik.

message 33: by Knarik (new)

Knarik it is a good habit.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Exercise is a good habit too, and one I need to be better at.

message 35: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Me too.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have been jogging down to Scoops for a double dip of almond joy lately. hope i can break even on that stunt

message 37: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments OK, this isn't about ice cream, but i hate starting new threads.

I just ate some tapioca. It seems basically to be vanilla pudding with little things in it. I would probably be better of not knowing, but what are those little things?

(I could google it, but I so enjoy partaking of the TC wisdom.)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Tapioca is a starch used as a thickener. Those little things are pieces of cassava root, processed into little pearls.

message 39: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yay! I knew someone (I was betting Jackie or Bunny) would have the answer!

And phew, I totally don't mind eating pearly pieces of cassava.

:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, it's vegetarian, completely.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't like tapioca. I've given it an honest chance more than once, but, no. It's gelatinous, but creamy.

message 42: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Anyone tried bubble tea? It recently came to my college town and I've been wanting to try it because it's all the rage, but tapioca kinda creeps me out although I do not recall if I've ever actually tried it before in my short years of existence.

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i always thought the little pearl things in tapioca were fish eye balls. i love tapioca.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I love bubble tea, Angabel. It seems especially refreshing when it's hot outside. I'm not sure why that is. Jessica treated me to some when she was visiting Little Rock last month.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Tapioca pudding is delicious when paired with pistachio pudding.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Bubble tea is gross.

message 47: by Heidi (last edited Aug 17, 2009 06:25AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments No, it's just gross to you, Sally. It's your opinion. I think it's wonderful.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've always been put off by bubble tea (but that's just my opinion, don't hurt me please, Heidi-the-Bear)(I like to say Heidi-the-Bear like Maya-the-Bee).

Back on the ice cream front, I was in Princeton this weekend to not-see my new twin baby nieces (they were born too premature for visitors), and discovered that Matt had failed to mention the Bent Spoon to us.

The Bent Spoon had gelato and ice cream and sorbets, mostly made of local and/or organic ingredients.
Flavors included some usual ones plus shisu leaf, chocolate raspberry, plum melon, and tomato-peach. I chickened out on tomato-peach and had the chocolate raspberry and the plum melon. They were absolutely delicious. So was the teeny tiny sea salt caramel brownie.
Good stuff.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love sea salt caramels, Sarah Pi. But I would have chickened out on the tomato-peach combo, too.
What's shisu leaf?

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I've always been put off by bubble tea (but that's just my opinion, don't hurt me please, Heidi-the-Bear)"

I have no issue with that so long as you're clear that it's your opinion and not fact.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.