Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Margaret George

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments I've only read one of her books but plan to read them all. I know she has a lot of fans and thought she deserved a place on the list.

The book I've read was The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers. I loved this book because she was able to give a new voice and perspective to a story many people know. This novel was told in Henry's voice, as opposed to the voice of his wives or his children, as is so often the case.

Other books by her include:

The Memoirs of Cleopatra
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Mary, Called Magdalene
Helen of Troy

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 230 comments I plan on getting Mary, Called Magdalene from the library sometime fairly soon

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments I've read Helen of Troy and part of The Memoirs of Cleopatra. Helen of Troy was very good and read almost like a movie. Cleopatra's was good but then I reached a certain part where I was bored and I couldn't keep all the characters straight. So I put it down and never picked it back up. But the first portion of Cleo's rise to power was very interesting.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 230 comments I have Helen of Troy, its the only one of hers I actually own.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 59 comments I've read her Cleopatra book and got about 150 pages in on the Henry book (and couldn't renew it, so it went back to the library). I adore her books, however, it is very, very difficult to get an 800 page plus book read in a timely manner. I haven't bought many books lately, but these are definitely books that should be bought so they can be savored... I love the blend of historical detail and fictional narration... she really is the best!

JG (Introverted Reader) I've read Helen of Troy and remember it as being very good. I have Mary, Called Magdalene and Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles lying around here to read.

One of my aunts loaned me about 40 books, mostly HF, before Christmas and those were in there. Unfortunately, I keep getting distracted with other things and I've only read about 15 of them.

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 221 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've only read one of her books but plan to read them all. I know she has a lot of fans and thought she deserved a place on the list.

The book I've read was [book:The Autobiography of Henry VII..."

I've had Mary,Called Magdalene since it was released because I'm interested in Mary Magdalene, but I never got around to reading it. I have to be plenty motivated to read long novels.

Shomeret

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 59 comments A friend who has read several of her books says that Mary is her favorite... one of these days I'll get to it...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) My library has another one called One Women's Situation: A Study on Mary Wollstonecraft. I think it is about Mary Shelley, but not sure. All of the others look good and I plan to read them soon.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 278 comments Lyn wrote: "My library has another one called One Women's Situation: A Study on Mary Wollstonecraft. I think it is about Mary Shelley, but not sure. All of the others look good and I plan to read them soon. "

I never heard of that one. Would be interesting though I bet.

message 11: by Frances (new)

Frances | 6 comments I loved The Memoirs of Cleopatra, and I enjoyed The Autobiography of Henry VIII until wife 4 or 5, then I thought it got rather boring. Just finished Mary, Called Magdalene, which I thought I'd really like since I knew nothing about her to begin with, but I thought it really dragged. Must check out Helen of Troy, have not read that one, and I love Greek stuff!

message 12: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) I have had Henry VIII sitting on my book shelf for ages, but keep getting distracted, I should really read it I have heard so many good things about it

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Memoirs of Cleopatra is one of my favorite books by anyone and I own Mary Queen of Scotts and Henry VIII. I think I would like almost anything she wrote, so would always pick it up if I found it for a good price.

message 14: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 142 comments I have read Mary Queen of Scots and the Isles and The Biography of Henry the VIII and loved them both. I'm not a fast reader but I got through those two pretty quickly. I got about 230 pgs into Memiors of Cleopatra but then I started a reading challenge that prevented me from finishing it. I've heard good things about Mary called Magdalene and Troy. Like many others they are sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get around to them.

message 15: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I am loving Memoirs of Cleopatra. I'm about 360 pages (The Ides of March to give you a time frame...) in and its gone by so fast! George's writing really sucks you in and doesn't let go!

message 16: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) I have Mary called Magdalene, Henry VIII, and Mary Queen of Scots by her and am looking for Cleopatra and Helen. Haven't read any of them yet, but one of my best friends highly recommends them. I think there's supposed to be new one coming out in like January or so about Elizabeth I (or was it about someone else?......I can't remember now!)

message 17: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments I would agree, I LOVE all her books. She hooked me with Cleopatra, scratched my Anglophile itch with Henry the 8th (more than Mary Queen of Scots), and the others came in close seconds. You just learn a tremendous amount and come to really relate and understand her characters. I would expect with electronic books this will help readers engage with her even more as they won't have to heft her books everywhere!

message 18: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 678 comments I have never read Margaret George but I have her The Memoirs of Cleopatra. I will be reading it in May as part of a year long 3 book a month challenge for another club. Based on your recommendations, I am really looking forward to it.

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Lovisa (geminichick) | 3 comments Margaret George is close to my heart as I randomly picked up Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles 10+ years ago and it got me started in the historical fiction club. It sent me off toward the Tudors, then the Plantagenets, then Edward Rutherfurd's England novels, etc., etc. I've read them all and am anxiously awaiting Elizabeth I in April!

message 20: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments Oh I didn't know she was coming out with a new one! That is very exciting! :) Thanks for the good news!

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) I got the Elizabeth I book as an anniversary present yesterday. I'm looking forward to diving into it.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Braun | 19 comments I have read all of Margaret George's books and love the way she writes!
The whole time that I was reading 'Mary Queen of Scotland' I was hoping for a better ending than history dealt her, no such luck!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 544 comments I love Margaret George, but I confess I never wanted the read the Mary Queen of Scotland book. Not because of the writing; I knew that would be great; but because Queen Mary was such a colossal idiot that I didn't feel like spending 800 pages with her, or even 8.

message 24: by Melisa (new)

Melisa | -1 comments I loved The Memoirs of Cleopatra. It was the first HF book I ever read and loved all 900 pages. It's always a little disheartening when you spend 6 months reading a book though, and I think that is why I haven't opened The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers. I really should read it next....

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie Lovisa (geminichick) | 3 comments Kate wrote: "I love Margaret George, but I confess I never wanted the read the Mary Queen of Scotland book. Not because of the writing; I knew that would be great; but because Queen Mary was such a colossal id..."

Haha, that's why I love her. What a soap opera her life was!

message 26: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 678 comments Since The Memoirs of Cleopatra is such a colossal book and since I am reading it in May, it is nice to see that a lot of you really enjoyed it. Makes me more eager to get to it.

message 27: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Melisa wrote: "I loved The Memoirs of Cleopatra. It was the first HF book I ever read and loved all 900 pages. It's always a little disheartening when you spend 6 months reading a book though, and I ..."

You will find that Henry goes by so quickly you will wonder how on earth you read so many pages in so short a time . . . .

Kathy

Tierra Red

message 28: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments LemonLinda wrote: "Since The Memoirs of Cleopatra is such a colossal book and since I am reading it in May, it is nice to see that a lot of you really enjoyed it. Makes me more eager to get to it."

Three of my four daughters yanked this book off my bookshelf while in high school and devoured it! You will enjoy it greatly . . . .

Kathy

Tierra Red

message 29: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments So far I'm loving Elizabeth! The only problem is not having enough time to devote to reading it! Thanks to Margaret for another wonderful book!

message 30: by Gordon (last edited Apr 15, 2011 01:27AM) (new)

Gordon Doherty | 12 comments *SPOILER ALERT*

Helen of Troy was pretty special. The way Margaret George depicted the city and its people's gradual destruction through the war was moving, and it was especially refreshing that the story continued after the demise - something that works on this subject rarely go into. In fact it inspired me to write a novel set just after the fall of Troy (parked for now while I promote my other book)!

I wondered if I would relate to the protagonist in HoT as most of my historical fiction reads have male leads, but really quickly it became apparent that the sex of the main character was totally inconsequential for me. A great read!

Anyway, that's kind of off topic - I'll have to try Memoirs of Cleopatra :)

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Braun | 19 comments I liked the way Margaret George continued the story of Mary Magdalene after Ascension Day as well. The world does not end after a major event and what people do afterwards is also interesting. I'm glad MG tries to give the whole story :o)

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) | 15 comments I just finished Elizabeth I and enjoyed it very much. The novel begins in 1588 and carries through to Elizabeth's death some 15 or so years later. There is probably no groundbreaking information here if one is familiar with the key characters and events of the time, but I think George creates a very understandable Elizabeth. And she is masterful at weaving historical detail seamlessly into the story.

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda | -42 comments I've never read any of George's books but I love historical fiction and am thinking about buying Elizabeth I. I prefer HF books that are written in 1st person, more like a story than a history book. Which is Elizabeth I?

message 34: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Craig I can't count myself a fan of this author. I really like the subjects, but I find her writing stilted. I read about 100 pages of The Memoirs of Cleopatra and gave up. Ditto with Henry VIII. I guess what it comes down to is voice.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) I just bought Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George at a local booksale. I've read all her other ones, with HenryVIII being my favorite and Cleopatra my least. Helen and Mary were also quite good. Anyone know what she is working on next?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) DonnaR wrote: "I just finished Elizabeth I and enjoyed it very much. The novel begins in 1588 and carries through to Elizabeth's death some 15 or so years later. There is probably no groundbreaking information ..."

Another good one! Did you read the Henry VIII one? I thought her Tudor HF were excellent.

message 37: by Jackie (last edited May 16, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Jessie wrote: "I just bought Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George at a local booksale. I've read all her other ones, with HenryVIII being my favorite and Cleopatra my least. Helen and Mary were also quite go..."

She just came out with Elizabeth I in April- http://www.margaretgeorge.com/.

This is her current project page: http://www.margaretgeorge.com/about-m...

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) Jackie wrote: "Jessie wrote: "I just bought Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George at a local booksale. I've read all her other ones, with HenryVIII being my favorite and Cleopatra my least. Helen and Mary wer..."

thanks very much! Appreciate it greatly.

message 39: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 142 comments Linda wrote: ~I've never read any of George's books but I love historical fiction and am thinking about buying Elizabeth I. I prefer HF books that are written in 1st person, more like a story than a history book. Which is Elizabeth I?~

Loved Elizabeth I! Its first person narrative alternating between Elizabeth and Lettice Knollys.

message 40: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 476 comments I am just becoming a George fan. I am glad I found this thread to see so many of her titiles

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 73 comments I really enjoyed The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George & Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George . Recently bought Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George at a used bookstore. Hope to fit it in soon.

message 42: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (mmorrell) | 9 comments I got Henry out of the library a week ago, and I love it. I am intent on getting it finished on time. I had never heard of Margaret George before, and now I am a lifelong fan. If they are all this long I will have to buy them.
boo-hoo!
I feel like I have discovered a goldmine!

message 43: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Vorenberg | 16 comments Maggie wrote: "I got Henry out of the library a week ago, and I love it. I am intent on getting it finished on time. I had never heard of Margaret George before, and now I am a lifelong fan. If they are all th..."

You should have no problem finishing Henry -- I don't think I ever read a book so quickly (putting everything else on hold while doing so!) . . . .

Kathy
Tierra Red

message 44: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccabeccabooklover) I absolutely love Margaret George's novels with Helen of Troy and The Memoirs of Cleopatra being my favourite. I have read all of her novels except Elizabeth I which I will buy once it is out on amazon in paperback! She brings the characters alive and by writing them in the 1st person narrative it is as if they are truly speaking and as if you are reading a diary that they had written. I have read Cleopatra twice as I loved it so much and she is my favourite character in history. Even though I know the histories behind each novel I do find myself wishing that all the endings were different! I would recommend George to any hungry HF fan wanting to read a great book!

message 45: by Teralyn (new)

Teralyn Pilgrim | 36 comments I enjoyed Helen of Troy. I want to read a book about Cleopatra because I don't know much about her. Since Margaret George was so accurate with Helen of Troy, I trust her to be accurate with this book too.

Anyone else know of a good Cleopatra book? Are there any you liked better, or is Margaret's version the best?

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 148 comments I did not care for Helen of Troy as much because George did not set the novel in its proper Bronze Age Mycenaean setting, and even left out some crucial parts of the Helen legend, including her abduction by Theseus.

message 47: by Teralyn (new)

Teralyn Pilgrim | 36 comments Yeah, and then in Helen of Troy she added a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with anything and just took up space. The part where Helen gets poisoned bothered me the most. It's not like the book needs to be made longer! At the same time, I was impressed how much of the story she did include, even if I disagreed with what she added and what she left out.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 148 comments Teralyn wrote: "Yeah, and then in Helen of Troy she added a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with anything and just took up space. The part where Helen gets poisoned bothered me the most. It's not like the bo..."

And the whole thing with Gelanor the Bronze Age gum-sandal felt too contemporary for me.

message 49: by April (new)

April | 187 comments Teralyn wrote: "I enjoyed Helen of Troy. I want to read a book about Cleopatra because I don't know much about her. Since Margaret George was so accurate with Helen of Troy, I trust her to be accurate with this bo..."

I read the new Cleo book Cleopatra: A Life and there was nothing new in this 2011 book that wan't already included in George's The Memoirs of Cleopatra and Cleo :A Life is non-fiction!

George's books are wonderful stories with the best research woven in. Worth the time.

message 50: by Jeanna (last edited Sep 02, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Jeanna George's book about Mary Magdalene is one of my favorites. It is, in a word, amazing. She follows the Bible quiet closely yet weaves her fictional universe in so seamlessly. I've loved all her books but this one is my favorite. Does anyone know if she has anything new coming out in the near future?

Whoops just saw up thread that her latest is Elizabeth the 1st. That must go on my TBR list..which is getting longer by the minute!

« previous 1