Victorians! discussion

Nominations Archives > September Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Hi everyone, here is the nominations post for those who want to read a neo-victorian novel in September. The nominations will stay open until Monday 10th August and then the voting will open.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Anna wrote: "I'll nominate Possession to get the ball rolling. I think some of you also want to read this one :) "

I second thia

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Allhug wrote: "I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally"

Hi Ally, this nomination is for neo-victorian books (so set in victorian times, but not actually written then). We will be having another actual victorian nomination thread next month so you can add Dombey and Son then if you like. Otherwise, myself and Ayu are wanting to read it soon so maybe we could read it at the same time if you like?

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 91 comments I'd like to nominate The Big Stink by Clare Clark or Kept by D J Taylor.

These are both on my bookshelf to be read so its a good incentive!

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Boof wrote: "Allhug wrote: "I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally"

Hi Ally, this nomination is for neo-victorian books (so set in victorian times, but not actually written th..."

oops! apologies all - the newbie should really pay more attention before posting! lol - I'll do better in future and save my nomination for next time!

Ally

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments I'd like to nominate The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I'm not necessarily nominating this yet, but has anyone heard anything about "The World before her" which involves George Eliot?

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I think Possession and The crimson petal and the white are both excellent nominations, but since I've already read them I'd like to suggest "Drood" by Dan Simmons, or "The Seance" by John Harwood.

message 10: by MBP (new)

MBP I'd like to nominate The Quincunx by Charles Palliser. It's been on my TBR list forever and I've heard good things about it.

message 11: by Bettie (new)

Bettie MBP wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Quincunx by Charles Palliser. It's been on my TBR list forever and I've heard good things about it.

"

...and I second it, MBP

:O)

message 12: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Bettie wrote: "MBP wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Quincunx by Charles Palliser. It's been on my TBR list forever and I've heard good things about it.

"

...and I second it, MBP

:O)"

And I will third it.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I'll go with The Quincunx by Charles Palliser too; and failing that, I'd like to see Byatt's Possession done. We might, at some point, consider Byatt's two novellas included in Angels & Insects, the first being Morpho Eugenia followed by Conjugial Angel. Cheers!

message 14: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 91 comments I'll go with the Quincunx too!

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Anna wrote: "Allhug wrote: "I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally"

I'll second Dombey and Son for a future read!

Can I also nominate Byatt's [book:The Children's Book|559..."

Just as a point of clarification; and it has been said above too; Dombey and Son, by Dickens, is a Victorian novel. The Quincunx, by Palliser, and Byatt's Possession or The Children's Book are examples of neo-Victorian literature, i.e., novels written relatively recently but placed in the Victorian Era. I hope this helps. Cheers!

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Anna wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Anna wrote: "Allhug wrote: "I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally"

Can I also nominate Byat..."

Ahh, my bad, Anna! I apologize for the misunderstanding ;-) Cheers!

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Anna wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Anna wrote: "Allhug wrote: "I'd like to nominate 'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens please.

Ally"

Can I also nominate Byat..."

...and I completely agree that a group read of Dombey and Son would be wonderful. It is in my top-four favorite Dickens novels!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments I would definitely be up for a group read of Dombey and Son in the future.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Elizabeth wrote: "Byatt's The Children's Book isn't out in the US until October (something I am very frustrated by). I'd love to read it with this group. Can we hold off until it's generally available, please?"

I completely agree with Elizabeth. I so want to read Byatt's new novel, The Children's Book. I assume that most of you know that it has also been long-listed for the 2009 Man Booker award.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Nominations are now closed and voting is open ☺

message 21: by The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) (last edited Aug 15, 2009 10:55AM) (new)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments We have a winner for our first neo-victorian group read:

Possession A Romance by A.S. Byatt

The discussion thread will open on 1st September for those who want to join in.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am excited to read neo - victorian and get my used copy. I am so happy to be exposed to things I would think to pick to read. Thank you nominators

message 23: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Yay, I was planning on reading this one shortly, now I have another reason to start it sooner rather than later.

message 24: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I've been wanting to read this one for a while. Now I finally have a motivator.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments Ah, I liked that one a great deal.

message 26: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 116 comments Susanna wrote: "Ah, I liked that one a great deal."

Me too. But I read it so long ago that I probably can't recall enough to discuss it intelligently. So I'll be interested in following the discussion, which should jog my memory.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments I just re-read it at Christmas. Still excellent.

message 28: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 132 comments Haven't read this yet, so should be interesting. Would still like to read though some of the other ones posted up for voting. The Seance especially.

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Gabriele wrote: "Susanna wrote: "Ah, I liked that one a great deal."

Me too. But I read it so long ago that I probably can't recall enough to discuss it intelligently. So I'll be interested in following the discus..."

I read it a while back too, but hopefully, like yourself, my memory will jogged by the discussion.

message 30: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 38 comments This is one of the few books I have reread, because I loved it so much. Probably won't reread again, but will follow the discussion with interest. I was disappointed also with the movie - casting for modern plot not good in contrast with the fabulous Jennifer Ehle and Jeremy Northam.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Scott wrote: "Haven't read this yet, so should be interesting. Would still like to read though some of the other ones posted up for voting. The Seance especially. "

Me too, Scott. I really want to read The Seance too someime soon.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Oh, I'll have to reread it. I love Possession.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Boof wrote: "Scott wrote: "Haven't read this yet, so should be interesting. Would still like to read though some of the other ones posted up for voting. The Seance especially. "

Me too, Scott. I really want ..."

I didn't know John Harwood had written a second novel! :) I LOVED THE GHOST WRITER and THE SEANCE sounds even better. All those dreary country houses, the fog, the moors. I can't wait to read this one! I just put it in my online shopping cart! :)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Gabrielle, I ordered The Seance from Amazon last week and it just arrived this morning! I can't wait to read it - I may read it in September as well as Posession . It does look really good.

message 35: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (elizac) | 27 comments I also really liked The Ghost Writer. I'm not easily scared and this one was definitely creepy in places. I'm going to have to get The Seance now. These book groups cost me an awful lot of money :)

message 36: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 132 comments Eliza wrote: "I also really liked The Ghost Writer. I'm not easily scared and this one was definitely creepy in places. I'm going to have to get The Seance now. These book groups co..."

I have not read The Ghost Writer either, sounds very good. The Ghost Writer is well written?

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Eliza, I know what you mean. Every time someone mentions a book I have to get it; I swear half my wages go on books! ☺

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Boof wrote: "Gabrielle, I ordered The Seance from Amazon last week and it just arrived this morning! I can't wait to read it - I may read it in September as well as Posession . It does look really good."

I'm going to order it today. I just loved THE GHOST WRITER, especially the ending, and I have higher hopes for THE SEANCE. John Harwood is such an elegant writer. I've been waiting for more from him.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Scott wrote: "Eliza wrote: "I also really liked The Ghost Writer. I'm not easily scared and this one was definitely creepy in places. I'm going to have to get The Seance now. These ..."

Oh, THE GHOST WRITER is wonderfully written and it has the most astonishing ending. It's not an "O. Henry surprise ending," but after you've finished the book, you'll see how everything fits together. It's a very creepy book, just wonderful.

message 40: by TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (last edited Aug 21, 2009 09:09AM) (new)

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Boof wrote: "Eliza, I know what you mean. Every time someone mentions a book I have to get it; I swear half my wages go on books! ☺"

Me, too. I'm trying to cut back, but I MUST have DROOD and SEANCE! :) Oh, that reminds me. Arthur Phillips' book, ANGELICA, a neo-Victorian, was genuinely creepy, too. Just wonderful.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Gabrielle wrote: "Boof wrote: "Eliza, I know what you mean. Every time someone mentions a book I have to get it; I swear half my wages go on books! ☺"

Me, too. I'm trying to cut back, but I MUST have DROOD and SEA..."

Gabrielle, you'll find Drood sufficiently 'creepy' too. Drood really sheds a lot of light on the relationship between Dickens and Wilkie Collins; which I really hadn't known very much about. It really is a wonderful psycho-drama. Cheers! Chris

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Thanks, Christopher. I had known there was a relationship between Dickens and Wilkie Collins, but I, too, don't know much about it. I'm glad DROOD will be "creepy," too. We'll soon be heading into autumn, and there nothing I like better when fall is in the air and the leaves start swirling in the wind than to read a genuinely creepy book. For me, those are few and far between and I'm glad DROOD is going to one of them.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments So many books so little time!!!! I want them all! NOW!!

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca So do I Boof but my justificatin is always that I can't think of a better thing to spend money on. :)

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I can, but I buy the books and DVDs anyway, though I am trying to cut back.

message 46: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 103 comments Boof wrote: "So many books so little time!!!! I want them all! NOW!!"

I'm with ya, Boof!

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I gave in and bought THE SEANCE and DROOD and I couldn't resist a beautiful leather-bound copy of THE DIVINE COMEDY. And a DVD of THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE.

I'm reading THE SEANCE. Is anyone else reading it or has read it? If so, what did you think?

message 48: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 16 comments This isn't that important, but I wasn't sure where to write it. Possession book discussions- broken down into 3 parts- are mispelled. It says Posession but should be Possession...

message 49: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 200 comments Annie wrote: "This isn't that important, but I wasn't sure where to write it. Possession book discussions- broken down into 3 parts- are mispelled. It says Posession but should be Possession... "

Annie, I was just wondering whom to tell about that, too.

message 50: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments I am sure the moderator will soon notice your comments. The misspelling is an easy mistake (typo) for a busy person. I was so busy reading the great comments I didn't even notice it myself.

« previous 1