The Forest Guard discussion

Books

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Haskins | 4 comments Abby, will you select a book or do we just read which ever one we want? I have not read any of the Ted Dekker books, but really want to! I understand I can start with the new book...which will somehow explain the old books????? Or should I just start with the first one?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby (aanklam) | 8 comments Mod
The strange and unusual thing about this series is that you can start anywhere. I would suggest starting with either Showdown or Black. I read Showdown first. The order they were written was Black, Red, White, Showdown, Saint, Sinner.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Haskins | 4 comments WOW! I had no idea all of these books were in one series! The new books are part of the same series, right? Have you read all of them?

message 4: by Abby (new)

Yep. They are amazing!! A little strange, but very deep. It's Christian fiction/fantasy. Dekker is fantastic!

message 5: by Cara (new)

Cara So how many books are exactly in the series? Like I didn't even know they were new or old anything. As you can tell I'm very much in the dark here.

message 6: by Abby (new)

OK, the story is pretty complicated. It's really two series, but they are connected in a way. Black, Red, White and Green make up the Circle Series. Showdown, Saint, and Sinner make up the Paradise series. I don't know what year the Circle was released, but the Paradise books have been released since I started high school.

message 7: by Cara (new)

Cara Oh ok that makes more sense:) Thanks for explaining!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments Also Cara, there are the Lost Books. They are set in both our world (like the Paradise Books) and the world of the Circle Trilogy. This is where it gets really confusing- the first four lost books (Chosen, Infidel, Renegade, and Chaos) take place during the 15 year gap between Red and White. So I would suggest reading (Green?) Black Red White (Green?), then the Paradise Books, then the Lost Books. As you can see, I don't really know where to put Green. I'm not sure if it's a prequel or what... But whatever it is, I'm sure it will be mindblowing!

Oh, and as for how to tell which books are in the Books of History Chronicles (the big connected series), it is listed in a lot of Dekker's newer books. So whenever you get Green, it should have it at the beginning of the book. Hope that helps!

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Haskins | 4 comments Okay Michael, now I'm REALLY confused. Can you just create a list of books, in order? I haven't started any of them, but would like to start at the beginning and work my way to the end...(if that's possible!!!).

message 10: by Cara (new)

Cara Ok that does shed a little more light. Thanks Michael. Man I had no idea what I was getting into!
That's a good idea Theresa. If anybody would be willing to make a list that would be great!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments Well... Here's the list in the order I would read them. All of these series together are the Books of History Chronicles. It's kinda like the shannara series in that it's one huge series with lots of parts.

CIRCLE SERIES
(Insert Green here?)
Black
Red
White
(Insert Green here?)

PARADISE BOOKS
Showdown
Saint
Sinner

THESE DON'T HAVE A SPECIFIC NAME, BUT ARE RELATED TO THE BOOKS OF HISTORY
Skin
House

THE LOST BOOKS
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

I'd like to point out several cool things about this whole big series- (Don't worry, no major spoilers) The villain in the Paradise Books is Marsuvees BLACK. In Skin, the villain is Sterling RED. In House, Barsidious WHITE. I always thought that was great. Also, the first letter of the six lost books spells Circle, and they are set in the same world (mostly) as the Circle Trilogy.

message 12: by Cara (new)

Cara I copy and pasted the list thanks again Michael. Now I just have to get to reading! Oh yeah that's cool how everything connects like that I probably would have missed that.

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Haskins | 4 comments That is exactly what I needed Michael! I tend to be a bit anal like that....now I can get started.

And thanks for the tips too! I probably wouldn't have gotten that either!

I can't wait to get reading..

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 5 comments I agree, I think I will start with the circle series without green.... then the paradise then the lost series, lastly green, because the description said it ties all the series together somehow.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments Yeah. I have to say though, even though I absolutely love almost all of Dekker's books, Blink was one of my all-time favorites. (Too bad it's not in the Books of History Chronicles) And then they had to redo it and make the new edition, Blink of an Eye. I think that it wasn't as good as the original, mainly because it was more mushy and less action. And more politically correct. (I despise political correctness, mainly because 9 out of 10 things that are politically correct are incorrect in the normal sense of the word) But that's just me. Has anyone else read both editions? If so, what are your thoughts?

message 16: by Abby (new)

I have only read Blink, and I really liked it. I didn't realize Blink of an Eye was different, I thought they just changed the title to match the movie.
My favorite Dekker books are Thr3e and Showdown, and I am pretty much in love with Johnny and Thomas Hunter:)

message 17: by Elissa (new)

Elissa  (littlebitofe) Hi everyone!

Great of you to make that list, Michael! I spent quite a bit of time one day trying to figure it all out while looking on Amazon. I finally did, but I wish a simple list would have been available.

I have only read Black, Red, and White. I have Thr3e sitting in my to read pile. I am sure I will enjoy it. Dekker really knows how to develop characters and weave an incredible story. You can see it in your head like a movie, kwim?

My question is - what characters are in the other books that are in Black, Red, White, if any???

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments Thomas and Rachelle have minor parts in the Lost Books. (I'm pretty sure Thomas is in all but number 4, and Rachelle is just in the first 3. I think.) I'm pretty sure those numbers are right. I know that they are actually in that series. Thomas is also mentioned as a historical figure in the Paradise Books. Hm... I think that's it. Mostly, each mini-series has its own protagonist so you get to meet new characters with each one.
Hope that helps!

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments thanks for the list Michael!!!
i started showdown and then found out books were b4 it so now i stopped and will read it from the beginning!!! i have the books just got to get around to reading them

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments I wish that all authors could write as quickly as Dekker. I don't think I've had a new release book to read in about 2 or 3 months... I can't wait for Green!

message 21: by Elissa (new)

Elissa  (littlebitofe) Picked up Showdown - can't wait to start!!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (m1land) | 6 comments Oh my gosh! GREEN IS AMAZING! I am about halfway through it, but now here is my revised reading order for the Books of History Chronicles. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree, as there really isn't a right answer.

Black
Red
White
Showdown
Saint
Sinner
House
Skin
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon
Green

I put Green at the end because it seems like it would spoil some stuff in the other books. But, according to Ted's blog post, that shouldn't happen, so you can read it whenever you want. Also, I put it at the end because it ties together the Paradise books, circle book, and lost books (It's got major characters from all three series) and I think it's better to read about each character separately first. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Hope that helps!

message 23: by Abby (new)

I haven't read it yet, but perhaps Green should be read first, followed by the Paradise, Circle, and Lost books, and then read again at the end. That way the reader would be able to understand connections and allusions that they wouldn't have noticed the first time through.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 5 comments I was able to buy the first three books in one large book at Barnes and Noble. I also got it really cheap on sale. It was the Black, Red and WHite books. I think you should read these first and save Green for last, since that is how Ted Dekker had written them. You wont need the green book to understand the first three books, and it might ruin alot of the surprises in the first three books! I am having a blast and have finished Black and Red. I started White a few days ago. I have turned into a big fan!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 5 comments Michael thanks for the list, I kind of agreed that maybe we should read the series in order with Green at the end to tie all the series together, like you said it contains info from the other series!

I just finished Black, Red and White, and now will move onto the paradise series

I read Ted Dekkers the Bonemans Daughter and loved it!

message 26: by Ally (new)

Ally Michael wrote: "Oh my gosh! GREEN IS AMAZING! I am about halfway through it, but now here is my revised reading order for the Books of History Chronicles. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, so feel free..."

Wait... is House really part of the Circle? I've read Black, Red, White, and Green plus all the Lost Books and Showdown. Maybe I'm missing something that's in the other paradise novels... but when I read House it didn't seem to have anything to do with the Circle.

message 27: by Elissa (new)

Elissa  (littlebitofe) I read Showdown...it was VERY creepy!!! I did like the way it tied into Black, Red and White...but it was much creepier than I expected.

message 28: by Abby (new)

Allison wrote: "Michael wrote: "Oh my gosh! GREEN IS AMAZING! I am about halfway through it, but now here is my revised reading order for the Books of History Chronicles. Keep in mind that this is just my opini..."
Have you read Saint? Saint might be the one that explains the connection with House.

message 29: by Ally (new)

Ally Abby wrote: "Allison wrote: "Michael wrote: "Oh my gosh! GREEN IS AMAZING! I am about halfway through it, but now here is my revised reading order for the Books of History Chronicles. Keep in mind that this ..."

No, I haven't read Saint. The only Paradise Novel I've read is Showdown. I guess I'll have to read the other two to see the connection.

message 30: by Tori (new)

Tori | 1 comments House isn't really apart of the Circle trilogy- Dekker just ties all his books together, which I think is really cool.
Relating to the order the books should be read, I read the Circle first, then the Paradise novels. My sister read the Paradise novels, then the Cirle trilogy, and both ways made sense to both of us. As long as you read each individual series in order, I think you'll be ok. I haven't read green, or the Lost books, but those are at the top of my reading list. I will also say, I LOVED the last book of the Paradise novels- but I won't spoil it :)

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 5 comments So I have read Black, Red, White, Green-- Sinner (starting Saint, and Showdown)... then I am going to read Chosen, Infidel, Renegade, Chaos, Lunatic, Elyon.

Also I have read tons of his other books which I highly recommend. Very good, Skin was really creepy.

message 32: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 6 comments I hope Ted Dekker writes more related books!

message 33: by Torie (new)

Torie (keybender) | 2 comments Michael Wrote: "...in the Paradise Books is Marsuvees BLACK. In Skin, the villain is Sterling RED. In House, Barsidious WHITE. I always thought that was great. Also, the first letter of the six lost books spells Circle, and they are set in the same world (mostly) as the Circle Trilogy"

GAAHHHHH!!! SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 34: by Torie (new)

Torie (keybender) | 2 comments So far I've read these Dekker books:
-House
-Thr3e
-Showdown
-Saint
-Adam
-Blink
-Black
-Chosen
And currently reading Red! When I'm finished, I'll probably start either Sinner or Infidel. I kinda want to rotate among series, so that I don't lose track of what's happening in each. Plus I just want some variety anyway. ;)

message 35: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) Me (Series)-
The Circle Cycle
The Paradise Novels
The Lost Books

(That is 14.)

message 36: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee  (writerforhisglory) | 5 comments I read Black first, not knowing that Showdown, Saint, and Sinner were apart of the series (in a way). Ted explains in the book of Green that it can either be read first or last, but Green hadn't come out til after, so I, of course, had to read it after I read the other three. I then went and started with Saint (since we didn't have Showdown), and then Sinner. I found myself glued to the Circle series books, not being able to put them down. But (with it being fantisy) I couldn't believe how he put a lot of reality into them. Such as (and sorry if I spoil it for some) Rachel dying. I thought for sure she was going to pull through, but I found myself in tears along with Thomas. And in Sinner? It was like I was there with Katrinna, experiencing who I really was through Johnny's eyes. Ted Dekker truly allows you to enter into the world of Thomas Hunter and Johnny Drake with the way he writes and pulls you in...further and further. I had only recently become a "big reader" when I started reading Black, so I found it boring...but then I kept going, and couldn't put it down. I developed my finger-nail-chewing habit because of these books :)They are truly amazing, and I would have to say that out of all the authors I read (which consists of about twenty different authors), Ted Dekker is totally my favorite!
Here are the one's I have read...so far:
Black, red, White, Green
Saint, Sinner
Thr3e
Thunder of Heaven
Burn, Kiss (with co-writter, Erin Healy)
And I hope to read Immanuels Veins soon...and Forbidden, but of course it's not ever at the library :)
I have a lot to read, and I can't wait to read each of them!

message 37: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee  (writerforhisglory) | 5 comments Wait...so I'm confused...Is aren't the Paradise novels just, like, commics? I thought they were...that's what you see on Amazon, anyway...but I guess that may not be correct :)

message 38: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee  (writerforhisglory) | 5 comments Abby wrote: "I have only read Blink, and I really liked it. I didn't realize Blink of an Eye was different, I thought they just changed the title to match the movie.
My favorite Dekker books are Thr3e and Showdown, and I am pretty much in love with Johnny and Thomas Hunter :)
Stephanie replied: "Haha, right there with you! I melted into my seat everytime Thomas kissed Rachelle, imagining it was me! :) Hey, i look enough like Rachelle to pass as her; long blond hair, and...okay, so I'll need green contacts, so what?! lol! If Kevin wasn't so out there, I'd like him too...I do, anyway!

message 39: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) Stephanie wrote: "Wait...so I'm confused...Is aren't the Paradise novels just, like, commics? I thought they were...that's what you see on Amazon, anyway...but I guess that may not be correct :)"

All of the books have graphic novel counterparts. Those may have been what you saw.

message 40: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee  (writerforhisglory) | 5 comments Maniac the Brainiac *Thing 7* wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Wait...so I'm confused...Is aren't the Paradise novels just, like, commics? I thought they were...that's what you see on Amazon, anyway...but I guess that may not be correct :)"

Maniac the Brainiac *Thing 7* wrote: "All of the books have graphic novel counterparts. Those may have been what you saw."

Ooh, okay. But there are actually books, then? Other than the graphic ones, yes?

message 41: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 6 comments yeah theyre real books

message 42: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee  (writerforhisglory) | 5 comments Jared wrote: "yeah theyre real books"

Ooh! Fantastic! I cannot wait to read them! Thank you!