Black Coffee discussion

Archives > July Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments

July seems to put lots of people in the mood for eating! Just look at all of the food holidays for July!

http://www.thenibble.com/fun/more/fac...

Grilling -- Ice Cream -- Blueberries

This month make at least one of your reading choices relate to food in some way.

The title The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

The cover The Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoy

The subject Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin

You decide!

You can record your books here or use the widget
https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 2: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (unchartedwithlulu) | 2355 comments Mod
My goal for this month is 8. My theme read will be Dancing on the Edge of the Roof by Sheila Williams.

At forty-one, Juanita Lewis is running away from home, courtesy of a one-way ticket to Montana, a place that seems about as far away from the violence and poverty of the Columbus, Ohio, projects as the moon. She wants adventure and excitement–if such things exist for a pre-menopausal African American woman with three grown, deadbeat children.

Juanita’s new life in Paper Moon, Montana, begins at a local diner where a culinary face-off with chef and owner Jess Gardiner finds Juanita in front of Jess’s stove serving up home cookin’ that lures the townsfolk like a magic spell. And suddenly Juanita, who was just passin’ through, now has a job by popular demand.

Out here in this wide-open space, Juanita’s heart can no longer hide, especially when she sees herself through the eyes of the wonderful and eccentric people of this down-to-earth town. She’s happy in Paper Moon; she’s found a home, but can she stay? And then there’s Jess. She has always dreamed of romance, but she never planned on falling in love.

message 3: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Ooh that one sounds good Lulu!

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments My goal is 13 and I have no idea what my theme read is (I'm terrible with them reads, lol).

message 5: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments If you read the group read, it qualifies. Honey in the title :0)

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Oh, I forgot about that. I guess I have one after all xD

message 7: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Lots of books on my list qualify for this theme including the July Group read. A Taste of Honey: Stories

If I have time, I might add The Kitchen House, Baking Cakes in Kigali, Garden Spells, or Tomato Girl

I'll go for 10 again. Maybe this month I will make it.

message 8: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Lol

message 9: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Glad you are joining us Marisa. Your theme choice looks good.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments I will once again say 15 and the challenge for me this book will be to read more than just a couple of books as it seems that too many on my July tbr list are BABs (400+ pages).

My July theme book will be Sex, Lies & Sweet Tea by Kris Calvert.

message 11: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Jul 02, 2014 12:28PM) (new)

I am going to say 5 books. And my monthly theme book will be (yes I'm cheating) A Taste of Honey. lol
1. A Taste of Honey
2. Jazz by Toni Morrison
3. King Leopold's Ghost
4. If I Should Die Before I Wake
5. Paradise by Toni Morrison

message 12: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Kisha, you're gonna OD on Toni Morrison. lol

message 13: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

lol I'm trying to reach my "author challenge" with bernice mcfadden and toni morrison lol

message 14: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Ok Kisha! I'm starting on Jazz.

message 15: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Did I hear you say buddy read? Lol

message 16: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Oh yes you did!!

message 17: by Lamarr (new)

Lamarr | 52 comments Hello everyone! Since I am new to this group. I am going to start out slow. My theme read for this month will be
"Georgia's Cafe: You Learn Something Everyday at Georgia's Café" by Karen D. Terry

What is it about?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

My goal to read this month is 10. I have read 7 books so far this month (2 or 3 were short ones).

message 18: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Thanks Lamarr! Good luck with your 10 book challenge you can do it!

message 19: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Welcome Lamarr! Sounds like you have a good start already. You should have no problem reading 10 :0)

message 20: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

So...this month absolutely sucked for me. I didn't even come close to my goal. Although I've got 3 more days to read, I'm throwing in the towel. LOL

message 21: by Londa (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:49AM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Some months are just like that Lulu. I FINALLY reached my goal this month. I think the last time I did that was February or March.

EDITED TO ADD: I checked and I haven't completed my goals since..... December 2013!! I should really be proud of myself this month LOL

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments What were everyone's favorite books this month?

message 23: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Yay Londa!!!!

message 24: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Anastasia wrote: "What were everyone's favorite books this month?"

My 5 *****
The Girl with All the Gifts
A Taste of Honey: Stories

Also very very good 4 ****
The Pearl that Broke Its Shell

Lulu wrote: "Yay Londa!!!!"
Thanks!

message 25: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "Some months are just like that Lulu. I FINALLY reached my goal this month. I think the last time I did that was February or March.

EDITED TO ADD: I checked and I haven't completed my goals since....."

Way to go Londa!!!

message 26: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "What were everyone's favorite books this month?"

My 5 *****
The Girl with All the Gifts
A Taste of Honey: Stories

Also very very..."

Glad you enjoyed The Pearl Who Broke Its Shell. Friends also have been recommending to me. This is now my audio read - still at the beginning but am enjoying.

In fact there is a nonfiction book The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan by Jenny Nordberg that speaks to the subject of "bacha posh."

I enjoy reading books that allows me to understand about cultural/society practices outside the norm of my world. Sometimes they baffle my mind.

In some ways The Pearl reminds me of a book I read last year, If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan. An excellent book that I enjoyed despite it being a YA read. There I learned that while homosexuality is illegal in Saudi Arabia and carries severe penalties, sexual reassignment is legal.

message 27: by Beverly (new)

message 28: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Thinking about it....I think my favorite read for this month was The Living is Easy by Dorothy West.

I also enjoyed A Taste of Honey: Stories and Dancing on the Edge of the Roof