Language & Grammar discussion

Grammar Central > Eats Shoots and Leaves

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I have been planning to read this book for a while. It is all about grammer. Have any of you read it?

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Hi, Veronica,

I have not read this book, but I love the anecdote about commas that goes with the title. Students love it, too.

Anyone else...?

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 15999 comments Mod
The SO (otherwise known as the hub) bought this for me for xmas last year. I was completely underwhelmed.

R

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz It's been on my TBR mountain for about 2 years now and I keep meaning to read it but something else tends to get ahead of it. I gave it as a gift and the person said it was hilarious. Another really funny one is Bill Bryson's THE MOTHER TONGUE. That's a laugh out loud funny book on grammar and why English turned out the way it did--and you don't have to be interested in grammar or language to think it's funny.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

i read a grammar in college that was amusing and easy to understand
i thought the title was "pritcherts practical grammar"
i may have the guy's name spelled incorrectly but i couldn't find it on goodreads search
i may be able to find it doing a google search

i liked it

as i vaguely recall his handling of pronouns was helpful as were other passages and methods for remembering particular things

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka I love it; I know other people who loathe it.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I loved it. I gave it a 5 star rating.

message 8: by Natalya (new)

Natalya | 7 comments Ha,ha, what a coincidence! This week one of my students told me this joke in the English class, now I've joined the group and what do I see -- :)
Suppose I should read it too!

message 9: by Ken (last edited Mar 09, 2008 04:20AM) (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Yay. Another teacher. (OK, we like all walks of life here... it's just that we know these teachers need support).

Natalya, I hope you walk past the Principal's Office and over to the Welcome thread to introduce yourself. You know, all the good stuff, like the age of your charges and what cool -- and not so -- books you teach. Yes, you can tell the panda story, too.

P.S. Do you really live in the Ukraine and speak Russian (or possibly Ukranian, for all I don't know)? Are you anywhere near Yasnaya Polyana?

message 10: by rivka (new)

rivka <-- former teacher

But I got better. ;)

message 11: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
What was the cure?

message 12: by rivka (new)

rivka Getting a job in college administration. ;D

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Hmn. Do you need an extra degree (like black belt) to get that job? I would love to administer (instead of afflict) for once...

message 14: by rivka (last edited Mar 12, 2008 02:34AM) (new)

rivka Nope, just a bachelor's. And some luck -- the job pretty much landed in my lap.

To clarify, some positions request or require a master's; mine doesn't.

message 15: by Ken (last edited Mar 12, 2008 02:37AM) (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Darn. I have a master's (and a lap!), but no such luck. Anyway, it's off to the mines for me (cue whistling dwarves and waving, teary-eyed Snow White).

Later, gators...

message 16: by Natalya (new)

Natalya | 7 comments Er.. Haven't been here for quite some time :)
Hey, Newengland! Yes, I REALLY live in Ukraine :)) It's not that dangerous, you know ;) And, of course, I speak Ukrainian! But you're right, everyone here also speaks (or at least understands)Russian - mostly because of some decades in the USSR, I'd say.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Natalya -- Hi. Good to hear from you again. I wish you'd hang around more because I am a Russophile (well, only because of the literature) and would probably be a Ukrainianphile, too, if you could point out some Ukrainian literature for me. I visited the USSR once, but not the Ukraine. Sorry.

message 18: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
NE! You went to the USSR...on a plane?

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Si, senora. And to England, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Florida, Colorado, Arizona, Illinois, and California. I flew plenty before I

dropped

and

stopped.

message 20: by Ruth (new)

I went to the USSR while it was still the USSR. Aeroflot is an experience in itself.

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Yes, I flew on an Aero-Flop jet to the USSR and THEN, even more exciting, from Moscow to Leningrad on an Aeroflop puddle-jumper (and lived to tell about it).

It was like flying on planes made in K-Mart garden centers (by drunk gardeners paid minimum wage).

message 22: by Ruth (new)

With the head of the passenger in front of you on your lap.

In Bukhara, they used flashlights to lead us across a weed-infested tarmac to what I'm sure was a WWII prop plane that I trembled on all the way to Tashkent.

How about that angle of takeoff?

R

message 23: by Natalya (new)

Natalya | 7 comments Hey, hey! I didn't mean to start here conversation about USSR :)))) Since it's not Ukraine, and it was always hostile to Ukraine, and so on and so forth.. Just recollect Orwell's "1984" - almost naturalistic picture.
Besides, it is still a touchy subject here at my place: period of recovery, you know. And there are people who feel nostalgic towards USSR, so I always try to avoid discussions on the topic not to offend somebody.
So, Back To Literature ;)) Newengland, ask me everything you like about Ukrainian literature, I'll try to invent a resonable answer :) And be ready that I ask back!

message 24: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
OK, if you had to nominate ONE Ukrainian novelist and ONE Ukrainian poet for people of the world to read (assuming it is available in translation), who would it be?

And yes, I've heard that the Russian people (many of them) get nostalgic about Stalin, of all people. Amazing. But the country was "strong" then, and nationalism is a powerful opiate to the masses (Karl Marx had it wrong, blaming religion).

message 25: by Natalya (new)

Natalya | 7 comments Hmmm, now that is an impossible task, Newenglan! Let me have three variants :)
First one is about my favourite (that I like and consider to be one of the best)
-novelist:Ostap Vyshnya (Остап Вишня), 1880-1956
-poet: Vasyl' Stus (Василь Стус), 1938-1985.

to be continued... :)

Well, I feel I'm inclined to accept Orwell's idea about "totalitarizm" as a powerful machine of destroying mind and individuality. And perhaps, that is why those with lost identity want to go back..

message 26: by Natalya (new)

Natalya | 7 comments Second variant! Writers that impressed me most:

-novelist (books for children): Vsevolod Nestaiko (Всеволод Нестайко), esp. his book "In the Land of Reflections of Sunrays" (horrible translation by me:) in Ukrainian there is one word for this "reflections", if to translate word for word it would sound like "little bunny"))

-poet: Lina Kostenko, her poetry is so rich in images, and so melodic that it seems unbelievable it can be so simple.