Romance Society discussion

Other Stuff > Romantic Gestures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments What's the most romantic gesture you've ever made, or received? Or what's the most unusual? Or what's the funniest? What attempted romantic gestures completely failed??

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments My Love once gave me a ring (another excerpt from my story):

She had previously given me her favourite ring, a silver ring with an oval amber stone in it, to ‘mind’ for her. And to remind me of her.

While I was in the shower one morning, she had left it at the bedside, with my watch, knowing I would find it there. I knew, as soon as I saw it, that she had put it there for me, and that it was her own beautifully delicate way of giving it to me. But, I had been reluctant to take it at first. I knew it was her favourite ring and I couldn’t remember ever seeing her without it. And to me, it was more than that, it was not just a ring, it was an intimate part of her. It was a promise of intimacy to come. A precious part of her that I could have, and He could not.

message 3: by Nathan (last edited Aug 06, 2009 06:24PM) (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments For my most recent girlfriend, I made her a gift that I thought would be funny. We had known each other as very young kids but had not seen each other for 15-ish years. We met again at a party thrown by a mutual friend and one of the things she said was that she remembered going to birthday parties at my folk's house, and the party treats my Mum used to make. Especially, the "Top Hats" (melted chocolate poured into a paper bun/muffin mould with a marshmallow stuck in the middle).

So, for our first date, I made some, wrapped them in a pretty box, and brought them with me, wondering if she'd just think I was a bit odd?

Guys, take note, first she was impressed that I'd simply brought a gift for her. Then, when she opened the box... she nearly started crying she was so touched by the thought and effort that I'd put into making the gift. I had, obviously, wanted to kiss her, but after that, she couldn't wait and kissed me first :)

And I was only trying to make her laugh!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments my love was playing the piano and i came up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, rested my head on his shoulder. he stopped. put his hands on mine and turned his head... the world stopped for what seemed luck a couple seconds... but alas! the front door opened and it began spinning again too soon...

message 5: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary ...in other words Mae.....with a single touch of love everything turns to Eternity...

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments or into a sweet oblivion of nothing but him...or i guess for you sir jerin it would be of her

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments it was a mix of every sweet and wonderful emotion a person could have... sir jerin... it was wonderful. have you found her yet?

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2009 11:16PM) (new)

Megan wrote: "my love was playing the piano and i came up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, rested my head on his shoulder. he stopped. put his hands on mine and turned his head..."

That's so sweet, it kind of reminds me of Twilight, when Edward played Bella her own lullaby on the piano and she started tearing up at it's beauty. Even though I didn't like the two characters, that part was always romantic. And in your own way, that moment, was it's own lullaby.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments okay.... just so you know... he had been playing me the lullaby that he had written for me... *blushes* oh shoot, nearly crying...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

:D So I wasn't too far off the mark.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments no... my life really resembles bella's actaully. i have another guy that's after my love that really resembles jacob. multiple ppl have brought it to my attention and it's really weird. my girlfriend and i joke that the author stalked me so she could write her story sorta realistically.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol. But you don't seem to be willing to do anything for hallucinations, though. (New Moon)

And you have a guy in your life that resemble's Jacob? How so?

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments he's ripped, really warm to the touch, always wanting to be with me... says he's in love with me. has a temper... etc etc...

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments i don't. but i understand why she had to choose edward... steven is just so... unreal and wonderful and not perfect... but i wouldn't want to change a thing... if i had met corbin before then maybe it'd be a harder decision but... yeah.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2009 11:20PM) (new)

If there were a Jacob in my life, I'd probably be extremely joyful. ((Yes, yes. I have it bad for a fictional character. Frown upon me. :D))

Anyway, I'm sure Corbin and Jacob have some differences, if not quite a few.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments yeah. corbin can't turn hairy on command... even if he wants to. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

:D Lol.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments seriously! even he calls himself my jacob. he hates steve. the only reason he doesn't fight him is because i wouldn't forgive him.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

He's read the books? The only thing to complete the cycle is for him to call Steve, Edward.

message 20: by Nathan (last edited Aug 09, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments

Megan wrote: "my love was playing the piano and i came up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, rested my head on his shoulder. he stopped. put his hands on mine and turned his head... the world stopped for..."

Was beginning to think that no-one had anything to add here and was gonna delete the thread! Thanks for sharing Mae - and, if you think about it and can still remember that feeling, it's a moment that really does last forever :)

As for all the Twilight stuff though, you two have lost me there! I nearly bought the book while waiting for a friend in the airport because it's been mentioned before, but I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to do it... is it as much a story JUST for you ladies as I think it is?

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments which he has Melzz.
Nathan, the reason i read it was because my friends told me there was action. not only mushy romance. read it.

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Megan wrote: "yeah. corbin can't turn hairy on command... even if he wants to. :)"

Is that something you ladies really look for in a guy? Like, jeez, what are we mere mortals meant to do to compete??

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "Is that something you ladies really look for in a guy? Like, jeez, what are we mere mortals meant to do to compete??"

God no. Megan was just saying that her friend Corbin is like one of the characters, minus the whole turning into a giant werewolf thing.

message 24: by Nathan (last edited Aug 09, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

Melzz wrote: ((Yes, yes. I have it bad for a fictional character. Frown upon me. :D))

We're not here to judge Melzz. We're not here to judge ;)

Besides, can't frown at you, unless I frown at myself too! But doesn't everyone fantasise about fictional characters now and again?

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments yes. the man that i love has no outstanding powers. although... having a friend that could turn into a furry lil animal would be worth risking his temper... wait... on second hand... it scares me sometimes and that's without him having claws. one time i thought he was gonna rail on steve and another steve wanted to murder him...

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments i have to admit... a lot of girls have fallen in love with my sketches of men... even me.

message 27: by Nathan (last edited Aug 09, 2009 06:00PM) (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments Yikes. I'm confused now. None of your posts showed up as I was writing mine...

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments i know. it happened to me too. my last post was in reply to your reply to Melzz comment.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "Besides, can't frown at you, unless I frown at myself too! But doesn't everyone fantasise about fictional characters now and again?"

It's not a fantasy as much as I smile whenever it says he smiles or grins. It's an odd reaction to have when reading. I can't help it.

Megan wrote: "although... having a friend that could turn into a furry lil animal would be worth risking his temper... wait... on second hand... it scares me sometimes and that's without him having claws."

Next your going to say you are clumsy, and read Wuthering Heights over and over again.

message 30: by Nathan (last edited Aug 09, 2009 06:13PM) (new)

Megan wrote: "i have to admit... a lot of girls have fallen in love with my sketches of men... even me."

You draw your own fantasies?? How liberating is that :D

message 31: by Nathan (new)

Melzz wrote: "It's not a fantasy as much as I smile whenever it says he smiles or grins. It's an odd reaction to have when reading. I can't help it."

Wowsers! That IS bad. And not in a Michael Jackson (RIP) "good" way ;)

Seriously, must be great writing though.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "Wowsers! That IS bad."

[image error]

message 33: by Nathan (last edited Aug 09, 2009 07:22PM) (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments Lol :D a Lot.

message 34: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (warnapoko) | 117 comments Oh, I mean, eh, sorry Melzz. I take it back!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

No, it's cool. It's the expected response. Plus, I take solace in knowing a few girls who have it a lot worse than me. Especially those Edward fans, I mean really? You love Rob Pattinson because he pretends to be the character he plays? Seriously? And they stalk him too. Jeeze.

message 36: by Nathan (new)

Nathan wrote: "Wowsers! That IS bad."

You know I'm only kidding, right?

Had to look up Rob Patt. Question: He and Hayden Christensen, separated at birth? They're identi-kit twins! Except Hayden's got a lightsaber...

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments no i've never read withering heights but my friends claim i'm the clumsiest person they know. i disagree... at least i've never broken a bone.

the movie edward is ugly. doesn't do edward justice. not that i'm bias or anything but steve woulda been a ton better... they would have only have had to put on the sparkle effect. he's already white enough.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2009 06:55PM) (new)

Nathan wrote: "Had to look up Rob Patt. Question: He and Hayden Christensen, separated at birth? They're identi-kit twins! Except Hayden's got a lightsaber... "

Nathan, remind me never to ask you to do research on celebrities. What did you do? Search the Enquirer? Lol.

Megan wrote: "not that i'm bias"

Lol. Megan, you love him. You are totally biased.

message 39: by Nathan (new)

Melzz wrote: "What did you do? Search the Enquirer?"

Hey! I'm not crazy! At least I don't think so... Not sure how to post an image, so have put the ones I found here:
http://tinyurl.com/lolw2p

Megan wrote: "not that i'm bias"

Haven't seen the movie, haven't read the book (yet), but Mae, I'm afraid I'm with Melzz on this one!

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments hey! i can be unbiased with the ppl i love...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Definition of bias: "Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology or result, especially when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective"

So your telling me you have no preference to him, at all? There's nothing wrong with bias. ;) He's probably your favorite person. Even though, you are (a little) biased, I believe you when you say he'd make a good Edward. :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, this is an excerpt from a survey I posted on Twilight lovers and Melzz so happily responded to...I think it's an awesome romantic gesture explanation....I hope your not too mad Melzz...I couldn't help it.... :)

The question is about a girl (Bella) choosing between two amazing guys in her life (Edward, and Jacob), both with great and not so great sides.....I think it's perfect...

Q: If you were in Bella's position, who would you choose, Jacob or Edward? Why?

Jacob. He was there for her through the tough times. He was there when she crumbled by the mention of Edward's name. He gave his life for her time and time again, and always put her before his selfish needs. I would never have to mask my emotion for fear of making Jake uncomfortable, he had thick skin. He could eat with me. Make a the choice to watch me sleep, even though it would leave him deprived. When I was cold, which I often am, he could wrap me up in his arms and warm me and my heart. He would know everything about me, cause he would take notice. He would be honest, and tell me when somethings wrong, not fearing that I would take it badly. Jacob doesn't turn into a statue when he's upset, he doesn't hide behind any facadé. He let's you know exactly how he's feeling. He would bring spontaneity to my life. He wouldn't be an eclipse. Jacob Black would be my Sun.

message 43: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Tahapary ..I could do that.... more poeticly

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course you could Jerin... :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Britty wrote: "Ok, this is an excerpt from a survey I posted on Twilight lovers and Melzz so happily responded to...I think it's an awesome romantic gesture explanation....I hope your not too mad Melzz..."

I'm not mad, Britty. I'm actually flattered that you liked my answer enough to post it. I thought no one would read it. :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments you posted that Melzz? wow. that's amazing... i hadn't looked at jacob in that depth before

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a very deep person. *says solemnly*

Lol.

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan (ninja_angel_bookworm) | 288 comments :)
oh! i have another romantic gesture that happened to me just last night....
we were in his car, he was driving me home. we were laughing and i turned and saw his beautiful smile. i reached over and ran my fingers through his hair....
we reached my house and he stopped the car. as i was getting out i turned one last time to just see his wonderful face... next thing i know... and then i was so dizzy that he put his hand on mine and gave me another one of his crooked smiles...
i floated up to bed.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

sounds wonderful!

« previous 1 3