Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Q&A for Non-Members > Questions and Answers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2310 comments Mod
If you're a non-member but are interested in learning about and getting to know about our church, what we teach, how we live, etcetera you can ask questions here.

Follow the rules, be civil and respectful, and we'll try to answer your questions as best as possible!

message 2: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (NameSavannah-catcherinsoftball) | 236 comments VERY good idea Jayda!

message 3: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Hehe, thanks ^^

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments Do you have church every Sunday? What are your services like? Do you have the Eurcharist, or do you not believe in that? I can't keep track of which denominations believe in it and which don't. ;)

message 5: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Yes, we have church every Sunday. and when you get to a certain age we even have it during a day of the week. My ward has it every Tuesday, but my friend's have it every Thursday. It just depends on where you live, I guess.

Our services are three hours long. The first hour is Sacrament Meeting. We sing hymns, deal with ward business (poisition releases, callings, baptisms, etcetera), we partake of the sacrament, and we hear talks. On the first Sunday of the month, however, we have testimony meeting where, after the sacrament, anyone can get up and bear their testimony.

The second hour is Sunday School. There's Primary for the younger kids, and nursery for the very young kids. Sunday School is where we learn about a certain part of the scriptures. This year we're studying Doctrine and Covenants.

The last hour for the women is Young Women and Relief Society. I'm in Young Women right now, but in two years when I'm eighteen will be in Relief Society. Young Women is 12-18 girls. Relief Society is 18 and older. Young than twelve are in the primary.

I'm not quite sure what the guys do since I'm not a guy and I've never really asked xD

I'm not sure what the Eurcharist is, so now, we don't :)

message 6: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Aug 20, 2009 05:27AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments The Eucharist is also called the Holy Communion. What do you mean when you say that you "partake of the sacrament". They may be the same thing.

What's a ward?

What are the Young Women and the Relief Society?

What do you mean by "bear testimony"?

In the message you sent me, what do you believe each level of heaven is like? Who gets into the different levels?

Why was the Book of Mormon called that?

And thank you for introducing me to the group. :) It's really great to be in a group where everyone is sane and respects each other.

message 7: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Okay, I'll try to respond to these questions tomorrow when I have more time :)

IF ANYONE WANTS TO, THEY CAN ANSWER HER QUESTIONS FOR ME.
It would actually be kind of helpful! ^^

Otherwise, I'll explain tomorrow! :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments Thanks, it's all really interesting. I love learning about different religions. :D

Don't worry about it. I'm in no rush. :)

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "The Eucharist is also called the Holy Communion. What do you mean when you say that you "partake of the sacrament". They may be the same thing.

What's a ward?

What are the Young Women and t..."

Hey, I can answer questions!

OK, I think you may be right about the Holy Communion, we believed the sacrement was started by christ at the last supper. When he gave the apostles the bread and wine, that was the first "sacrement". We eat bread and water every sunday, bread to remember His body, the physical suffering he went through to to save us from physical death, through the ressurection, and water to remember the blood he shed for us in the atonement for our sins, to save us from spiritual death, hell. I hope that makes sense I'm not sure how well I explained it.(:

A ward is a congregation of ppl. Because our church is world wide with 13 million ppl, we dont just have one meeting house with one congregation. Each congregation is called a ward and usually 2-3 (or more) wards meet in one building at differnet times.example: one at 9am one @ 11am and one @1pm

Young Women is a program our church has for all girls 12-17. We are in three classes Beehives (12&13) Mia Maids (14&15) and Laurels (16&17) (BTW i just realized how wierd those names sound lol) in our meetings on sunday we have a teacher who prepares lessons and we sit and listen and discuss different parts of the gospel. It kind of helps remind us what we're supposed to be doing and I think theyre really uplifting. Then on the day during the week we have activities that we plan ahead of time that are fun and somtimes spiritual too.

Relief society is kind of the same things except for the 18 and up ladies. They meet on sunday and have a lesson, and they have a differnet meeting once every 3ish months. But they do more too. I'm not in it so im not sure of alot of what they do but like they sign up to bring meals to people when thyre sick, they do alot of service and take care of the rest of the ward basically lol.

I need to go to bed too lol so Ill just explain two easy things shortly.

The book of mormon is called that because we believe there was a prophet on this continent about 400 AD Named Mormon. He got together some of the records starting at 600 BC (until his time) from other prophets before him (on this continent) and abridged them and compiled them together into a book then he called it the book of mormon because he compiled it, get it? We think he was pretty cool. Hes one of my favorites in the Book Of Mormon. (BTW thats how got nick named the Mormons but we're dont mind cause he was pretty great. My moms says its like people call the lutherans, lutherans because of luther.)

Last thing bearing testimony in testimony meetings is when theres like 40 minutes for people to volunterily come up to the pulpit and just say what they believe and know about the gospel. For example I know christ is my savoiur and I know the bible and the book of mormon are true and I know I am a daughter of god and he loves me. I really know those things are true. So people come up and express what they believe and know.

So I hope this isnt TMI I just realized how long it is, it helps you and you can understand it... sometimes I just tend to ramble lol.

If I missed anything, anybody wants to add anything or I got something wrong totally feel free to say so, Im a pretty newbee at explaining these kinds of things! Good night!

message 10: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Wow, thank you Lindsey!
That helps a lot :)

message 11: by ♫ Keeanna ♥ (new)

♫ Keeanna ♥ (keeanna1) We also believe that there are 3 levels of heaven.
1.Telestial Kingdom
2.Terrestrial Kingdom
3.Celestial Kingdom.
We all would like to be in the Celestial Kingdom because it is paradise beyond our imagination. We believe that the Telestial Kingdom is a level above hell, but not that great. The Terrestial kingdom is where you would go (To our beiefs) If you were a good preson but you wern't a member of our church, or people who didn't quite follow the commandments or something but were members. The Celestial Kingdom is the most amazing place and you would go there if you were a faithful member of the church.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about something!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments Thank you so much for that explanation, Lindsey and Keeanna! I really appreciate all of that information. I find different religions so interesting.

The Holy Communion is the same thing. (Why must the English language have so many different names for the same thing?)

We have something like wards (parishes), but it applies to everyone who attends a specific church.

What are the details on each of the levels of Heaven? I'm especially interested in different religions' views on the afterlife. :)

message 13: by Halley (new)

Halley (Jacketgirl) | 103 comments I would explain it, but I'm not very good. I often confuse people.

message 14: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments I dont have time to explain it right now but here is a link to some of our scriptures that will tell you. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/76 (if the link does not work just copy and paste to your address engine at the top of your internet page)It may be difficult to understand (it is to me sometimes and its the scripture of my religion!) cause the language is kind of similar to the bible but you will probably understand it if you just keep reading and skip over the parts you dont understand. But I am totally willing to answer any questions you have about it too. It is really super long so if you want you can pick out the parts you want to read. The first paragraph (in italics) tells like the historical background of what was happening at the time they had the revelation. the second summerises (sp?) what verses say which things (example vrses 5-10 say the mysteries of the kingdom will be r... etc)It is a link to lds.org which has all our other scriptures on it electronically too if you are intrested in that (including the bible, yes we do believe in that too, lots of people dont know that). So there you go, tell me if i'm over loading you and ill be happy to try to put it into modern english for you another day. Your welcome! I dont mind at all!

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Savannah wrote: "VERY good idea Jayda!"

yes

message 16: by ☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (last edited Mar 25, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Thanks, it's all really interesting. I love learning about different religions. :D

Don't worry about it. I'm in no rush. :)"

What do you want to know ? I love anwsering questions.

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments ♫ Keeanna ♥ wrote: "We also believe that there are 3 levels of heaven.
1.Telestial Kingdom
2.Terrestrial Kingdom
3.Celestial Kingdom.
We all would like to be in the Celestial Kingdom because it is paradise beyond..."

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi)
I can awser the rest of the qestions .
1.What do you mean by a tesimony ? Well, a testimony is some thing you gain throught knowledge of the gospel.For exsample : I'd like to bare my testimony that I know this chruch is ture and I know my heavenly father loves me and I know Jos

You are right

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Rachel ,
I will answer the rest of your qestions .

1. What do you mean by "bear testimony"? Well, a testimony is some thing you gain throught knowledge of the gospel.
2.Why was the Book of Mormon called that? Because Mormon buried the book of mormon and he was the last person to write ing the book of mormon .
(correct me if I am wrong .)

Any other qestions let me know . :) :D

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments Thank you for the answers, everyone! You're all so helpful!

So, Mormon was a person? *facepalm* I feel a bit dumb right now. :P

Thank you for the link! It's really interesting.

Another question: Is Mormon prayer generally more formal or more informal? Or both?

message 20: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Yeah, Mormon was a person :) Don't worry - you're not Mormon, so you wouldn't have known :)

Well, it depends on what you mean by formal/informal? It's extremely reverent, and we try and do it every day, and often. It's not like we call five people up and scream at the top of our lungs for God to hear us (that happened at a Baptist church I went to a couple of times... super creepy). We're reverent and quiet and we try to use thee, thou, thine, thy, etc. Is that what you meant?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 68 comments Thanks! That's part of what I meant. Also, do you have set prayers that you memorize, or do you make up your own personalized prayers?

I've been to a Baptist church, but not one of the the fun, screaming ones. :P

message 22: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Well, the sacrament prayers are memorized, but as for our personal prayers we usually make them up as we go. I mean, we follow a basic thing to follow - adress Heavenly Father, thank Him for things, ask Him for things... there might have been something else after that, and then closing the prayer "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Oh man... That was beyond scary. It was NOT fun. You couldn't understand anything they were saying and they were yelling to try and be the loudest person so that God would hear them and... ugh... I just didn't like it. I've been to other churches too, like Methodist and Lutherin and they were all fine. The Baptist ones are the ones that really creep me out xD Haha.

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Wow. Yeah I know the feeling, its like ugh iiicky. Just like bad and creepy.

Umm responding to Caylpso... I'm pretty sure though Mormon was the one that did like 95% of the writing in the Book of Mormon (he abridged some of the records of previous generations and the abreiviated version is the Book of Mormon THATs why its named after him) but it was his son Moroni who, after Mormon died, wrote the last book and buried the plates... pretty sure.

When I was really little I went to a Catholic communion once I think, but I havn't really been to any other churches, I just have friends who are members of other churches that I talk to.

message 25: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments It's okay ( : We might wait for a response from Jayda though 'cause I might be wrong as well.

message 26: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I read in the seminary manual that Mormon was the one who abridged everything into one doctrine and that is indeed why it's called The Book of Mormon. I'm pretty sure, anyway. Moroni was the one who buried the plates :)

I haven't been to a Catholic communion. I'd love to go, though! I love going to other churches and seeing what they believe. Not for myself (I refuse to change religions - I love mine too much! :D) but for my own knowledge and information. After all, man should not be ignorant - God said so himself :) Anyway, I don't like very many other religions nearly as much as my own. I don't feel nearly as comfortable there as I do in Mormonism.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments K, thanks.

Yes, I think its very interesting too, to know what others believe.

message 28: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

No problemo :) I'm always here to help! I love answering questions! :D

I know, same here. One of my favorite quotes from a General Authority (I think President Hinckley) is something like: "We recognize the good in every other church in the world does. We do not argue, we do not debate, or anything of the kind. We simply say to people not of our faith, "You bring with you all the truth that you have, and let us see if we can add to it." That is the mission and message of the church."

That quote is so cool! :)

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Jayda wrote: "No problemo :) I'm always here to help! I love answering questions! :D

I know, same here. One of my favorite quotes from a General Authority (I think President Hinckley) is something like: "We r..."

Me too.

message 30: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Yeah it is! I have never heard that one before.

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Lindsey wrote: "Yeah it is! I have never heard that one before."

??????????????

message 32: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I'm pretty sure she was talking about the quote I posted.

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Oh ok. Thanks ( not confused any more. )

message 34: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments yeah, sorry. xD

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments That ok your still cool . =)

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Oh, gosh thanks! I know I totally am. JK! JK! ;)

message 37: by ☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (last edited Apr 14, 2010 06:01AM) (new)

☼☺Caylpso☼☺ (OceanGirl300) | 259 comments Your welcome. LoL =)

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2010 03:22PM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Thank you for the answers, everyone! You're all so helpful!

So, Mormon was a person? *facepalm* I feel a bit dumb right now. :P

Thank you for the link! It's really interesting.

Anot..."

Don't wory about it you are just new to this .You are not dumb.

message 39: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Lindsey wrote: "Wow. Yeah I know the feeling, its like ugh iiicky. Just like bad and creepy.

Umm responding to Caylpso... I'm pretty sure though Mormon was the one that did like 95% of the writing in the Book o..."

He didn't write 95% of the Book of Mormon! Alma, and Nephi, and Jacob, and all the rest wrote it. Mormon just abridged and compiled it.

message 40: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Okay I guess you could put it that way, but I said he wrote it because I was thinking the definition of 'abridge' was when you read something and put it in your own words. I guess I don't know if he actually just took some of their sermons and put them together... I have just never thought of it that way before. I always thought that he read them and put some of the prophets sermons in there and then just sort of narrated the rest. Like he read the actual history records and then rewrote them in his own words. Thats why I said Mormon wrote it. If he didn't just recopy what was in the original records he did write quite a bit of the BoM.

message 41: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Oh. I see. I don't think he would've put it in his own words though. I think it was taken directly from the other plates and just copied.

message 42: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) Maaannn, this whole conversation ended and I would have loved to be a part of it.

message 43: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Just ask questions or invite non member friends to join he group! :D

message 44: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Hopefully with active members we can get these conversations going again :)

message 45: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) Mmhmm. *tries to think of a subject*

message 46: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 20 comments Hey.. I'm not Mormon and I think this is where we're supposed to ask you questions about that, right? LIke mormonism? (is that how u say it?)

message 47: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Yep, this is where you can ask us questions :) Yeah, Mormonism is correct

message 48: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 20 comments So are all of ur parents Mormon too? Is that why you are?

message 49: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

My mom is a convert to the church and my dad was raised in the church. I suppose that you can say that's "why" I am one, but I like to say that that's just the reason I was introduced to the church, rather than why I became a member myself.

message 50: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 20 comments ya I guess that makes sense.

« previous 1 3 4