CLBB Refugees discussion

Question about series books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments To continue the subtopic, "Jessica's Bizarre Book Habits..."

I read a ton of series fiction, mostly mysteries. I absolutely have to read the books in order even if they are not connected in any major way. I also like to read some authors from their first published book to the last, although I don't always do this.

Anyone else have similar quirks?

message 2: by Charisse (new)

Charisse | 29 comments A quirk I have is when I'm buying a book... I like to hold the book in my hands, feel the weight... open it up and feel the pages ;) I hate the dime store paperbacks. If I'm going to buy a book, I'll shell out the money to buy a "nice feeling" book. Weird???

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Jessica, I'm with you on series. I've been known to stop a book anywhere if I find out it's part of a series and not the first one!

I will also re read series (sometimes) before new ones come out or if I've fallen behind to "refresh" myself (I think I'll be doing that at some point with Greeley's "Irish" series...I'm about 3 books behind!)

Since I also love series, what ones are your favorites? Only ones I've really read are the Inspector Lynley books and China Bayles.

message 4: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (moxie) | 78 comments Mod
ITA on series.

Other book/reading quirks?

I have to finish a chapter before I put a book down.
I carry a big handbag because I always have a book with me.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Oh! I thought of another one! I generally always have to have a "currently reading" book and the one I'll read after it nearby...even if I'm only 50 pages into a 500 page book. If I'm going somewhere for the weekend, I'll take both books, even though the odds are very good that I will not finish the first book, much less than have time to start the second.

Evidence: I'm about 50 pages into Jane Eyre. I actually went over to the med school library today to check out "Twilight" (yes, our med school library has a very tiny fiction section)on my 15 minute break. Alas, it was CHECKED OUT, which really made me laugh.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim De | 22 comments Jessica wrote: "To continue the subtopic, "Jessica's Bizarre Book Habits..."

I read a ton of series fiction, mostly mysteries. I absolutely have to read the books in order even if they are not connected in any..."

I too must read in order, especially mysteries with no connection - ie the Alex Cross series by Patterson. I cant STAND to read those out of order! n Its like fingernails on the chalkboard!!

message 7: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sdmomchef) | 17 comments
When I find a new to me author, and I read a book by that author, I will tend to search out other books by that author and read them immediately. For example, I read Black Out by Lisa Unger, and then when to BN and bought 2 other books by her (they didn't have her 3rd novel).

My other quirk is sort-of like Kristine's - I NEVER leave home without my book. I will even read it in the car if I am stuck waiting for a train or a really long red light. I will read a few pages while waiting for a friend to meet me at a restaurant or for coffee.

message 8: by Acomes (new)

Acomes | 8 comments Not related to series books, but I have recently noticed that the chances of me liking a book go up considerably if the book has a cottage/small house in it. I can even trace this back to books I loved as a child - my favorite parts of the Little House books were the houses they lived in (excluding the sod one).

Unfortunately, it is hard to find books on the basis of whether or not it has a cottage in it!

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Well, I guess I'm the quirky one here, because I don't mind reading series books out of order. Any author worth reading is good at weaving in enough back story to tell me what I need to know. There are some exceptions, where it's really best to have read the one before. But even with those, I'm usually okay with going back later and reading the previous book and saying, "ah, okay, now I get it."

Kristi, I'm with you on needing to finish a chapter. If a chapter ends in the middle of a "scene," sometimes I won't even stop there. This is really only because of the way my mind works. If I stop mid-chapter or mid-scene, I have the hardest time figuring out what was happening when I stopped.

Erin, I also have to have an "emergency backup book" with me! Especially if I'm going somewhere for the day, like out to Camano Island. After all, what if I decide I'm not in the mood for the one I'm currently reading? Then I could find myself bookless on the beach! :D

message 10: by Holly (last edited Aug 19, 2009 04:03PM) (new)

Holly | 4 comments Charisse wrote: "A quirk I have is when I'm buying a book... I like to hold the book in my hands, feel the weight... open it up and feel the pages ;) I hate the dime store paperbacks. If I'm going to buy a book, ..."

ABSOLUTELY! The "feel" of a book is so important. That's why I will probably never own a Kindle in spite of the fact that I am also a technology/gadget junkie.
Yep, always have to have an emergeny book handy. You never know when you might have to wait somewhere. I have been known to buy books at Sam's or Costco just because the line was long and I needed something to read while I wait.