Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > Sept/Oct book! Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 155 (155 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear Our Shared Shelf,

Roxane Gay describes her book ‘Hunger’ as a “memoir about my body”. It traverses many of the issues surrounding our human bodies, the sexual experiences we have, our relationship with food, how we feel about our own bodies and the difference gender has to play on a body… When exploring how society treats people of her size, Gay asks: “What does it say about our culture that the desire for weight loss is considered a default feature of womanhood?”

What struck me the most about the book is Roxane’s searing honesty. We know that there are many people of all genders who do not feel they can talk about their experiences - who live their lives carrying the huge burden of abuse and trauma. As the author suggests, many people do not realise the suffering that follows an act like the one Roxane experienced, and how it can completely alter the way the victim identifies with themselves and others.

While parts of the book are difficult to read, it highlights the very real damage done by sexual violence and puts you in the mind and body of someone that has to move through the world in a different way. A small insight or perspective I feel grateful for now having and understanding a little bit better.

I am also re-reading essays from Gay’s ‘Bad Feminist’. We put such high expectations on ourselves as feminists, on other feminists, and the movement as a whole. It feels like such a relief to take ownership of words like “nasty woman” and “bad feminist”. They don’t have so much power this way and maybe they remind us not to hold ourselves and others to unreasonably high standards - we are all human after all and at different moments of our learning journeys. We need to feel free to be on those journeys and make mistakes. I hope if you get time you’ll enjoy what she has to say about this too.

Love,
Emma

message 2: by James (new)

James Corprew Sounds interesting. Thanks Emma.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Mougenot thanks a lot ! this definitely sounds inspiring !

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Michael | 17 comments Sounds interesting and inspiring! Thank you Emma!

message 5: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 26 comments I actually just came across "Hunger" recently, it really does seem like it would be an interesting read based on current events worldwide that can be seen and the damage that can come from going after the perfect body or finding the perfect diet. There is a very real relationship between emotional, cognitive, physical health...the more you strive for something based on what society finds appealing, the more damage you can potentially open yourself up to. Similar to what you stated Emma, there is an interesting relationship between gender and the view of the body. I will be looking for these books the next chance I get. Thanks for the share Emma!

Cheers

message 6: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments looks interesting :)

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Hello to you to Emma :) do we have the publisher of the book and where we can find the essays are they in print together or separately ?

message 8: by Sascha (new)

Sascha (smileylymie) | 14 comments Looking forward to reading another one of her brilliant books! Her work has spoken to my soul as well as my conscious...

message 9: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks Emma. Xx

message 10: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments cheeky I know but if you are still on line Emma feel free to join our OSS Skype look for Agnes Szalkowska she's the only one

message 11: by Rita (new)

Rita (cifose) | 2 comments Yes! I'm very excited for this one. :)

❦ Anna Francesca (annafrancesca3) | 57 comments This is brilliant. I have just bought both books and look forward to learning and discovering more about feminism and with in my own femininity. Thank you.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Stewart | 7 comments I read Bad Feminist last year and liked many of the essays. Looking forward to another book by Roxane. Her TED Talk "Confessions of a Bad Feminist" was also quite good.

message 14: by Griselda (new)

Griselda (graygal) This will be very triggering as I suffer from body image dysmorphia and eating disorders...but I am still looking forward to reading it.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Zimmermann | 3 comments Sounds Great...Thanks Emma.

message 16: by Pam (last edited Sep 09, 2017 06:03PM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
This is going to be an emotionally tough read.

Gay touches on a few of the ideas of Hunger in her earlier book Bad Feminist. I applaud her ability to discuss her pain . As well as her commitment to the idea that life itself does not have trigger warnings or ratings attached to it, so why should our "entertainment".

But I do very much want to warn readers that this book will not be easy to consume.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Another one that's been on my TBR list! Looking forward to it!

message 18: by Magda (new)

Magda | 52 comments Sounds like a great choice Emma, I'm sutil reading The beauty myth but tomorrow I will buy this one. Grettings from México!

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments Thank you so much, Emma!

This one has actually been popping up on my recommendations list, so I'm excited to get into it!

message 20: by Donika (new)

Donika | 18 comments I bought this book after seeing Gay on the daily show and I didn't have the chance yet to read it, so I am very happy to have the opportunity to read it now with you all!! Thanks Emma <3 !

message 21: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments Can't wait to start this! However, I've just started Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" which is about 900 pages, so will have to finish that first... O.O

Ross wrote: "[...] do we have the publisher of the book and where we can find the essays are they in print together or separately ?"

Ross, I think she means the book "Bad Feminist": https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Both Hunger and Bad Feminist look very interesting. I think these will be great reads!

message 22: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Will there be questions for the author as a contemporary feminist and expert in the area of body image she would ideal for an interview?

These books contrast well with The Beauty Myth how about a panel where both authors could contribute. does that seem like a good idea?

message 23: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin | 25 comments So excited! "Bad Feminist" has been waiting on my shelf for quite some time, so I'll use the opportunity to finally read it:-) Thank you so much, Emma!

message 24: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments can we have a picture for oursharedshelfie I miss those :)

message 25: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Griselda wrote: "This will be very triggering as I suffer from body image dysmorphia and eating disorders...but I am still looking forward to reading it."

Careful why not let some reviews come out on the content first don't want to jeopardize your health.

message 26: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz Barbosa | 8 comments I was so excited waiting for this! Thank you Emma, let's start searching for this one on ebay ;)!

message 27: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments I hope I can make it through the difficult parts. I'm going to read this asap.

message 28: by Richa (new)

Richa Sharma (ric_743) | 9 comments finally, it sounds interesting and we will get know more.

message 29: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments oh and thank you so much Emma for adding this book.

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 9 comments Excellent choice!!

message 31: by Agnes Szalkowska (new)

Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments ok People You can found and buy this book from:

USA
https://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Memoir-...

UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Memoi...

Canada
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...

The book is only in English well so far. If I found in non English I let you know.

message 32: by Arnaud (new)

Arnaud B. | 119 comments Agnes wrote: "ok People You can found and buy this book from:

USA

UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Memoi......"

Hoping for a french release. It's not that i can't read english but sometimes... ^^

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (cloweelou) | 16 comments I've been interested in this since it came out, having heard about Bad Feminist a lot and wanting to read that. Glad I have an opportunity to finally pick up some Roxane Gay. Thanks Emma :)

message 34: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Seems very interesting, I'm ready for it! Thank you you always choose the best! I love you!

message 35: by Delphine (new)

Delphine | 23 comments Those two books seems like a very good reading. I will read them both. Thank you !!!

message 36: by James (new)

James Corprew Agnes wrote: "ok People You can found and buy this book from:

USA

UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Memoi......"

Many thanks Agnes.

message 37: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments This book sounds great! Can't wait to read it. Thanks Emma

message 38: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Hello Emma!

It's so good to see you again, online!
I will definitely see that I can read these books, squeezing them in between all the other work that I have to do (and like only half the amount I do being online here;) ).

I think you hit a bit close home with this book, I will start reading it soon!

message 39: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (yellohmaple) | 4 comments Bought both books yesterday. Can't wait for the delivery! I hadn't previously heard of the author but was intrigued by the authors style when I read the first few pages of Hunger.

message 40: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
By end of this month I will be going back home for hols, which means picking up my new Kindle, which means hopefully going back to my regular reading rhythm. Also, I've been willing to read more on Roxane's work after having read her interviews over at media like The Guardian. She won't let anyone indifferent to her thoughts and statements, that's for sure!

message 41: by Niamh (new)

Niamh Ennis | 28 comments Awesome pick, been intrigued to read Roxanne for awhile, just ordered loads for the library I work at ☺️. This group has been so helpful in picking things that will encourage girls and women to be strong and happy in being themselves and include men in the discussion. ♥️

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue Dix | 9 comments I have had both Bad Feminist and Hunger in my TBR, so this is the perfect opportunity to read them both. Thank you to Our Shared Shelf and Emma Watson for the always excellent book choices.

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments GR8!

message 44: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 32 comments Can't wait to read this one !! Seems really interesting^^

message 45: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 337 comments Thanks for the new book Emma! :)

message 46: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe | 54 comments Sounds like a good book :)

message 47: by Lasse (new)

Lasse | 16 comments Now I've been waiting a few day for a new book. And then you bring this book, it will be fascinating to read it, thanks Emma :-)

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy (nonfictionfeminist) | 3 comments I adored Bad Feminist, and just placed Hunger on hold with my local library! Looking forward to joining the conversations for this reading

message 49: by Nathalie (last edited Sep 10, 2017 02:55PM) (new)

Nathalie | 5 comments Thank you, Emma. :)
Sounds like a tough read considering its content but important to do so.

message 50: by Benarji (new)

Benarji Anand | 153 comments I almost thought that there isn't any book for this month. Great selection.

« previous 1 3 4