Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Aug/Sept) The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Post your discussion here.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am on a wait list for this one. Library doesn't have the other book yet.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm also on the wait list and due to get it towards the end of the month.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments Same here, wonder why all the libraries have missed A Reliable Wife?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I just got an email from the library that The Little Stranger is ready for me to pick up. Yay!

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have moved up the list to number two. I am excited to start this one too. I am listening to the other one on audio - they don't have it yet in print, but they have the audio? I don't understand that.

message 7: by Simone (new)

Simone St. James (simonestjames) I'm about 100 pages in to The Little Stranger. So far it's excellent. It seems like there isn't much happening, and yet when I went to bed last night after reading it I was creeped out and a bit disturbed by the scene I'd just read.

I must say the writing in this book so far is incredibly good. I am in awe.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I think I need to get this book in print. I am going to listen through another disc, but this might be one that needs read.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments Just received from Book-of-the-Month-Club2 (the former Zooba; 10/month free shipping . . .). SO EXCITED TO START!

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 450 comments I just finished The Little Stranger. I don't want to say too much until the discussion. I will say, however, that boy, can this woman tell a story! I couldn't put it down.

message 11: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Nancy wrote: "I just finished The Little Stranger. I don't want to say too much until the discussion. I will say, however, that boy, can this woman tell a story! I couldn't put it down."

Yes, Sarah Waters can definitely tell a story! She's one of my faves. I can't wait to read this book! I'm next in line for it on my swap site.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm excited to get started on it this weekend.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments Loving this story and I didn't think it was exactly up my alley . . . sucked right in!!! You're right; wonderful storytelling.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am FINALLY able to pick up my copy on Thursday. Can't wait to get started after all of the good things I have heard about this book.

message 15: by Simone (new)

Simone St. James (simonestjames) I just finished this. I really want to talk about the ending, but don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read! It seems like most people are just starting.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just picked mine up from the library! I can't wait to get started tonight! I am in the middle of a few books, but this one has a lot of holds so I need to get through it.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Thanks to contractors being in my home all day yesterday and being sick (thank you dear hubby) all day, I have gotten through more than half of this book. I love the description of Hundreds Hall - the whole feeling of the book reminds me of The Haunting of Hill House by Jackson. I love that the house is a character - can't wait to finish!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I should be finished tonight or tomorrow. I'm loving it! I'm also glad I picked up Night Watch by Waters now.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments Promised myself I'd plow through this on the drive home from vacation -- fell asleep! No reflection on the book, though -- I LOVE it. Yes I have three kids and a full-time job, but I also think I'm a 1) slow reader who 2) feels guilty reading unless it's time for bed . . . TIME TO TURN THAT AROUND!

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments I started listening to this in the car over the weekend. I really am enjoying it. I'm just starting to get to the creepy part. Up til then it was a bit Somerset Maugham/Evelyn Waugh feeling, which I enjoyed. My heart broke at the dog incident - I have 4 and can't imagine being in the position!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments SsssssSsssssssSss! Boo!

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Lisa wrote: "SsssssSsssssssSss! Boo!"

Um, was that in response to something I said?

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments No, just creepy, haunted house noises! ^_^

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Lisa wrote: "No, just creepy, haunted house noises! ^_^"

In that case - eek! I'm so frightened!

message 25: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 16 comments I'm sure glad I'm not reading this while living in an old creeky home!

message 26: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 16 comments I'm on page 389 and am creeping myself out reading this before bed at night (even though I don't live in a creeky old home). TGIF- and tomorrow's Saturday! I hope to finish this at some OTHER time than before bed!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Oh but that's the best time to read it! I love creeping myself out late at night with a spooky book.

message 28: by Aylin (last edited Sep 05, 2009 05:36AM) (new)

Aylin | 16 comments DONE. Here's my "review".

This was a really good book and also out of my typical genres since I think I must have a low threshold for being creeped out and (unlike Lisa) I can't say I entirely love it. ; )

I was on a mission to finish this up before it got too late so I wouldn't be reading it in bed in the dark with just the lone light of my booklight- again. Now maybe I'll be able to go back to having a foot stick out from under the sheet without it feeling exposed to dark forces.

It is also due back at the library soon so I made the deadline- it was a page turner and hard to put down I'll admit. This was a very well written, detailed, subtly crafted story. It took an interesting twist towards the end and I saw what was happening but that did not make it less creepy for me. It just made me plot out a rigid reading schedule with the prominent feature being that I would not finish reading it in the dark right before sleeping. Period.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I like to sleep with one foot out of the covers too! I, however, never fear a dark force grabbing my toe. I instead feel the presence standing over me and pressing down on my shoulders, so I'm afraid to move a muscle or even breathe. Bwaaahaha!

message 30: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Based on these comments, I am so glad I am listening to this in the car rather than reading it in bed! I have comments to make, which since I'm not done are not really spoilers, but do give away plot for others if they are only starting. But I can't go into the other discussion because I'm afraid I'll read the spoiler comments and ruin all my fun! What a delightful quandary to be in!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Little Stranger (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Waters (other topics)