Writerpedia discussion

introductions > What's Your Specialty?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Right now my only specialty is giving book recommendations. I read so many books, I can give you enough titles to last you the year.

message 2: by Cassandra (last edited Mar 03, 2008 12:10PM) (new)

Cassandra My specialty is mythology and folklore, especially Celtic fairy mythos. I've studied the stories associated with many religions from a psychological/anthropological point of view. I'm currently studying Native American beliefs and the FUTHARK (Norse runes).

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I like writing short fantasy and fiction

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Um... I can think of great scenes for stories I haven't even read, but hear about. Or so my friends say...

message 5: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I like to write fiction/fantasy/mystery. I'd really like to read up on Mythology. It's fascinating!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kenzie,

I love Mythology. If you don't mind me recommending a book, I'd start with Bulfinch's Mythology.

Anyways, I like writing short stories, novels, plays, screenplays, and flash fiction. My specialities as far as genre are fiction, fantasy, non fiction travel memoirs, and historical mysteries.

message 7: by James (new)

James (signal20) | 41 comments Mod
My specialty would be law enforcement, fishing/outdoors, and Florida. Hopefully one day it will be writing.

message 8: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Thanks Amanda!

message 9: by Hilda (new)

Hilda | 4 comments Hello,

My writing-related specialties are technical writing, translations (Spanish/English in either *direction*) and editing.

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 47 comments my specialty is definitely fantasy. i'd like to write more realistic fiction and science fiction, but i just can't stay away from fantasy!!! all of my realistic fiction/science fiction turns out like crap.

message 11: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin My specialty is writing short stories or books of fantasy. Also poetry, too.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 5 comments My specialties in writing are sports (especially hockey) in both non-fiction & fictional forms, fiction (mostly short stories because despite my longwindedness, I have an extremely challenging time finishing a novel), and editing.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments I would have to say my specialty is working with teenagers. I've taught high school English and drama for over ten years and last June my first young adult novel, Songs for a Teenage Nomad, was published by Hip Pocket Press. People think I'm a bit crazy but I can't imagine not working with teenagers - they are inspiring and complex and full of dreams, which makes them a lot of fun to work with even on difficult days.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) My specialty is fantasy for sure with mixes of other things like science fiction and romance.
But I love mythology! I'm thinking of writing a mythology book. Probably the best mythology for me is Greek/Roman, Egyptian and Norse.

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb Radmore (frontstreet) | 3 comments My specialty is book reviewing.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth My specialty is mystery, with my debut mystery novel, A REAL BASKET CASE, being one of four mystery books nominated for the Best First Novel of 2007 category of the Agatha Awards (named for Agatha Christie). The sequel, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET (the amateur sleuth is a gift basket designer--can you tell?) will be published in May, 2009, and I've also published a few mystery short stories.

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Hi Beth and everybody, I'm fairly new to Goodreads and don't think I've contributed to this group before, but I like the question about specialties. It's interesting to read what everyone else is doing. Before I mention my specialty, I have a question for the group.

I'm looking to read urban fantasies that feature witches. I'm not sure if these come under the paranormal heading or not. Can anyone supply me with names of authors and/or their books?

Although I write short stories in different genres, plus personal essays, and reviews, my main specialty these days is white-collar crime, amateur sleuth mysteries set in Vancouver B.C.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Hi all,
This is my first foray into groups on Good Reads and it's nice to see so many participating. I think the thing readers/writers like best is talking about reading/writing. My specialty is fiction, my books (BEAUTY, HAWKE'S COVE, CAMEO LAKE, The FORTUNE-TELLER'S DAUGHTER and SUMMER HARBOR) all have to do with relationships, and pretty much each one deals with a secret that needs to be revealed, or a mind-set that needs to be adjusted.
As for advice to Deborah on urban witches, I wasn't sure I could help but then remembered that I did read a modern 'witch' novel not that long ago. Spellbinder: A Love Story with Magical Interuptions By Melanie Rawn. Years ago a book of short vampire fiction came out, Night Bites, edited by Victoria A. Brownworth (Seal Press) which is certainly of the genre of fantasy. And really funny in places. I recommend it if you can find a copy.

message 19: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Thanks for mentioning Spellbinder, Susan. I'm starting a list if anyone has any other suggestions.

message 20: by JHHK (new)

JHHK JHHK | 5 comments I write epic action-adventure, satire, and sci-fi fantasy.

message 21: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 35 comments In writing, my specialities are humor, character, research (not necessarily in that order).

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 47 comments the story i'm writing now is more urban-fantasy i think

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Under one name it's horror, science fiction, fantasy and poetry and nonfiction. Under the other pseudonym, it's erotic and sweet paranormal, fantasy and science fiction romance.
Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's imagination of fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus true ghost stories in Haunted Richmond, Virginia.

Sapphire Phelan
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.b...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sapphir...

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

message 24: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) My specialty is fantasy, but it's been described more as contemporary. I like describing scenes, which cans trouble for editing stages as i have to weed through every sentece. Ugh... I applaud all who mentioned editing as your specialty.

message 25: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) My specialty is poetry.

message 26: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 11 comments lol I am not sure I have a writing specialty. If I did, I would say fantasy. I love reading it and right now I am working on a urban fantasy story.

message 27: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (theafricangourmet) I am a technical writer of cookbooks

message 28: by A. (new)

A. (Gunawan) | 1 comments I like writing popular science book, recently published are books on solar system and the stars, written in Bahasa Indonesia.

But the market are limited, any suggestion to get more readers?

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul My specialities are website design, multi-media presentations, science (all sorts, but biology and astronomy in particular) and sarcasm.

In writing I limit myself to SF, horror and action adventure - sometimes all three in one work.

message 30: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline Anderson (evangelineanderson) | 3 comments I write mostly erotica. But I am also an MRI tech. So if you need to know something about the medical world, especially diagnostic imaging, I might know.

message 31: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 13 comments Essays, preferably political.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz My specialties are humour, place settings, and introducing large numbers of main characters where only a few are needed.

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (wwwgoodreadscompatriciajsmith) | 8 comments My specialty, ahhhhh, yes, Dreaming, definitely Dreaming. Dreaming of finishing this second novel, I cannot seem to find time to focus on now. Dreaming of having had a better marketing for my first novel.
Dreaming of this world not being such a mess now.
Dreaming that all my wonderful friends here became world famous authors and remember me. lol
Yep, it definitely dreaming, Hummmmm, now if I could only wake up from dreaming and make some of this a reality. lol
Yall have a great day
Patricia
http://www.freewebs.com/blessedbeps

message 34: by Pat (new)

Pat Whitaker (whitakerbooks) | 54 comments Firstly, I try and tell a gripping tale - short, succinct and fast moving, with plenty of drama and a smattering of romance. My stories, regardless of body-count, tend to be ultimately positive.

What I write is nominally 'hard sci-fi' and I am very particular that the science - while not dominating the story, is sound (95% fact and 5% plausible is my mantra). In the questions I raise, I always strive to leave the reader with something to ponder.

Have a look at http://whitakerbooks.wordpress.com or you can read three of them in serialised form, free, at http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp...

message 35: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh, yeah, I totally prefer when the science is at least plausible. I salute you! That is HARD!

message 36: by Sean (new)

Sean (svlehosit) This is a tough question to answer. I want to say I do a good job at mixing humor and horror; or at least I'd like to say that hah.

message 37: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I would have to say Fantasy, and realistic Fiction. Though, recently I have found out through a school project that I am good at Romance too :P

message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz Kyle wrote: "I would have to say Fantasy, and realistic Fiction. Though, recently I have found out through a school project that I am good at Romance too :P
"

lol tell us more :)

message 39: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) More about myself or more about my writing, lol :P

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz Ur writing, you idiot XD.

message 41: by Jade (new)

Jade Um, I love writing fantasy, and am currently in the process of editing my first realistic fiction. I love to study Greek mythology, to me it's fascinating. For anybody else that likes Greek mythology, read the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, they are fantasy, but you would not believe how many facts there are in those books.

message 42: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Kavanagh | 3 comments I write raw stories that breathe fear. Thriller novels that are uncomfortable to read, but like a car crash, you have to look...My first novel, A Child's Wound was published in August 2009 and hits the retail stores the first week of October.

message 43: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 1 comments I am a ruthless and truthful editor. My friends at school would tell you how I gleefully rips to shreds any paper they send my way. Feel free to send me any (prose) you'd like an edit on- I am trying to be more sensitive, I promise.
I love giving and getting book recommendations- especially ones that fit in will with previous likes/dislikes.
As for my own work, I'm just starting out. My poems are simple- usually focused on one concept or event, and including lots of visual stimulation (need to work on incorporating other senses). I am actually a stronger fiction writer. I love internal monologue, probably as a result of my being such a big Jane Austen fan. Inevitably, my protagonists end up being young girls like myself.

message 44: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (windlegends) | 1 comments I write in several sub-genres of speculative fiction: dark fantasy, dark romance, paranormal/supernatural romance, alternate history, horror, SF/futuristic, sword & sorcery, myth/legend. My favorite genre is dark fantasy because I love creating worlds and characters. I am known for my signature Reaper novels in which the alpha hero is a shapeshifter (part vampire/part werewolf). You can find them in several series I write: WindVerse, WindWorld, DemonWind, and WesternWind (which is post-apocalyptic western). I have written over 80 novels and 70 have been published. I also have a huge writer's resource section on my website at www.windlegends.org

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Specialty, huh?

I'd have to say that it has to do with Historical, Mythological, and Fantasy Fiction. I have a passion for Irish and Japanese history, myth, lore, legend, and culture; especially those of ancient times. This means the druids and pagans, and in regard to Japan, the samurai and geisha.

In books, I tend to look for a mix of genres. Romance, adventure, history, family, mythology, fantasy. That is what I am trying to incorporate into the book that I am currently writing. =)

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox I write about me, my family. Actually, I'm known as a sort of literary exhibitionist. Here's my book Musical Chairs

A quick summary:
Musical Chairs explores one family's history of mental health diagnoses and searches to define the cusp between a '90s working-class childhood and the trouble of adapting to a comfortable life in the suburbs. In order to understand her restlessness, Jennifer reflects on years of strip-dancing, alcoholism, and estrangement. Inspired by the least likely source, the family she left behind, Jennifer struggles towards reconciliation. This story is about identity, class, family ties, and the elusive nature of mental illness.

message 47: by Beth (new)

Beth My specialty is writing mystery novels. I have a Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series with Five Star and just signed a contract with Midnight Ink for a new series about Mandy Tanner, a whitewater river ranger.

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I'm pretty good at the occult subjects.

message 49: by Blanca (new)

Blanca (blancadaver) | 9 comments I write about insignificant matters, about tea and water, about nature and the world. I write about life-ruiners and the art of ruining lives, I write with my hands, and in my hands lies pieces of my heart.

:1

message 50: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Do you listen to Flyleaf?

« previous 1 3