Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Horror > Machine Girl (Noburo Iguchi) 2008

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments Machine Girl (Noburo Iguchi)

Your Typical SPOILER Manufacturer:

Last night I watched Machine Girl. I think someone recommended it on one of these threads a few months ago. It was pretty entertaining. I can't really say it's horror, but kind of an horrific action film. The packaging claims it is an "extreme gore" film.

A young girl named Ami attends college, gets good grades, plays basketball, and is admired by all. But her younger brother is beaten to death by a gang led by the son of a Yakuza gangster, and she sets out to take revenge. Along the way she is caught by the mob boss, is tortured and has her arm cut off. She is taken in by Miki, a sibling who also lost a brother to this sadistic gang and together they plan to avenge their dead. Ami replaces her missing hand with a gatlin-gun style machine gun and they are set to go.

The direction was interesting; there are lots of scenes where Ami is just being a girl and the direction is like your typical teen film/after school special. This is sharply contrasted with scenes of extreme violence that are done in a really humorous way....I kept thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (it's just a flesh wound!), with high pressure hoses spurting blood everywhere. You might also see a connection stylistically to a film like Kung Fu Hustle.

I'd recommend it to anyone on this group who loves campy (and extreme) horror, or anyone that enjoys grindhouse films....in a way this film is a lot like Planet Terror only without the zombies....

message 2: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Thanks Phillip! I've read about this and it seems fun:) I'll check it out.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments it's something i'm pretty sure you'll enjoy, alex!

....a good bit of the ol' ultraviolence....

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

This was directed by the same guy that did Tokyo Gore Police, right?

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments i don't know, i haven't seen that one. this director and the genre is fairly new to me.

message 6: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 250 comments I just watched Chcago, the besyt modern musical in my opinion. I love the songs, the danes, the comedy, the great acting. The creative use of song and dance.
I had forgotten what fun it was. REALLY ENJOYED IT.

message 7: by Phillip (last edited Aug 20, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments ummmm, not sure what that has to do with machine girl, but you go maryanne, do your thing!

i was semi-forced to watch chicago on an airplane once and had to use that little paper bag they give you to contain my reaction to it.