What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Baby alligator arrives in box of oranges? [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 222 comments We had an alligator on campus today (long story) and a student remembered a book from childhood where a baby alligator is delivered to a woman's house with some oranges she has ordered from Florida. I too remember this book and cannot remember when or why I read it. A few more details. We think the alligator lived in the bathroom and there may have been a scene in which it thwarts an attempted mugging. Any thoughts?
Oh- if I read it as a child, it would have been in the late 70s/ early 80s, but I may be remembering it from cousins or sibling. The student in question would have been a young child in the early 90s.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 196 comments Are you sure is wasn't a boa constrictor? Crictor

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I had this book, but I can't remember the title. My copy was yellow. Hmm...

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 107 comments The attempted by mugging is definitely from Crictor -- he wraps up a burglar in his coils and holds him until the police arrive.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 196 comments Could it be one (or more) of the Lyle the Crocodile books? The first one is called The House on East Eighty-eighth Street, and they find Lyle living in their new house's bathtub. He is a hero figure in some of the books, like, in Lovable Lyle, he saves a neighbor from drowning after she has been sending him hate mail. Not sure I remember a mugging, but you could check!

message 6: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 101 comments In The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enwright, the town policeman and his wife have an alligator they keep in their bathtub that I'm pretty sure was delivered to them in a box of oranges... later in the story the main characters are given the alligator and it lives in a water tank outside, until there are floods and it's washed out and disappears...

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 222 comments Hmm.. I'm sure it's not Crictor, since both myself and my student thought of this book while watching a baby alligator walk around campus. I may be confusing the Lyle books with The Four Story Mistake. I'll check this week and see. Thanks for all the help!

Abigail (42stitches) | 22 comments I thought of Tomie De Paola's Bill and Pete series. They do eventually make it to America, but I don't believe they get mailed. They are always saving the day in some way though...

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna | 222 comments I looked at The Four Story Mistake online and that's not it. I don't think it was a book in the Lyle series either. My student has a very clear mental image of a box of oranges arriving from Florida to somewhere in the north, maybe northeast even, with a very green baby alligator next to very orange oranges. Bill and Pete are way too new. This book would have been written pre- 1993 and most likely pre- 1990. We think the alligator loved with an elderly lady, not a family and in a city, not a small town. It definitely was an alligaotor and not a boa constrictor or other kind of snake.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 196 comments I'm sure I've found it! Elizabeth and Larry by Marilyn Sadler!

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Larry...

Description of a video based on the book, from parenthood.com, says, "On the same video, kids will warm to the funny tale of “Elizabeth and Larry,” in which kind, elderly Elizabeth gets the surprise of her life when she opens a crate of Florida oranges to find a baby alligator inside! Larry the crocodile and Elizabeth soon become inseparable, even doing household chores together. The tale is adapted from the picture book by Marilyn Sadler and Roger Bollen."

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 222 comments !! We are 99% sure this is the book. Going to get a copy from the library today and make sure.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Kate, Thank you.
Anna, That's wonderful! Please come back and let us know for sure, and if it's the book, we can marked it as solved.

message 13: by Anna (last edited Aug 21, 2009 02:11PM) (new)

Anna | 222 comments I haven't had a chance to reread this one, but my student says absolutely it's Elizabeth and Larry. So mystery solved! Thanks everyone!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks Anna. And Kate, and everyone.