Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments hmm...can't believe I haven't made this thread sooner! This series is absolutely brilliant, and I canNOT rave about it enough.

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon [image error] [image error] The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

GR Outlander summary:

Unrivaled storytelling...unforgettable characters...rich historical detail...these are the hallmarks of Diana Gabaldon's work. Her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels have earned the praise of critics and captured millions of readers. Here is the story that started it all, introducing two remarkable characters, Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser, in a spellbinding novel of passion and history that combines exhilarating adventure with a love story for the ages...

Outlander
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments I've only read the first two so far but I loved them. I had to take a bit of a break as I have so many books to read right now and this series could easily take up all of my time. I can't wait to start Voyager!

This is some of the very best historical fiction I have EVER read.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm completely in love with Jamie ;o)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments no kidding! Voyager is waaaaay better then Dragonfly in Amber, in my opinion. In fact...Voyager is easily my second favorite of the series.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments Is Outlander your first favorite?
Okay, now I'm even more excited to read Voyager :)

message 5: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Outlander is the standout for me. There is just something special in how Jamie and Claire's relationship begins. Voyager would be my second favorite. It's very fast pace, exciting, and action packed. You just never know with DG. I'm currently finishing up TFC, with hope of reading 6 & 7 soon.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yes it is :) hehe

message 7: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 06, 2009 11:53AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments The Fiery Cross is NOT terrible, the first half might not be as exciting as earlier standards of the other books :P but I still loved it! And the second half is BRILLIANT (Fiona didn't get that far).

Not going to fight about it though, as that is just my opinion :)

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments Fiona wrote: "The Fiery Cross is terrible."

Awww, really? I hate when one book in a series is really bad but you have to get through it to keep going.

message 9: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Aug 06, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

Allison wrote: "The Fiery Cross is NOT terrible, the first half might not be as exciting as earlier standards of the other books :P but I still loved it! Not going to fight about it though, as that is just my opin..."

I'm going to second this. Yes, it is NOT fast paced at all and there are somethings that could have been left out but the 2nd half of the book is quite good.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments Okay, good. That sounds more hopeful :)

message 11: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Aug 06, 2009 01:51PM) (new)

Yeah, don't listen to the old bird :P

TFC has a lot more of Roger too, which I'm not sure you've met yet. He's a hottie!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah, that Fiona girl is British...everyone knows they're always cranky.

:D

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments nah, I don't think anyone who gets some regularly from Jamie could ever be cranky :)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments lol no, I don't think I'd be cranky if I were Claire.
I did meet Roger briefly. I know he marries Brianna (please tell me that my memory's working and that is her name?) and he's in the end of DIA. Haven't thought sexy yet but maybe I'll get there.

My love for Jamie doesn't leave a lot of room for any other boys just yet!

You all crack me up anyways... thanks for the laughs :)

message 15: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Well after stalling on The Fiery Cross I ended up skipping right over it and reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and didn't miss it a bit. Fiona, you need to finish the series so you can be ready to read Echo with all of us!

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments So what is it that's so bad about TFC?
Is it just that it's slow and boring or is there something more? I don't want any spoilers or anything but I'm just wondering... for a series that people rave about, how is it that one book seems to have gone so wrong? Does DG get back on track with A Breath of Snow & Ashes?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments If you love the first four books, I can guarantee you that if you wade through a bit of the beginning of TFC..the second half will more than reward you for it.

And Breath of Snow and Ashes is basically back to non-stop action. (But be careful what you wish for!)

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments I have only read the first. I am afraid to pick up the second because well I dont know if I can give up that much time. I know when I start it I will not stop until it is done LOL

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 31 comments Renee, I too have read only the first book, although I have all of the books. I want to pace myself because I just loved Outlander. One of my friends read it and likened it to a Harlequin romance book and swore not to read another in the series (I think she secretly dreams about Jamie and will not admit it.) Personally,I think Jamie is pretty adorable.

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments LOL well I do admit it is a bit of a Harliquin with every Harliquin scenario but is that a bad thing? Esp when Jamie is sooooooooo yummy

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments at least there isn't a cheesy picture of Fabio on the cover.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments LMHO whatever happened to him?

message 23: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

He got old. lol.

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments LMHO. DOes anyone remember when he was in Vegas at a roller coaster opening and he got smacked in the face by a goose?

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments hahaha i wish i did remember that!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments its always a goose.

message 27: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Hahaha...when did that happen?

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments LOL I just looked it up on Wiki. It was in 1999. He was at Busch Gardens Williamsberg. He was opening a roller coaster called Apollos Chariot. A goose smacked him in the face on the first drop causing a bloody nose :)

message 29: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

LOL...that's so random!

I just looked on Wiki and I do remember this:
In the season finale of 2004's Average Joe 2: Hawaii, Gil Hyatt was disgusted to learn that Larissa, the pursued woman in the show, had previously dated Fabio. He appeared to reject Larissa as a result in the final sequences of the episode, kicking at the sand and surf on the beach where they were walking and telling the camera that "every guy would understand" and claiming to be no longer interested in pursuing a relationship with Larissa.

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments LOL I know I mean he was trully goosed

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments I just started Voyager yesterday (finally!!) and am LOVING it! I missed Jamie so much :)

message 32: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Enjoy, Jennifer! Voyager was my favorite book of the series.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So all - I also have only read the first two, although I own all of them. I am planning to re-acquaint myself with them in the next couple of months. However, I am having way too much fun reading this thread. I just had the greatest picture of Fabio getting "goosed". My husband keeps asking what I am finding SO funny.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments My favorite series of all time! I've read each book at least twice, sometimes more. Echo in the bone's release is marked on my calender, whatever I'm currently reading will be left in the dust. Can't wait!!

message 35: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Oh geez. Everybody loves these books. The first one is burning a hole in my book shelf. I need to get on it.

message 36: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Felina wrote: "Oh geez. Everybody loves these books. The first one is burning a hole in my book shelf. I need to get on it."

I agree... There is just not enough time to read everything we want to. I have been meaning to pick this up for a long time now.

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 31 comments I love what you all have said and agree with most! Outlander is my favorite and Voyager is my second favorite by far! I have enjoyed them all so much and am currently reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes again in preparation for An Echo in the Bone! I forgot how good it was! Gotta go back and read them all again!
Off to shower so I can go to the bookstore and get my copy ofAn Echo in the Bone!!!!!

message 38: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Lisa wrote: "I love what you all have said and agree with most! Outlander is my favorite and Voyager is my second favorite by far! I have enjoyed them all so much and am currently reading A Breath of Snow and ..."

WHOOOHOOOO! I just read the description on the Borders site and I can't wait to get to it!!!

message 39: by Dorie (last edited Sep 22, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Heather wrote: "That's right....today is the big day!!!! "

Already have mine! Anyone interested in starting a discussion thread for 'Echo'? I would be interested in reading it with others.

Also, did anyone see this bit of news buried in Gabaldon's blog? Something else to look forward to:

I have a short story (well, sort of. Maybe. We hope) under contract for a new anthology (edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois) titled STAR-CROSSED LOVERS. I don't yet know what my story will be titled, but at least I do know what the story's about: I'm going to tell the story of Roger MacKenzie's parents.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments Oh exciting!

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments I've been wondering about it too Heather. I've heard good reviews about it but a lot of people seem to be on the fence on whether to try them or not.

message 42: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 24, 2009 05:59AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments ****SPOILERS UP TO DRUMS OF AUTUMN*****

At first I was wondering what was up with all these men (John and Randall) falling in love with Jamie but then of course, it's Jamie. Who couldn't love him? *grins*

Seriously though I really like him and for a few reasons.

1. He's brave - He defended Claire from the Scottish barbarions (haha)

2. He's honorable - His brother let Jamie live after Culloden and I believe John has the same honor as his brother.

3. He's nice and polite - He was very charming when he met Claire on the Artemis in Voyager (before he knew who she was)

4. He's trustworthy - He befriended Jamie and gained his trust. Liking Jamie is easy, gaining his trust - not so much. Especially when it comes to trusting someone with his son.

John obviously can't help that he loves Jamie but at least he respects him enough to accept his friendship and not attempt anything further.

I haven't come across John again yet since he brought that portrait of Willie to Jamie in Voyager but I am looking forward to reading more about him.

What about you Heather? When did you start to like him?

message 43: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Sep 23, 2009 08:23AM) (new)

Heather wrote: "Has anyone read the Lord John Grey series yet? I'm curious how it is. I'm planning on reading it at some point. I still need to read Breath of Snow and Ashes and Echo in the Bone first though!"

I would love to read his series once I'm done with the Outlander Series. Like all of DG's characters he has a complex personality/story and I believe there is more too him then what we were presented with in Outlander.

Outlander has turned into my comfort read, so I think it would be nice to go back into that world even if it's with a different character.

I'm really excited about the story on Roger's parents. I ♥ Roger!

message 44: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Okay since I'm only about 150 pages through Outlander and I shouldn't be reading this because it contains spoilers. I don't usually have any problem with spoilers but something caught my eye and I have to have some clarification.

Jennifer said that Randall and John fall in love with Jamie? What? Does this get homo-erotic?

message 45: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) I'll agree with Jennifer on all the reasons to love Lord John. I recommend the books featuring him, but I would recommend starting with the book of short stories, "Lord John and the Hand of Devils". The first published book was "Lord John at the Private Matter", but it is the weakest of the series and I don't want anyone to be put off and not read any more because of that one. Plus in the Lord John novels you get to see how he and Jamie became friend again and what happened between them while Jamie was in Hellwater.

Besides all those good reasons, I just enjoy Diana Gabaldon's writing in general. I love her style and her humor, so I'll read anything she writes.

message 46: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Heather, the short stories are more...intertwined. The three short stories fit in between some of the novels. 'Lord John and the Hellfire Club' was actually the first in reading order I believe. There is a character in the 'Succubus' short story that is carried over from the 'Private Matter' novel and also later appears in another novel.

Just to make it easier on yourself, just read them all! LOL!

message 47: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Nope, haven't started it yet. Still reading 'Even'. I haven't had much time to read lately. It's frustrating 'cause I really want to start Echo.

message 48: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Heather, yes I want to know.

message 49: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (meredithgayle) | 7 comments I've got Outlander waiting for me on the hold shelf. I have started to read it many times, but have never gotten to where the woman goes back to the past. Maybe this time I will.

message 50: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 24, 2009 06:28AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments Felina - I'm so sorry about my spoilers! I've fixed my post :) It doesn't get all homo-erotic. I'll let Heather answer your question but I really don't think you do want to know. At least I wouldn't but I hate spoilers and both of those will be MAJOR ones! Are you really sure?

Meredith - The worst (and by that I don't mean bad, only not so good) part of the books that I've come across is the time before Claire goes back in time. Keep reading... you'll be hooked on Jamie like the rest of us!

Heather - What an intriguing post... I can see a nice weekend of reading ahead of me now. I can't wait to find out what happens in Drums and discuss :D

Dorie - Thanks for the positive reviews. I think I will pick up the books next time I see them if you really like them. I try to get reviews from people on GR that I know have similar taste as I do and go from there. Is Jamie actually a character in the John series or just on the side with John relaying the story?

« previous 1 3