Historical Fictionistas discussion

Buddy Reads > Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (starting first week of October!)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 06, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Suite Française  by Irène Némirovsky

Beginning in Paris on the eve of the Nazi occupation in 1940. Suite Française tells the remarkable story of men and women thrown together in circumstances beyond their control. As Parisians flee the city, human folly surfaces in every imaginable way: a wealthy mother searches for sweets in a town without food; a couple is terrified at the thought of losing their jobs, even as their world begins to fall apart. Moving on to a provincial village now occupied by German soldiers, the locals must learn to coexist with the enemy—in their town, their homes, even in their hearts.

When Irène Némirovsky began working on Suite Française, she was already a highly successful writer living in Paris. But she was also a Jew, and in 1942 she was arrested and deported to Auschwitz, where she died. For sixty-four years, this novel remained hidden and unknown.

Heather and I have already talked about wanting to read this...I have no idea when we'll get around to it, but is anyone else interested?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah, I knew we'd talked about it, so I figured I'd make a thread here :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments when will you have time for it?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments DANG! I forgot about Dangerous Liaisons. Yeah, I'm reading that too.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yup, September works for me. The only thing I have planned then is that Rome one.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Oh my goodness this book sounds awesome. I won't have time to read it until probably October (boo). I'll have to catch up with you guys on this one.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments nope, I'll be happy to wait :) nothing is set in stone!

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yay! I have to start writing all this stuff down.

message 9: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Okay so does this mean we start reading the book in October or we're ready to discuss it in October?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments We'll probably discuss while we read.

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Excellent

message 12: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments I bought this at my library for a quarter! This was before all the hype, I jsut picked it up because I thought it sounded interesting and it was a quarter. Right after, I found out all this stuff about her and how she died, and then the book started popping up on "best" lists, and people were saying she was this great undiscovered talent, and I was like 'Score!'
Of course, I haven't read it yet. I have this bad habit of putting off reading books I own, because I own them; they'll always be there. Instead I keep reading my library books, because they have to go back. It's utterly ridiculous.
Anyone else do that? (please say I'm not the only one.)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ...*raises hand*

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Hmm... sounds interesting. I could read it for October... is that when we'd be starting?

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments Ohhh I loved this book.

message 16: by Vicki (last edited Aug 07, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

Vicki Nice! I am going to get it soon then. It looks quite interesting.

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I can't read books from the library. The due date starts freaking me out and then I feel like I can't do anything except read the book (I even take it with me into the bathroom....to pee) and then I don't enjoy it. I either have to own the book or borrow it from someone who doesn't need it back for a while. But that doesn't stop me from owning about 100 books that I haven't read.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments I read this a few months ago for my local book club... it'll be interesting to hear what this group thinks. It's definitely a book I won't forget... I think the backstory of the author makes her stories even more poignant... and I'll leave it there!

JG (Introverted Reader) I'd like to join in. I'll probably just have to be reminded.

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments I will definitely try to read this come October. I'll have to make myself a note. Otherwise, I will schedule up all of my reading and get it all lined up (because I am a list person), and then I will have to wiggle this in. Of course, there is the chance that I will "list up" anyways and then see something exciting and toss the list and start over. I think I just like the planning...

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I just ordered it on PBS. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I just got it from PBS not too long ago. I am excited too, I may start it after I finish The Name of the Wind, because being back to work, I feel my reading may be slowing down :(

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I've been wanting to read this for a while. I'll definitely try to join you ladies, but I can't make a ton of promises because of school reading (boo!).

message 24: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yep

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yes, think so! :)

JG (Introverted Reader) I'm glad you reminded me. I'll request it at the library soon.

message 27: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments Vicki wrote: "I just got it from PBS not too long ago. I am excited too, I may start it after I finish The Name of the Wind, because being back to work, I feel my reading may be slowing down :("

I hadn't checked this in awhile. How did you like Name of the Wind? I'm reading it right now and loving it (though I didn't like the beginning)

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I really enjoyed his writing. He has a great style, a few parts were a little slow in my opinion, but overall, it was a nicely developed character driven novel. Several instances I just loved the language. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I think I'll be starting it around the beginning of next week.

:)

message 30: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments Oh, I don't know if I'm going to have time for this. I really want to read it, too. And I've had it forever. Something might have to get bumped...

message 31: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I've read the first few chapters. I like it so far.

message 32: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Well you are all better than me. I only got the first chapter done and thats like a few pages. I am looking forward to it and this weekend is looking good for some reading time!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I am making Fiona happy and reading one of her favorite books,Fallen Angel. I'm actually about to start it. I am bumping it up because Becky wants to borrow it and I'm scared of making her wait (she is mean).

message 34: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments I don't think she got the memo, Allison...

JG (Introverted Reader) I'm glad you reminded me. I'll request it in at the library now.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I started this last night, really liking it so far!

What do you guys think about the characters? Who are your favorites?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I've just read up to chapter 6, so we're at almost the same place Heather :) I've just met one other couple in chapter 5-they work at a bank.

So I agree, I don't think I know anyone well enough yet to decide anything about them, although I think the couple was portrayed in the best light so far...at least they seem devoted to each other.

message 38: by Felina (last edited Oct 04, 2009 11:16AM) (new)

Felina | 500 comments The only character that has really stuck out to me so far is the oldest son (I think it said he was 17) in the 'family story'. He seems like he has a lot to prove. I kind of hope he gets to. He reminds me of my brother.

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments I read Suite Francaise earlier this year for book club... will be interesting to hear what everyone thinks when they're done.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments Overall, yes... especially the last third...the rest I'll leave for the discussion...

message 41: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
I just picked up the audio from the library yesterday, so I will be joining my first group read shortly. Whooo hooo!

message 42: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I feel the same way you do Heather. I think its well written and the story is interesting but reading it is kind of like homework right now. I think I'm going to take a break.

message 43: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I still need to finish The First Man in Rome. I was really enjoying the book but then I had alot going on the first of September and I never got back to it. Lame I know.

message 44: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I am going to read Pillars. I got a copy off PBS. I think I probably won't get started on it until after Halloween but November is a dead month for me so hopefully I'll be able to catch up on my books. I have 7 books started! I had to add in some scary ones for Halloween. I guess scary will continue on into November. ;)

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments Suite Francaise improves as you move into it-- my fave was the last third when the Germans move into the village and how the different villagers cope-- plus there's an interesting love story there... I'm not sure I would have made it through if it wasn't reading it for a book club... one thing I did love was the use of poetic justice for some of the characters... the author pulls no punches with how she deals with some of the original characters. But book is disjointed and you can definitely tell that it's an unfinished work.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments I loved Pillars of the Earth... but it was HUGE so even though it wasn't boring... it still took a few weeks for me to read (900 pps)... I really enjoyed it... think mini-series... lots of characters running in and out of each others lives...