Scarlett’s Page Turners discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (readingmaniac777) | 737 comments Mod
http://www.teenreads.com/features/ult...
this is a long list, I haven't gone through it all yet but its got some good books on it

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (777readersfan) | 518 comments Mod
Awesome! Lots of good books!

message 3: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Thanks for sharing, Emily! I want to read 1776. My family has the book, but I haven't read it yet.

message 4: by Emily (new)

yeah 1776 does look really good

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments I've always wanted to read 1776 as well, but everytime I go to pick it up it just looks so big for a history book! haha. I've heard great reviews for it though! And thanks for the list!!!

message 6: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) There are some other history books that are much thicker, Holly. :-) I can hardly believe that I read the whole Alexander Hamilton biography written by Ron Chernow. :-P Hamilton is one of my favorite historical figures, so that's why I read it. Normally I feel reluctant to read thick books, but I do my best to read them anyway. I know how you feel. :-)

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments I don't mind thick books, if it's something I'm really excited to read. I've read some huge history books about WWII and stuff, but I never got into the era of 1776... which is why I keep putting it off lol. I should just force myself to read it :P

message 8: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) hee hee, that's okay! Only read it if you are genuinely interested in it. :-) I'm a big fan of the american revolutionary war, so that's why I'm going to read 1776. ;-) I'm not a big fan of world war 2, but I do like to study about it sometimes. :-) I'm more interested in the lives of Americans living in the 1940s. I like learning how people lived back then (from the 1920's up to the present time).

message 9: by Emily (new)

I like reading about the Civil War

message 10: by Kim (new)

I'm so pathetic - most of what I know about the Civil War I learned from reading Gone With the Wind!

message 11: by Emily (new)

well there was a lot in that book...about Atlanta and the country during the war

message 12: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of that period too but I've never read 1776. I'll have to add it to my list!!

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments Another really good Civil War read is The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. It's a novel, so it won't be as factual as a history book, but it's a really good read and filled with lots of emotion.

message 14: by Emily (new)

well I don't exactly wanna read a history book, I like novels

message 15: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I've heard Widow of the South was good, I'll add it to my list too, thanks Holly!

message 16: by Kim (new)

I'm adding it to my list too!

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments Anytime! :) I just started reading March by Geraldine Brooks. It's about Mr. March from Little Women while he's in the first year of the Civil War... I'm really excited... it's supposed to be good!!

message 18: by Emily (new)

That does sound good!

message 19: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Oooooh, that March book sounds good!!

message 20: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) It does sound good! :-) I'm a Little Women fan, so I hope that book will appeal to me! Let us know if you like it, Holly!

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Gabor (nicolegabor) | 1 comments Hi friends! I am a new author on Goodreads and excited to be here. My new teen novel, Catwalk, launches next month. I love to read, and am currently reading Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and American Royals by Catherine McGee. Loving them!

Right now, I'm running a book giveaway for Catwalk. Enter to win a free copy!
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...