Drama and Theatre discussion

Choosing Plays for a High School Theatre Program

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments Hi, I'm looking for inspiration.

I teach High School Theatre and am stuck in my search for next year's season. I usually do two shows, one of which is a musical. Last year we adapted our own plays and it was a long process, but one that was great for the students. I had some thoughts about Dracula or Frankenstein, but the plays I've read are not very good. I am also considering a Christmas play (we've done The Best Christmas Pageant Ever). I'd like to stay away from fairy tales, but that's usually my fallback.

I need something for 10-20 students, with about 3-4 boys and the rest girls. If anyone has suggestions I would love to be inspired by them.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments musicals and straight plays? Challenging or fun or both? Something with lots of drama and serious acting?

I wonder if the rights are out for Little Women yet -- that's mostly girls, and then boys.

Urinetown has probably more of an even number of boys and girls, but you might be able to do change that a little.

Chicago is mostly women-I know the undergraduate department at my college is doing this next year.

Nine (Kopit/Yeston) is almost all women--the college where I did my MA did it about 6 years ago--but with Rob Marshall's film coming out in November, the rights may not be available at the moment. (It also has a lot of sexual situations, which may not go over well in a high school production).

Uh...The Sound of Music? (Captain, Max, Rolf, Friedrich, Kurt) and then the rest are women...

I'll keep thinking! (I think there was a similar post a bit further down, too).

message 3: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 1 comments Daisy Pulls it Off by Denise Deegan, it's Nancy Drew in a 1920's boarding school in England, lots of fun, and mostly young women, there are 2 male parts, a teacher and the groundskeeper, who turns out to be Daisy's long lost dad. Did this in college, definitely worth checking out!

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour?

Edna Ferbers Stage Door

Clare Booth Luce's The Women

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Euripides' Trojan Women

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments Thanks everyone!

I'm going to do some reading. I love Greek Theatre. Trojan Women? My wheels are turning...

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments For Christmas, there must be a good version of a Christmas Carol out somewhere!

message 8: by Jini (new)

Jini | 1 comments Heck if you want Greek threatre for women, what about Lysistrata? Oh, wait....

Or how about Second Shepherd's Play for Christmas?

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Second Shepherd's play is so funny--if the audience gets all the jokes.

Mee's Big Love is an interesting adaptation of the Greek play by Agamemnon.

Caryl Churchill's Top Girls or Cloud Nine?

Paula Vogel's How I Learned to Drive?

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments My students would love Lysistrata! I might get fired, but they would love it! Maybe I could get away with reading it in my IB class...

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments What does IB stand for? (It's probably blazingly obvious, but I'm stumped!)

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments It's not obvious Jenna, believe me! :) It's International Baccalaureate. It's a program that allows students to take classes that are more internationally focused, and they can earn a diploma that would allow them to more easily go to college in another country. They also earn some college credit, Iike in Advanced Placement classes. Sometimes it's a pain b/c they have special projects that have to be mailed to other countries for grading, but it's a good idea for broadening horizons.

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Christiana thanks for the explanation -- that sounds like a neat program. We had AP and PSEO (Post-Secondary Enrollment Option, where we could enroll in college for our Junior and Senior years of college) but not IB. That sounds like that could have been fun, too!

there's a film version of Lysistrata out there, too. It's either in modern Greek or Italian, I think.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments I've seen clips of one that's in Swedish...I think. I may have to check into that.

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments In Swedish? Really? Where? Youtube?

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments It's part of an educational clip about Greek Theatre. I'll see if I can find it.

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments Ok try this link.

http://player.discoveryeducation.com/...

Lysistrata is toward the end. I hope it works!

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Thanks; I will try to check it out.